What is the 4-2-5 defense?

Dracula

4 Defensive Linemen

2 Linebackers

5 Defensive Backs

It is a newer defensive scheme that has been proven effective against the spread offenses taking over college football. Here is an article about TCU's use of the 4-2-5. They are one of the best to run it in the country and new Trey Haverty learned it when he was an assistant there.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/6/30/5818160/tcu-football-defense-strategy-formations-xs-os-gary-patterson

Like any other scheme it only work as well if the players in the scheme are good. That will be the test, if our personnel as they are, will they be good enough to make it work. I really hope so but, it can't be as big a mess as it was the last half of last season, can it?

From what I saw in the spring game I think our secondary has a chance to actually be pretty good this season...that or our passing game will really struggle.

Brendan Langley should be starting at one CB spot...he had 11 PBUs last season (good for 5th in the SLC) and he only played D for half the season. Rodney Randle has a good shot at the other corner spot. That pair may very well be the 2 fastest guys on the team as well. Sr Llyod Julian is the most experienced CB and will see a lot of action. I feel like the 2nd CB position will be between him and Randle. R-Fr Tariq Gordon is another to keep an watch for as I was told he had a good spring.

The nickelback position is one to keep an eye on. Chaston Brooks got lots of snaps her during the spring game and Terrance Singleton, who will transfer from Baylor this summer, has experience here.

The safeties will be Xavier Bethany and Davon Jernigan I think. Bethany had a bit of a drop off from his So to Jr seasons but has a lot of experience and will be looked to to lead the D. Jernigan had 3 INTs this spring in the 3 scrimmages. We will also have 2 3-Star safeties report this summer in Blinn transfer Jaylon Bowden and Desoto's Caleb Abrom.

From what I saw in the spring game I think our secondary has a chance to actually be pretty good this season...that or our passing game will really struggle.

Brendan Langley should be starting at one CB spot...he had 11 PBUs last season (good for 5th in the SLC) and he only played D for half the season. Rodney Randle has a good shot at the other corner spot. That pair may very well be the 2 fastest guys on the team as well. Sr Llyod Julian is the most experienced CB and will see a lot of action. I feel like the 2nd CB position will be between him and Randle. R-Fr Tariq Gordon is another to keep an watch for as I was told he had a good spring.

The nickelback position is one to keep an eye on. Chaston Brooks got lots of snaps her during the spring game and Terrance Singleton, who will transfer from Baylor this summer, has experience here.

The safeties will be Xavier Bethany and Davon Jernigan I think. Bethany had a bit of a drop off from his So to Jr seasons but has a lot of experience and will be looked to to lead the D. Jernigan had 3 INTs this spring in the 3 scrimmages. We will also have 2 3-Star safeties report this summer in Blinn transfer Jaylon Bowden and Desoto's Caleb Abrom.

from what I saw at the spring game is we have NO passing game

Not gonna say that the passing game isn't a concern for me going into the season but let's also lay this out:

We were without 4 potential starters on the OL (Craven, Ward, Oubre & Treadway)...all should be in the 2-deep this season.

With players being shuffled in and out, it's hard for a QB to get any rhythm.

Believe we only had 1 returning WR from last years 2-deep in the game (Hawthorne). Don't recall seeing Mike Handy in action but he was listed in the roster...could have potentially sat out cause he was dinged up. Lots of work will need to be put in this summer between Earp and the WRs.

Kade didn't play and the threat of him will open up the passing game come fall. He is also capable of being a factor in the passing game.

I think the passing game has the chance to be really good. I would be shocked if Clayton Turner is not seeing a lot of time at WR. For the first time, Lamar has good size at the WR spot with both Hawthorne and Turner listed at 6-4. Lamar will be deep with decent WR's.

I think the passing game has the chance to be really good. I would be shocked if Clayton Turner is not seeing a lot of time at WR. For the first time, Lamar has good size at the WR spot with both Hawthorne and Turner listed at 6-4. Lamar will be deep with decent WR's.

It is possible that he sees time at WR but he left Miami to get a shot at QB. I think the other 3 guys are ahead of him coming outta spring so WR is more than likely his best shot at seeing the field...but he will have to be open to it. I really don't think any of the WR positions are locked up like they have been in the past so it could be a good battle come fall.

if he can throw a spiral, I'd be shocked if he ain't in the running for starting QB. Earp can't pass for diddly squat. However, I think Ray would be happy with 3 yds and a cloud of dust.

4 Defensive Linemen

2 Linebackers

5 Defensive Backs

It is a newer defensive scheme that has been proven effective against the spread offenses taking over college football. Here is an article about TCU's use of the 4-2-5. They are one of the best to run it in the country and new Trey Haverty learned it when he was an assistant there.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/6/30/5818160/tcu-football-defense-strategy-formations-xs-os-gary-patterson

Here's another good article on Gary Patterson's 4-2-5

http://grantland.com/features/hard-knocks-playing-defense-with-tcus-gary-patterson/

Lots of pattern matching/match-up zone principles. Safeties have big responsibilities in the run game. The way Patterson breaks down the D into bite sized chunks for positition groups, while still making it confusing for the offense is really the key.

Patterson was/is also famous for using tweeners who maybe didn't fit the traditional hight/weight/speed needs of more traditional systems. He emphasised speed. He turned LB's to DE. Safeties to LB's etc. I think any recruiting advantage there is probably gone now though. Every college team in the country is looking for speed to match up with the spread.

No idea how much our D will look like TCU's, but I don't see any way it doesn't have a lot of influence.

From what I was able to watch in the Spring; the amount of drops by the WR was ridicolous. The QB's didn't look great either. They all had plenty of throws that were no where near their target, but clean up some of those inexcusable drops and the passing game goes from looking terrible to OK'ish.

From what I was able to watch in the Spring; the amount of drops by the WR was ridicolous. The QB's didn't look great either. They all had plenty of throws that were no where near their target, but clean up some of those inexcusable drops and the passing game goes from looking terrible to OK'ish.

I dont think Ray and chuckster are gonna be passing much anymore...as little as possible..ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

I dont think Ray and chuckster are gonna be passing much anymore...as little as possible..ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

There's plenty of legitimate criticism to be made of Woodard, but I don't get all the hate on the offense:

2nd Scoring

3rd total offense

3rd Scoring

1st total offense

That's conference games only so there's no padding from cupcake games. Offense hasn't been the issue. The passing game was bad last year, but if you don't enjoy watching Kade carry the ball all day....then you just don't like football.

There's plenty of legitimate criticism to be made of Woodard, but I don't get all the hate on the offense:

2nd Scoring

3rd total offense

3rd Scoring

1st total offense

That's conference games only so there's no padding from cupcake games. Offense hasn't been the issue. The passing game was bad last year, but if you don't enjoy watching Kade carry the ball all day....then you just don't like football.

5th in first downs, 7th in 3rd down conversions, 10th in 4th down conversions....you gotta be able to throw the ball.

5th in first downs, 7th in 3rd down conversions, 10th in 4th down conversions....you gotta be able to throw the ball.

The Southland Conference sent Sam Houston and McNeese to the playoffs in 2015. Sam Houston had the best total offense and scoring offense but a so-so rushing, passing, and scoring defense. McNeese went the other route. They could rush and score pretty well but produced a middle of the pack passing attack. McNeese did have the conference best total and scoring defense. One threw the ball well and the other, not so much, but both went to the playoffs with a combined 16-2 conference record. Lamar beat Sam Houston and lost to McNeese by 6, when McNeese still had something to play for.

I can see why Woodard wanted to go in a different defensive direction for 2016. Let's hope that Coach Traverty and the 4-2-5 can deliver in 2016.

Of course the 2015 offense was pretty good despite the spotty passing game. I think people are selling Carson Earp short. Before he got hurt he was much more effective than Joe Minden. As for after his injury, I'm not sure Earp was ever healthy down the stretch. All Earp would have to be is good. He doesn't have to be great as long as he has receivers who actually catch the ball. I think Earp will be the starter when we open the season and I also predict we won't regret it. If all of you who have said the defense looks better, I'm glad because frankly it can't get much worse than it was last season. Before things all fell apart at the end of last year the defense was responsible for a couple of losses in games we should have won. The meltdown at the end of the season was just painful to watch. Sometimes new blood is just what the doctor ordered and we had a nice recruiting class. Time to get it done on the field. Man, I can't wait until fall. When I was a kid I loved summer but not any more. It's not a break it is something to be endured until football starts. I hate summer with it's humidity, mosquitoes and soul killing heat. Summers in SE Texas really do suck. C'mon September.

I feel like all we need from Earp is good play. This offense isn't going to go out any throw for 300 and 3 or 4 TDs like we did under Keuck with Berry. I feel like everything with our offense actually centers around Earp's legs...yes his legs. He has proven that if you sell out on Kade he can bust a 70 yarder like he did against Nicholls. We already know teams will be keying on Kade. If Earp proves that you have to have a spy on him as well then that opens up the passing game and you will get a lot of man coverage on the back end. Then it's up to the WR to get open.

Improvement on the defense would have to seem like a certainty looking at last year. Front 7 depth will be the key to me. We lost most of our LBs from last season and we added an extra DL position with the scheme switch...then came the dismissal of our top returning defensive player who just happened to be a DL making it that much thinner. During the Crawfish Bowl we used some guys who played LB last season as DEs...not sure if that was out of necessity with players being held out or if it is a permanent move for them.