Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cowboys/Texans 2016 Draft

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Cowboys/Texans 2016 Draft

In less than 2 hours the draft begins. There is already some draft news to talk about.

A top 5 talent is going to slide down to the middle of the 1st round, if not later because of a degenerative knee problem. UCLA LB Myles Jack is a special athlete who deserves to be a top pick in this draft. Jack tore the meniscus in his knee early last fall ending his final college season on a sour note. He then dropped out of school to concentrate fully on his rehab which he has done. It has been a long and difficult process. A process that kept him from participating at the Senior Bowl, the NFL scouting combine and the UCLA pro day from one extent to another. It's a shame because he's said to be a great kid and he is definitely a great athlete but his knee issue is going to cost him a bunch of money in this draft. It was made worse today when Jack admitted to the media that the possibility exists he will need microfracture knee surgery at some point. The issue is he might need it, then again, he might never need it as long as he's in the NFL. You gotta feel bad for the guy. It not like Notre Dame LB Jaylon Smith though. He tore about every ligament in his knee in the last college game of his career and it was complicated by nerve damage in his knee and ankle. This is a guy who may have been the top pick in the draft who may not get drafted until the middle rounds on Day 3. That is sad.

Another LB bomb was dropped today as well. It has been reported that Alabama ILB Reggie Ragland has an enlarged Aorta. In case you aren't in pre-med the Aorta is the main artery in the body so news like this will make you sit up and take notice. The fact is an enlarged aorta is a cause for concern and will need to be closely monitored but it shouldn't affect his draft position which is projected to be anywhere from the middle to the end of the 1st round.

The king sized POS that killed Saints defensive lineman Will Smith has been indicted for 2nd degree murder. Good.

One prediction I'll make is I bet there is a lot of wheeling and dealing tonight. There were already two huge deals made when the Rams traded up from 15 to the #1 spot in the draft and the Eagles, who had traded up to the 8th pick earlier this year in a deal with Miami, made another deal to move up to #2. I can't remember this ever happening in my lifetime so why would anyone doubt that there are more trades in the works as teams jockey for position to get the player they want in the draft? There is no reason at all. In fact on NFL.com there is a rumor that Cleveland, who traded the 2nd pick to Philly is looking to use some of the picks they picked up in that deal to move back up in the draft.

Last year just around this time of year Kevin Costner starred in a movie called draft day as a beleaguered GM for the sad sack Browns who wheels and deals his way through the top ten picks in the draft to come out smelling like a rose. It was actually a fairly entertaining movie and danged if Cleveland didn't make some moves reminiscent of the movie that had deja vu written all over. Trouble was the movie never showed the result of the movie, if all those moves really did turn the Browns around, there was just a lot of hope. Last year the real Browns still sucked, mainly because the real life front office wasn't as good or stable as the movie Browns were. Now there is whole new regime from the GM down to the head coac h and the coaching staff. The first move they made was to sign RGIII to be their QB. Nice fit for RGIII with new head man Hue Jackson. Then came "the deal" that said, 'hey, this is a good move, this isn't the same old Browns!" The Browns only had to move back 6 spots and they still had a top ten pick and 5 more draft picks besides in this draft and next year's draft combined. These weren't cheesy 6th or 7th round picks either, they got 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders. Damn this new GM seems to know what he's doing! Now there are rumors they want to move back up. Okay, very Draft Day-ish, let's see where this goes. There have been more rumors flying around about trading picks than I have heard in a long time. This draft ought to be entertaining for sure.

All I can say to that is Go Cowboys and Go Texans! I'll be posting the 'Boys and Texans picks as they come up and I'll mention any trades that take place no matter who is involved. This supposed to be fun so if you want to weigh in and let us know if you are all in on the picks or pissed about them please do!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Cowboys/Texans 2016 Draft

The draft has begun and the Rams have been on the clock for 4 minutes. If you are interested DallasCowboys.com has their draft show live on the website featuring Bryan Broaddus, CBSSports.com's Dane Brugler and DC.com staff writer David Helman. There is a war room cam on the Cowboys and the big news is the Cowboys RB's coach is sitting next to Jerry.
    It seems like the Rams are milking every second of their 10 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The pick is in. The Rams select QB Jared Goff from Cal.

No surprise here and now Philadelphia is on the clock.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Pick 2 is in. The Eagles select QB Carson Wentz from North Dakota State.

Again, no surprise here you only wonder why it took all ten minutes to make the pick.

The San Diego Chargers are on the clock.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The pick is in. SD takes DE Joey Bosa from Ohio State!

This IS a surprise. Wow. Dallas is now on the clock and they will have either Jalen Ramsey or Ezekiel Elliott. We will know in about 7 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Damn, the cowboys are milking the whole 10. 30 second left on the clock. I'm going crazy and they have made a decision. Jerry is on the phone with the guy they are picking and the pick is in. Just waiting for Goodell to announce the pick.

With the 4th pick in the draft Dallas selects RB Ezekiel Elliott for Ohio State! Hot damn am I happy!!!

Jacksonville is on the clock.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

With the 5th pick in the draft Jacksonville selects CB Jalen Ramsey from Florida State.

The Ravens are on the clock.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The pick is in and the Raven select OT Ronnie Stanley from Notre Dame.

San Francisco is on the clock.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The pick is in and the 49ers select DE DeForest Buckner

Cleveland was on the clock but they have made a trade. They have switched with Tennessee. Tennessee is on the clock.

The pick is in and Tennessee selects OT Jack Conclin from Michigan State.

What is happening to Laremy Tunsil?

Tennessee gets the 8th pick and a 6th rounder and Cleveland gets Tennessee's 15th pick in the 1st and even more picks in this year's and next year's draft.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Holy crap! Tampa Bay was on the clock but they have made a trade. The Chicago Bears have traded with Tampa Bay and they are on the clock.

Chicago moved up from #11 to #9 and had to give up a another pick to the Bucs.

The pick is in and Chicago select OLB Leonard Floyd from Georgia.

Cowboys division rival NY Giants are on the clock.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The pick is in and the Giants select CB Eli Apple from Ohio State. This is a bit of a surprise because Vernon Hargraves from Florida is ranked higher on most draft boards.

BTW there was a video posted on Laremy Tunsil's twitter account about 10 minutes before the start of the draft that showed Tunsil smoking pot through a gas mask. It was said that his account had been hacked and the video was removed after about 2 minutes. NFL Channel is reporting many teams have taken Tunsil off their 1st round board. It was definitely Tunsil smoking the pot so he's just cost himself big time over smoking frigging weed. How stupid are these players these days?

Tampa Bay is on the clock ---- again.

That is the end of me posting the picks. I figured the top 10 was good enough. My next post will be to report a trade or post Houston's pick at #22.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The Redskins were on the clock but there has been a trade. Houston who was to pick next has swapped spots with the Redskins. Houston picks at 21 and Washington will pick at 22. The Redskins will also get Houston's 2017 sixth round pick. It remains to be seen if it was worth losing a draft pick depending on who the Redskins take. It should be noted that TCU's Josh Doctson was available.

Houston has made their pick and the selection is WR Will Fuller from Notre Dame. This is a good pick. He is a very fast receiver who will stretch the field for the Texans and he will make a great compliment for DeAndre Hopkins.

A quick aside, Ohio State had 5 players drafted in the first 20 picks. They include Joey Bosa, Ezekiel Elliott, Eli Apple, Taylor Decker and Darron Lee. There have also been 4 offensive tackles taken including the aforementioned Laremy Tunsil who went to Miami.

The Redskins pick is in and they have selected WR Josh Doctson from TCU. I don't understand this move by Houston because if Washington wanted Doctson Houston would have taken Fuller anyway. Most draft boards had Doctson ranked higher than Fuller. This was a bad deal IMO because if Houston got either guy and saved a draft pick it would have been better. Dumb move by Rick Smith -- another in a long list.

Unless a trade happens Dallas and Houston are done tonight. The only other mystery will be who takes Paxton Lynch, Arizona or Denver. If both pass on Lynch I could see Dallas snap him up with the 3rd pick in the 2nd round. Stay tuned.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

With Seattle on the clock Denver trades with Seattle moving up to #26 and Seattle goes back to #31. Seattle also gets Denver's 3rd round pick (94 overall).

Denver is on the clock and it's expected that they take QB Paxton Lynch. I hope Denver takes Connor Cook and leaves Lynch alone.

The pick is in and Denver selects QB Paxton Lynch from Memphis. I am very disappointed but not surprised. This is the 4th deal made tonight in the 1st round.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

With the last 5 picks in the 1st round coming I guess I'll follow the 1st round to a close.

With pick 27 Green Bay has made their pick and they have selected DT Kenny Clark from UCLA.

It should be noted that Clark can take the place of BJ Raji who left via free agency.

Another note LB Myles Jack is still available.

Kansas City is on the clock with pick #28.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

With KC on the clock there is a trade. San Francisco has moved up to #28 and the Chiefs get picks that haven't been announced yet.

The 49ers pick is in and they select OG Joshua Garnett from Stanford.

The Arizona Cardinals are on the clock.

BTW that makes six trades in the first round tonight.