Thread: SLC To Potentially Have Permenant 12 Game Schedule

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

SLC To Potentially Have Permenant 12 Game Schedule

This would be really big news and I hope it passes. As some may not know, a 12 game regular season only happens every so often. They decide on 11 or 12 based off of the number of Saturday's between Labor Day and Thanksgiving. When there are 12 Saturdays you get 11 games. When there are 13 you get 12. With your first game being played before Labor Day it allows you a bye week in the middle. I'm assuming this would mean that there would be 2 games before Labor Day and not eliminating the bye. With the SLC moving to a 9 game conference schedule last year, it only allowed 2 non conference games, one of which will probably always be used as an FBS money game. This will give schools an opportunity to get 2 other opponents and potentially more revenue for either another home game or another FBS money game.

http://southland.org/news/2016/6/9/FB_0609163323.aspx
    Last edited by KABrother88; 06-09-2016 at 02:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: SLC To Potentially Have Permenant 12 Game Schedule

Is there anyone out there who would vote against more football? There will be the obligatory "money game" but finding opponents for the other non-conference games may be troublesome and lead to LU scheduling the dreaded DII or DIII opponent some people just hate to see on the schedule. I think the perception is that those programs are "beneath" LU and not worth of notice. Personally, I don't get too much heartburn over non conference games and I see playing a DII or DIII school like LU is their "money game" because LU is the big boy on the block relatively speaking. I don't want LU to schedule non-conference games exclusively against Power 5 schools because I see a value in winning prior to heading into conference and I won't be a snob about who we play to get a win. However, if you look at the history of West Orange-Stark during the Dan Hooks era often times the Mustangs didn't do so well in non-district games as they played a tougher schedule but once they got to district they were nearly unstoppable. College football is a little different than high school and I don't subscribe to the notion that what doesn't kill you will make you better. You have to build confidence in kids as they learn how to win together. Just me, I could be wrong. The bottom line is I am all in favor of a 12 game season.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

No more Texas College and Bacone, please

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

One concern with scheduling would be finding an extra game when other FCS schools are only playing 11. The SLC is 1 of 2 conferences that are proposing this change along with the Ohio Valley Conference. It would be nice to be able to have an agreement between the 2 conferences to be able to fill one of those games with an FCS opponent. However they only have 9 teams to our 11 so without expansion/attrition you would have 2 SLC teams per year that would be left out

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Those teams would still have Bacone or Texas College to choose from.