Facility Upgrades

Cplatt

I haven't been around the campus in a while, what are the campus and updated upgrades for the athletic facilities? I saw a new scoreboard for basketball but what else is planned moving forward. Teams will be switching conferences soon so just wondering what's planned for the Cardinals. Thanks

Cplatt

I was there in the early seventies. I've seen the old and over the last four years have had the opportunity to walk through the campus and see the evolution to the new and much improved. Most of the campus inner core buildings and the Quad looks the same, but Mcdonald Gym has been completely remodeled. The sorority dorm has been taken over, remodeled, and is part of the LIT campus. All the old dorms have been demolished and new, very nice, comtemporary style dorms have been built in their place. With respect to athletic facilities, A new field house on the South End of L U field, new video board, and new secondary fields for the other sports have been built. I think that Lamar's facilities are as good as you're going find in the SLC.

I was there in the early seventies. I've seen the old and over the last four years have had the opportunity to walk through the campus and see the evolution to the new and much improved. Most of the campus inner core buildings and the Quad looks the same, but Mcdonald Gym has been completely remodeled. The sorority dorm has been taken over, remodeled, and is part of the LIT campus. All the old dorms have been demolished and new, very nice, comtemporary style dorms have been built in their place. With respect to athletic facilities, A new field house on the South End of L U field, new video board, and new secondary fields for the other sports have been built. I think that Lamar's facilities are as good as you're going find in the SLC.

Here are a few more athletics facilities updates/upgrades.

1. New softball stadium with covered hitting facility...construction completed prior to the 2015-16 season.

320px-Grandstands_image_number_3.JPG320px-Covered_hitting_area_at_Lamar_Softball_Complex.JPG

2. New surface on the track and new runways...installed last summer

320px-Ty_Terrell_Track_Stadium.JPG

3. Basketball floor completely resurfaced prior to the 2015-16 season. New goals installed. (They were the goals used in the NCAA tournament at the Syracuse regional.) Lamar1VIDEO put out a nice Youtube video of the courts refurbishment last year. It's short at 1 minute 41 seconds, but gives a nice summary of the whole process.

As noted in Dracula's post, there have been a whole of improvements over the last ten years. A lot of the activity was from 2009 to present. In addition to the facilities mentioned above, those include:

1. Tennis courts completely renovated

2. New soccer stadium

3. New soccer/softball complex building (I estimate it at over 10,000 sq ft based on Google maps)

4. Indoor practice facility for baseball (9,600 sq ft)

5. New athletic complex (54,000 sq ft)

6. Football stadium completely renovated

There are a bunch of pictures in Wikimedia Commons. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Lamar_Cardinals

Picking up from the contributions others made before me, I've shot a bunch during my trips back to Beaumont and uploaded them. All mine (with Username of LUSportsFan) were uploaded in high resolution so click on the image and select "Original File" to get a little more detail. My contributions are released to the public domain so it's ok to download and reuse any of mine you might like. I think a lot of the others were uploaded with the same license...just check. CardinalAmbassador shot some very nice pictures of the Montagne Center, the football stadium, as well as a lot of buildings on campus. A lot of his are in Wikimedia Commons, also. To see the campus pictures, click on the "Lamar University" category in the lower left hand corner of the linked Wikimedia page.

I plan on shooting some more pictures this football season.

Edited by LUSportsFan