Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Dallas Cowboys 2016 Regular Season

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Dallas Cowboys 2016 Regular Season

I've been putting off writing this post because I know just exactly where I'm going. The starting quarterback of the Cowboys is not the best quarterback on the team. Pure and simple. In a full quarter of work Dak Prescott only managed to lead the Cowboys to 3 points. Tony Romo came in early in the 2nd quarter and marched the team down the field to a touchdown and he made it look easy. Romo went 3 for 4 for 29 yards and a TD. He had a 134 QBR and he was done for the day. I will say this one more time, this is not me bashing Dak. I like Dak and I'm glad he's on the Cowboys team and will be the QB of the future. This about having the best guy under center and that guy is Tony Romo. He proved it on the field yesterday and you really can say I am comparing apples to apples considering both faced the same Philly defense and both had the same personnel on the field when they were in the game. Same for Mark Sanchez and you saw how he struggled. That's what Dallas is looking at next year. If Dak goes down then Sanchez will be the backup and do you feel comfortable about that? I sure as hell don't. Not when Tony should be the Cowboys QB now and in 2017. He can retire after that because I'm confident he will have a ring that says Super Bowl champs on it by the end of the 2017 season. This is not about changing QBs now, that should have been done in Week 9 or 10 when Romo was cleared to play. Been there, said that so I won't say any more.

The defense was handicapped because of the loss of 4 defensive linemen and Sean Lee. Lee was told before the game he wasn't playing and I'm sure he was not a happy camper. The offense was compromised some because Zeke Elliott was not allowed to play. Both Lee and Elliott were told during pregame activities they would not play. Garrett had informed all three of his QBs they would play so going to Tony in the second quarter was not unexpected and sitting Tony in favor of Mr Butt-Fumble was not surprise either. I kind of thought that Jason Garrett took the edge off the team by sitting so many people and he sort of forfeited the game before it started and there was so much to be gained by players playing. First off, the Cowboys had the chance to win a franchise record 14 games. Garrett didn't want the record badly enough to play for it. Guys like Nate Newton, who is a 6 time Pro Bowler and 3 time NFL Champion all with Dallas, wanted that 14th win BAD. He was disappointed the way things worked out because, as he's said himself, "...once a Cowboy always a Cowboy and I WANT that 14th win."
    Zeke had a couple of milestones to reach too. First he needed just six yards from scrimmage to surpass 2,000 total yards. He would be only the third RB to accomplish that fete. The only other men to bust 2K as a rookie was the Colts Edgerrin James in 1999 and Eric Dickerson in 1983. Speaking of Dickerson, Elliott needed 178 yards rushing to eclipse his 33 year old record of 1808 yards rushing as a rookie. That ship to pass Dickerson sailed last week when Garrett benched Elliott in the second half of the Detroit game last week.

Pretty much everything about yesterday sucked including being shown how much Dallas has really missed Tony Romo and how much they are likely to miss him when the games start to mean more and more. Dak's inexperience will be exploited in the playoffs. It doesn't matter if Dallas has beaten Green Bay and Detroit. It doesn't matter that Dallas lost to New York twice, It doesn't matter that Dallas hasn't played Seattle in 2016. The intensity ramps up at each level of the playoffs and that is where Dak could suffer. I know it's terrible of me to say but when Dak got hit in his last series I sort of hoped he would get hurt. I know it's terrible to wish harm on somebody else but I just feel so bad over how much Romo has gotten screwed by Jason Garrett, a guy who was supposed to be Romo's friend. I know results say Garrett made the right decision handing over the reins to Prescott after 9 weeks but that is assuming Romo couldn't have done as well or better. That, as we saw yesterday, just wouldn't have been the case. I'm not sure I will ever forgive Jason Garrett for the way he did Romo. I think it's such a shame that I feel so torn over the Cowboys success. On the one hand I am happy Dallas has bounced back and they are where they are but on the other I feel like the Cowboys did it wrong by disrespecting a guy who has given so much to the franchise only to be screwed over and forced to eat the biggest shit sandwich I have ever seen a player have to eat when everyone clearly feels he is the best QB on the team. Cowboys are the #1 seed! Here's my response, "yeah."

On a happier note I want to recognize the play of Randy Gregory. He was a bigger factor in yesterday's game and if Dallas had managed to win he would have been one of the stars of the game. He had tackles for loss and he recorded his first NFL sack. I hope that the appeal of his latest drug faux pas goes well he avoids a year long suspension and that he has finally seen the light and he can leave his past behind him and turn over a new leaf in his life because, he really is a special player and I believe he will be a top notch NFL player.

Dallas now has two weeks to rest and recuperate in preparation for the Divisional round of the playoffs. Counting yesterday in which the Cowboys sat a bunch of players as a precaution against injury that gives the team 3 weeks to field the best version of themselves. I like that. I remember how much it meant in 1994 how Dallas beat the New York Giants in the last game of the season, the same game Emmitt Smith suffered a separated shoulder and gave one of the most heroic performances in NFL history, and how much that two weeks off meant to the Cowboys on their way to winning their second straight Super Bowl. It should be even more critical they have that two weeks offs considering the extent of the list of those injured.

I really am happy the Cowboys are winning.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Wow, take a couple of days off and look at how much changes!

Dallas signed former 1st round pick of the Arizona Cardinals in 2013 G Jonathan Cooper formerly out of the U of North Carolina. Cooper was the 7th overall pick of Cardinals and he was the 2nd best guard in the that draft behind Alabama's Chance Warmack but Cooper was selected 3 spots higher than Warmack. Here's a scouting report on Cooper from DallasCowboys.com writer Bryan Broaddus. To make room on the roster for Cooper the Cowboys released G/C Ryan Seymore who was promoted from the Cowboys practice squad the week prior the regular season finale against Philadelphia.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/20...ism-intriguing

The headline on DallasCowboys.com said, "Cowboys Sign Lotulelei to Reserve/Futures Contract", and I'm thinking how did Dallas get such a great player like Star Lotulelei? Why would Carolina let a playing like him go? It turns out it was Pro Bowl DL Star Lotulelei but his cousin, John. John has been in the NFL since he was an undrafted free agent signed by the Seahawks in 2013. Lotulelei made the final 53 man roster with Seattle and he played in 2 games before being released in October of 2013. He was claimed by the Jacksonville Jaguars and was with the team from October 2013 until he was among the final cuts by the Jags on September 3, 2016. He was not on an NFL roster during the past regular season. Being signed as a reserve/futures player means he is not eligible to play in the playoffs with Dallas but he will be on the 90 man off season roster. Lotulelei is a linebacker who is a bit undersized at 5'11" and 235 lbs but Dallas gets a free look at the players so this is one of those no harm-no foul situations.

Dallas signed WR Shaquelle Evans out of UCLA. Evans was a 4th round draft pick by the NY Jets in 2014. He has spent the past 3 seasons with the Jets, Jaguars and Patriots before being signed by Dallas. He's got good size at 6'1" and 205 lbs and he was a good receiver in college. The Cowboys practice squad was a man short after Dallas brought up G Ryan Seymore the week prior to the Eagles game.

Anyone wanting an update on Cowboys 2016 2nd round draft pick Jaylon Smith has come to the right place. Smith spoke to reporters for the first time in a long time yesterday and he gave the Cowboys and fans great news. Smith said his rehab is going well and he is fully recovered from the torn ACL and MCL he suffered in last January's Fiesta Bowl against Ohio State while he was with Notre Dame. The real hold up with his rehab was been the wait for when the damaged peroneal nerve, which affects the ankle and foot area, was damaged as well. When the nerve doesn't fire it causes a condition call "drop foot" which basically means he can't flex his foot without the aid of a brace. Smith indicated that he has feeling from the nerve in his foot but it isn't firing as it would if totally healthy and he still needs the brace to walk or run. He has been under the constant watchful eyes of the Cowboys training staff and he is maybe not-so-patiently waiting for the nerve in his foot to begin firing as it will when he's fully healthy. Even when he was drafted this past April the prognosis was that Smith would not be fully healed until around May of 2017. He's been at the Cowboys training facility every day this season rehabbing his knee and foot just waiting for the nerve to wake up and fire. He has done so well that Smith said he recently ran a 4.5 - 40 yard dash which is awesome for a guy who needs a brace on his foot just to walk. Smith told reporters that he could go play today if he needed to. That is no failing of Smith, who is so optimistic about everything, but he hasn't had a moment of football practice since he was injured just over a year ago. He may be feeling like he can play but, realistically, he not. It sure gives fans high hopes for next season though, doesn't it?

On the same day the Cowboys got such good news about Jaylon Smith he got kicked in the groin about another piece of news. The NFL league office made a decision about Randy Gregory's appeal of his 4th substance abuse violation didn't go well. In fact, it was denied which means that RG will miss one year, presumably from January 5, 2017 through January 4th 2018. Listening to a Cowboys podcast, The Cowboys Break, the panel on the show couldn't say for sure if Gregory failed a drug test or just failed to show up for a scheduled drug test. If he failed the drug test, to heck with him, no other place of business gives employees 4 chances to mess up and still be employed. If he missed a scheduled drug test it is possible he missed it because he was in rehab which, to me, should have been a reason that could be accepted as reasonable since he was actively trying to get himself help from the causes why he was in the NFL drug abuse program anyway. Too bad for Gregory who really showed a real spark during the one game he was available to play for the Cowboys.

5 Cowboys have been selected for the All Pro honors by votes from members of the Associated Press. The players selected are chronicled below in the link to the article from DallasCowboys.com. One of the guys who made it was snubbed by the Pro Bowl balloting which raised quite a lot of ire from the guys at the Star in Frisco and that guy is LB Sean Lee. It's good that the sportswriters from the AP recognized just how good Lee has been this season because they are not wrong. Here's a link to the article from DallasCowboys.com listing the 5 players from the Cowboys selected for All Pro honors. It's significant to note that between the Pro Bowl and All Pro honors being All Pro is the far more prestigious of the two. Good for Sean Lee.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/20...t-team-all-pro

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

This past week DallasCowboys.com began a series titled, "Finish This Fight". It is an eleven part series featuring members of the Cowboys roster who tell their own story of how they came to be a Dallas Cowboy and what the team means to them. The videos last around 3 minutes and they are pretty good. Today I am giving you guys the link to the "Finish This Fight" home page. The first 3 episodes feature, in order, Tyron Smith, Morris Claiborne and Dak Prescott but they are listed in the most recent backward so Dak's story is first while Smith's is last. The page also features a brief paragraph of what the accompanying video is about. I hope you enjoy the series because it really is entertaining and it shows that while these players have a dream job the road to get there wasn't exactly a cake-walk.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/FinishThisFight

One more Finish This Fight video is linked below as it hasn't been added to the FTF home page above. This one is about former linebacker and current Cowboys fullback Keith Smith. IMO this is the best one yet in the series.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/multimedia/videos

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The Cowboys are playing the Packers. We all know that but you might not respect the Packers as the threat they have become since Dallas beat them 30-16 three months ago. The Packers defense is better and the Packers offense is definitely better. You might have some hope since there is a chance Jordy Nelson wont play. You might have some hope since RB/WR Ty Montgomery had to be helped off the field with some sort of leg injury. Trouble was a possession later Montgomery was back in the lineup. There is no mention of him on the injury report from NFL.com.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-in-good-shape

The Cowboys have 5 days until they play the Packers and come 3:30 this Sunday I will be a nervous wreck. We will already know if the Texans could pull off the upset of the new millennium by beating the Patriots in Foxborough so that bit of stress will be out of the way. I honestly may have to watch that game by myself because I may not be fit to be around civilized people especially if things dont go well for Dallas. I am excited as heck for the Cowboys to be in the playoffs but Im not sure my heart can stand the strain.

The Cowboys website continues with the #FinishThisFight series profiling players who have had to fight to overcome adversity to be where they are right now. The latest additions to the series are about Lance Dunbar and Sean Lee. I think the Sean Lee piece is my favorite of the series so far. This link will take you to the FinishThis Fight page on DallasCowboys.com and it features all the completed videos with the latest addition at the top down to the first video at the bottom. If you havent seen this video series before, its really pretty good. None of the videos is over 3 minutes long but each has its own powerful message.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/FinishThisFight

DallasCowboys.coms Bryan Broaddus, in his Scouts Eye feature breaks down some plays from the Packers win over the Giants last Sunday in an attempt to give us fans a taste of what challenges await this Cowboys defense this coming Sunday. The article also includes video of the plays Broaddus is explaining which helps in the understanding of what hes saying.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/20...in-over-giants

Finally, DallasCowboys.coms Nick Eatman takes a look at the fact that the Packers are a better team since Dallas beat them way back in October and he give 5 reasons why the Cowboys are better too.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/20...owboys-are-too

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Who am I to tell you how emotionally invested you should be in the Cowboy season. Me, it's a freakin game. Win or lose, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. Having said that, The Cowboys are not going to lose Sunday. The reason I feel this way is the Cowboys can run the ball on GB. The run sets up the pass. The Dallas D has been playing beyond expectations all year and they will be at full strength and rested. Dallas wins.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The most important game of the season is today. Minutes away as a matter of fact. Words are unnecessary at this point so I'll get to it. I think this will end up being a shootout but Dallas' defense has surprised all season and they will be the difference if Dallas can prevail. I'm nervous as a snake-bit cat because I just don't know how this game is going to turn out. So I will just go homer on this prediction.

Dallas 34 Green Bay 31

The game has started and Dallas has the first possession and things are looking good early. Fingers crossed? Mine are. Here we go!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

So here we are in the offseason. As Cowboys fans we didnt expect to be here thinking about all these offseason things like the Senior Bowl or the NFL Scouting Combine or free agents, our own and those who might be available with the free agency period begins in March. There are only two teams who havent morphed into offseason mode yet and they are the Falcons and Patriots. They dont begin their offseason until the final gun of Super Bowl LI in Houston on Sunday February 5th. We all wish it could be Dallas as one of the final two teams but we can take some consolation that the Falcons probably would have beaten Dallas anyway had Dallas squeaked by Green Bay. Atlanta is just the best overall team in the NFC and even though we Cowboys fans are loathe to admit it, deep down we know its true. So suck it up brethren, its time to move on.

Last week I posted the list of 20 unrestricted free agents the Cowboys will need to decide if they want to resign them, let them go or let them test the free agent market and then negotiate a deal. Here is the list of those 20 URFAs and my opinion on what the Cowboys should do.

QB Kellen Moore Id sign him and we know the Cowboys coaches like him but they can still keep an eye out for a veteran free agent.

QB Mark Sanchez Id let him go. He looked terrible in the 2-1/2 quarters he played against Philly in the season finale and the boat just sailed on this guy.

RB Lance Dunbar Oft hurt and really made no lasting impact. You can get better in the draft.

RB Darren McFadden To have a 1,000 yard rusher backing up Zeke? For the right price I resign him.

WR Brice Butler Let him go. He is the fastest runner in the receiving corps but he drops way too many passes to trust him.

WR Terrance Williams I like Terrence. Hes made some nice catches but hes a no-show way too much of the time.

TE Gavin Escobar Let him go. Hes had 4 years to prove he could be something and all hes done is prove he needs to find another job.

G Jonathan Cooper Former first round pick of the Arizona Cardinals could be yet another 1st rounder on the O-line. At the right price I sign him for depth.

G Ronald Leary Both years Leary has started, in 2014 and 2016, the O-line has dominated especially in the run game. I would love to see Dallas resign himat the right price.

DT Richard Ash Let him go.

DT Jack Crawford I might sign him for the right price but Dallas can get better in the draft.

DE Ryan Davis A guy that just cant stay healthy. Let him go.

DT Terrell McClain He was probably the best interior lineman on the team this past season. I would resign him if its the right price.

LB Andrew Gachkar Good special teams guy but nothing special as a player. Let him go.

LB Justin Durant Very valuable and if he got the right price tag Id resign him.

LB Rolando McClain Thats funny. Rolando Who?

CB Brandon Carrs How can you let a guy who has never missed a game as a pro go especially when he played as well as he did. I would look to sign him.

S Barry Church The defense is just better when hes on the field and he has a great pairing with Byron Jones. Sign him.

CB Morris Claiborne Im sorry Mo, but you just cant stay healthy. Mo isnt really a bust as a sixth pick in the draft he has just been unlucky as hell health-wise.

S J.J. Wilcox This guy seem to have a light go on in offseason prior to the 2016 season and he played way above expectations. This is the one guy on the list who I would let test free agency and let the market set the price for him.