Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Houston Texans 2016 Regular Season

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Houston Texans 2016 Regular Season

The best thing other than a Texans victory was me getting the Texans score right in my prediction. When the game was still in the 1st quarter it looked like Houston was going to run off and hide from the Titans as they had built up a 14-3 lead which got extended to 17-3 early in the 2nd quarter. Tennessee made some adjustments in their defense, mainly they started bringing pressure on Brock Osweiler and it had the effect on him the Titans wanted. Osweiler's accuracy went down a few notches and his decision making in the passes he threw was also not up to snuff. The Titans whipped off 14 unanswered points to tie the game but Houston got the ball back late in the 2nd quarter and they got a field goal to end the half to take a 20-17 lead into the locker room. Houston got a TD from Will Fuller on a punt return for a TD in the 3rd quarter which made the score 27 to 17 at the time. The game turned into a defensive struggle in the second half with the only scoring that took place was Fuller's punt return and a field goal by the Titans. The Texans defense stepped up and just stuffed the Titans in the fourth quarter as the Texans demonstrated they could be dominant without JJ Watt. AJ Bouye made some terrific plays in coverage and the Texans front stuffed the running game in the second half. Will Fuller also made some nice plays on the day. He was the leading receiver for Houston nabbing 7 catches for 81 yards and a TD. For the day Osweiler threw for 254 yards and 2 TDs but he also threw two picks. Both picks were his fault because they were either bad throws or bad decisions. The pick that was a bad throw Osweiler could have gotten more help from the receiver, DeAndre Hopkins, as the defender out wrestled him for the ball. Still, it was on Osweiler and he has got to find a way to take better card of the ball. He's got 6 picks in 4 games with only 5 TDs and that is not a ratio you want from your QB. A win is a win as they say and Houston has a two game lead in the AFC South after Jacksonville knocked off Indianapolis in London earlier in the day. Houston is 3-1 with rest of the division sitting at 1-3. I'm not going to bitch about a win and I am not going to attach style points to a win. I'm happy Houston won period. We can enjoy this win today and tomorrow we fans and the Texans will need to start getting ready for the Minnesota Vikings. The 4-0 Vikings. In Minnesota. Next Sunday is coming fast but Houston has the right to enjoy this win.

To make this win even sweeter is the fact the Patriots, who shut out the Texans 11 days ago in New England got shut out themselves yesterday by a score of 16-0. It's a pretty rare thing for the Patriots to lose at home and it may have been years since Buffalo did it. But, somehow Buffalo did figure out a way to win and it was pretty much due to the same things that derailed the Texans last week. Turnovers killed the Pats and Jacoby Brissett, who started the game, didn't have the same magic he had against Houston. Besides turnovers the Bills just played good defense shutting down the Patriots run game and limiting their passes to just short yardage. AFC fans had better enjoy this loss because at 12:01 this morning you may have heard the Darth Vader theme music from Star Wars playing. Lord Brady is finished with his 4 game suspension and he will be looking to wreak havoc on the NFL empire beginning with Cleveland this Sunday. I sort of feel sorry for Cleveland as they have played 4 very winnable games so far, they just couldn't seem to get over the hump. This week I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for the Browns chances even with them at home. New England is going to roll into Cleveland in their Death Star and obliterate the resistance the way the Empire forced rolled over the rebels on the ice planet of Hoth.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

It is looking like LT Duane Brown may be back for the Texans when they travel up to Minnesota to play the Vikings this week. That's a good thing for the Texans but it is probably something that needs to be tempered with some caution. The Texans didn't exercise that type of caution when JJ Watt came back early from back surgery in late July and he reinjured his back in Week 3 against New England and he's lost for the season after having a 2nd back surgery in 2 months. Brian Cushing came back last week after missing two games because of a partially torn meniscus in his knee and he played 48 snaps in the game against Tennessee. That would be 73% of the defensive snaps in the game. I would expect Brown would be on a leash like that with maybe a little lighter load since Brown has been out since Week 17 of last season when he injured his quad. No OTA's, no mini camps and no training camp. I would think Brown should be limited to 25 snaps. I realize he's a veteran but everyone needs practice and unfortunately regular season games are going to be his "preseason".

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...2-dec2ce14b8c4

TE CJ Fedierowicz was awarded a game ball by Bill O'Brien for his play against Tennessee. CJ had 4 catches for 48 yards and a TD before he was injured late in the 1st half. Even though he appeared to be in a lot of pain at the time of his injury he did later come back an play more snaps in the game although he didn't have another catch.

AJ Bouye has carved out a niche for himself as a guy would can cover a TE in the NFL. Here's a story from Texans.com about his new found specialty.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...4-eaff08358887

Here is the multiple observations from Texans analyst John Harris from the Texans win on Sunday.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...9-87ad91e95b2e

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Houston is in Minnesota and I have to say, I'm not confident Houston is going to win the game tomorrow. The Vikings have a studly defense and they don't allow much in the passing game or the run game. Then I got to looking at the stats and Houston is ahead of the Vikings in total D and Passing D. The Texans are way behind in run defense as Minnesota is 8th in Rushing defense and Houston is 26th. The good thing in that stat is Minnesota doesn't run the ball all that well unless you think being 32nd out of 32 teams in rushing offense is all that great. So, maybe Houston gets the edge in defense. Then you think that the Vikings are pretty efficient on offense. Sam Bradford is getting better every game as he gets deeper into the Vikings playbook. The Texans are just a hair better in total D but both are in the bottom third of offenses in the NFL. Houston has one deficiency that is a big concern. Sam Bradford doesn't turn the ball over while Brock Osweiler has turned the ball over in every single game so far. In fact Osweiler is tied for 3rd in the NFL with most INTs in the NFL so far with 6. Only Ryan Fitzpatrick (10) and Jameis Winston (8) have thrown more picks than Osweiler, Blake Bortles and Blaine Gabbert. Bradford is also way better than Brock in completion %. What all this means is this is going to be a rough game and the fact it's on the road is even more challenging. Houston will be getting slot man Braxton Miller back from a hamstring injury this week so that is a good thing. I don't know if it's just that he's just not getting open or if he's open and Osweiler is just not seeing him but Jalen Strong has been pretty much a non-factor so far. This was supposed to be the breakout season for him after he dedicated himself in the offseason to working harder on his conditioning, mental approach and overall value to the Texans. So far, Will Fuller has lapped him to become the clear cut #2 receiver on the team. Statistically Fuller is the #1 receiver on the team but he's not the best Houston has. It's just that Fuller is the beneficiary of double coverage on DeAndre Hopkins. Houston, I my book has the edge in rushing because Lamar Miller is better than either Jerick McKinnon or Matt Asiata. What it comes down to is can Brock Osweiler play a clean game with no turnovers. If he can this game is a toss up. The Wise Guys in Vegas have the Vikings a 7 point favorite which is normally the amount of points a good home team gets credit for. This is telling me Vegas doesn't think much of the Texans chances tomorrow. It's hard for me to go against the Texans but Osweiler's propensity to throw picks scares me. What does all that mean............................................

Minnesota 24 Houston 23

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I picked the Vikings to win but I didn't know that Houston would get embarrassed again on the road. This week was a little less embarrassing than the shutout pitched by the Patriots two weeks ago because you didn't face a rookie 3rd string QB yesterday, Sam Bradford has found a home and an offense that he feels quite comfortable running. That said, the Texans didn't even get a first down until the 2nd half. By that time Houston was down 24 zip. The love affair with Brock Osweiler is getting a little sour. He threw another pick yesterday making 7 INTs in just 5 games and he failed to make plays that could have slowed the Vikings down and given his team a chance to win. He got beat up pretty good and as a result he got happy feet as he showed a lack of poise in the pocket and his passing accuracy was just lousy. You aren't going to win many games with a 45% completion percentage or a 56.1 passer rating. When Osweiler says the first place to look at when the offense is the QB he's absolutely right. It would be nice if the O-line would play better because that group not only got Osweiler beat up they weren't able to open up any holes for the run game. A lot of the blame for Osweiler's and Lamar Miller's lack of production is tied directly to bad line play. In their 3 wins the Texans line did a decent job and in their 2 losses they were just flat bad. The defense got spanked by the Vikings offense right off the bat and later they stiffened up and played pretty decent. You can't blame the lack of offense totally because most of the damage came early in the game and the defense couldn't claim to be tired. They just had to admit they got beat and beat up. It was very disappointing to see the Texans lose again on the road. You also have to take into consideration the Texans played, and lost, to two teams that are among the best teams in the NFL. Houston will get to rebound back at home next Sunday night against a division foe, their main division foe over the span of their existence, the Indianapolis Colts. Indy won yesterday with an offensive outburst at home that I'll bet nobody saw coming. On the other hand the Bears defense hasn't exactly been all that great. Houston beat them a few weeks ago so maybe it wasn't such a surprise after all. The Colts defense hasn't been very good so far this year so you might have expected more from Brian Hoyer and the Bears. The Tennessee Titans also won yesterday narrowing Houston's division lead to just one game over those same Colts and Titans. The Jacksonville Jaguars were on bye this week and it's a good thing considering how northern Florida was hammered by Hurricane Matthew. Indy isn't a very good team and Houston needs to take care of business next week and put this mess behind them.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Man, I've heard a lot of Brock bashing in the past week and I have to admit it has been warranted. Brock has been bad. He sounds great at the press conferences and he says he WILL get these things cleaned up and learn from his mistakes but so far you have to admit he's a slow learner. I said before the season began everything would depend on Brock. If he sucks the team will not do well and if he's good then the Texans will be good. I saw him make good throws against Kansas City. I saw him make some good throws at home in general. Some he didn't get the benefit from because they were dropped, yes I'm talking to you Will Fuller. It's been on the road that the evil Brock comes out. It's not really an evil Brock so much as it's an inept Brock. Poor decision making Brock. Weak armed Brock. Sad, pathetic Brock.
    The good thing is the Texans play at home this week. The also get to play an Indianapolis team that pretty much sucks. Yes, they won a game against the Lions last week but the Lions aren't all that good despite having their own highly thought of QB in Matthew Stafford. The Lions and the Colts are two sides of the same coin. The trouble is there seems to be a third side to that coin with a red, white and blue bull on it. It's okay. Houston has been beating the bad teams and KC, KC hasn't been great but you could count them as not lousy. They are currently in the mediocre category at 2-2 and they are coming off their bye week but not lousy, definitely.
    The last time Houston was in a prime time game was last season on the road in Cincinnati. Houston wasn't given a chance in hades of winning that game but they did and it turned their whole season around. This Sunday night Houston won't be that kind of underdog but they can begin to right the ship with a win over the bane of the Texans existence, the Indianapolis Colts. Now, that was primarily because they were in the same division with Peyton Manning and he just wore the Texans out. Manning isn't a factor but Andrew Luck seemed to take up where Manning left off so a solid win over the Colts would be a very good thing.

Here's the injury report and it features some names that will be missed this week and the questionables have some important names on that list too. Still, even with those players out Houston still has more overall talent than Indy.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...2-3d296739205e

Mark Van Der Meer gives us his take on the Colts from this article from Texans.com.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...b-c088f790a3a6

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

It's about the now. That's what the best say. As I have been watching Sportscenter this morning with the broadcast originating from Foxborough Mass as the folks in the Boston area get to welcome Tom Brady back to the first home game he's played since last January. It's his first home game after his 4 game suspension and the crowd there is already in a near frenzy. Now. Today. The past doesn't matter and the future is something that gives us hope but it's all about today. It should be the same in Houston tonight. Stay in the moment. Forget the last week. Today is all we can control so the Texans need to live that mantra. They are better than Indianapolis and they are at home, one of the loudest places anywhere on game day. Do your jobs, have a short memory when things don't go your way and have some fun. Most of all, WIN THE DAMN GAME.

Final score? Houston 26 Indianapolis 24

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

> Still wondering what the hell got into Brock Osweiler last night. For 3-1/2 quarters Brock was the goat of the game but all of a sudden he just transformed in the a super hero. Maybe it was about the same time the full moon rose in the east. Maybe he's got some werewolf in him. All I know is Brock stopped short hopping passes to open receivers, he stopped sailing his passes high out of reach of his receivers and he made good decisions. Considering how he's played the first 5 weeks of the season there had to be something that got into him. When the score was 23-9 with around 7 and a half minutes left in the game I thought it was over. So did a lot of fans in NRG Stadium as NT Vince Wilfork ripped the fans who left early but in all honesty, could you really blame them? I sure can't, not after what I've seen in recent games. Not after what I've seen of Osweiler against New England and Minnesota. He was just awful in those games. Thank you Indianapolis for a giant choke job and let's hope the way he played in the final 8 minutes of last night's game in regulation and overtime gives Brock some confidence going forward. After all, isn't that kind of what we expected after Brock helped the Broncos last season going 5-2 in 7 starts? It really is what we had expected and it's about time he showed something. Let's hope he keeps it going.

Can I toot my horn a bit because I really almost nailed the final score in my prediction. I said 26-24 and it ended up 26-23. I'm just saying.

TE CJ Fiedorowicz was a star last night. He came up big for Houston down the stretch and it was awesome to see especially since people have had their fun bashing the guy over the last couple of years. The TE position as a whole was pretty good with Fido and Ryan Griffin combining for 9 catches for 116 yards and a TD.

The biggest catch didn't go to either Fido or Griffin and not even DeAndre Hopkins who led the Texans in catches with 9. It was Lamar Miller's catch and amazing run for the touchdown that got the Texans within a TD of the Colts. It was 3rd and 7 at the Colts 10 when Brock hit Miller at the seven with a dump off pass as Miller was running left to right toward the sideline. When, suddenly, he reversed his field and ran back toward the middle of the field and he crossed in front of at least 7 Colts defenders but the O-line was hustling and they gave Miller some nice blocks as he cut the ball up field and into the end zone for the TD when it looked for all the world like Miller would be tackled for a 3 or 4 yard gain and put the Texans in a 4th down situation. That TD not only got the Texans within 7 of the Colts but it saved time on the clock because Houston didn't have to run a make or break 4th down play. Instead, the Texans got the score AND there was 2:47 left on the clock. Plenty of time if the defense could make a stop. The only bad thing was the Texans had to burn a time out on the drive when there was some confusion on a play call but it didn't end up hurting them in the end.

Now, I said that the biggest catch of the game wasn't made by a tight end but the 2nd biggest catch was. The Texans defense did, in fact stop the Colts on the ensuing possession after Miller's TD. In fact, in the four offensive plays the Colts ran it was +2 yard run for Frank Gore/time out, false start on Indy, sack of -7 yards on Andrew Luck/time out and -1 yard run by Frank Gore. This is where that extra time out would have come in handy but no use crying over spilled milk at this point. So, the Colts let the clock go down to the 2 minute warning and then they punted to Houston. Tyler Ervin took the punt in a gutsy move with a Colt defender in his face and returned it 6 yards to the their own 47 with just 1:50 remaining. Brock hit Lamar Miller with a short pass and a good run after the catch for a 16 yard gain. Houston snapped the ball with 1:22 left and Brock then hit Fido with for an 11 yard gain down to the Colts 26. The clock was still running and when Houston got the ball snapped there was just :54 left in the game. it was then Brock threw probably his best pass of the season hitting Fiedorowicz up the middle at the Colts 8 splitting two Colts defenders who went down on the play. Fido took the pass and took the ball the final 8 yards for the TD that ended up tying the game.

The momentum continued with the Texans stuffing the Colts at the end of regulation and in overtime when Indianapolis won the coin toss electing to take the ball to begin the OT period. Houston's defense stopped the Colts on 5 plays forcing a punt. Osweiler was still hot as the Texans began their first and only OT possession at their own 33 after Tyler Ervin made an even gutsier punt return that he fielded at his own 16 and returned to the 33 to set the team up in decent field position. Brock hit Fido for 9 up the 42 followed by a pass to Miller for 10 to the Indy 48. A run for no gain was next followed by yet another pretty pass from Osweiler to Jalen Strong who made an even prettier catch for 36 yards down the Colts 12. Brock took the next snap and scooched over to the right hash mark to set up Nick Novak's game winning field goal with 8:13 left in overtime.

Too bad the first 52 minutes or so the game was so boring and frustrating because the last 16-17 minutes was a hoot. Lamar Miller really came through for the Texans last night. He ended up with a total of 149 yards rushing on 24 carries with a TD and added another 29 yards and a TD on 3 catches. Got to give the defense some love too as they stepped up at the end of the game when it really counted to stop the Colts offense cold. It shouldn't have been this hard to beat the Colts but maybe this team has found that little something to build upon going forward. I love happy endings, don't you? Remember kids, it's wrong to put style points on a win. Let's all just be happy Houston is still leading the AFC South with a 4-2 record instead of being tied with Tennessee at 3-3.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Do you think there are enough story lines to keep this week interesting. This thing is just dripping with drama. How Houston stole Broncos incumbent starter, Brock Osweiler, away from the Broncos because John Elway sort of low balled him in contract negotiations when Osweiler became a free agent.

Or how about former Texans head coach and current Broncos head coach Gary Kubiak. What even more juicy about this situation is adding Broncos defensive coordinator in Denver and Kubiak's DC in Houston Wade Phillips who became the interim head coach when Kubiak was fired. How about that? Or how about the fact this week will be the first time Koobs is back on the sideline after being sidelined the past two weeks with "migraines". I put that in quotes because of symptoms of a stroke at halftime of a Colts-Texans game at NRG Stadium in 2013. It was later reported that Kubiak didn't suffer a stroke but they seemed to be saying it was as close to being a stroke without it actually being a stroke. Two weeks ago after the Broncos got pounded at home by Atlanta Koobs was complaining of severe headaches and taken to the hospital. The headaches kept him sidelined through last week's game against San Diego in which Special Teams Coordinator Joe DeCamillis acted as head coach for the first time in his career. The Broncos offense missed Kubiak who is also their play caller and the offense sputtered against the Chargers despite the return of Trevor Siemian from a shoulder ailment.

A bit of a sidebar, it's pretty obvious Kubiak has issues going on in his head. I'm no doctor but two similar incidents, the last one being far less severe than the one in Houston shows a pattern. I'm sure the latest trauma was less severe because he's on meds, maybe a blood thinner to help protect him but if he's got issues with blood clots that's no laughing matter.

There are plenty of storylines to go around and that's for sure. Some of them don't even involve Broncos-Texans connections. How about Houston probably getting CB Kareem Jackson back? Jackson has been out since a hamstring injury forced him to miss the last two weeks. Jackson's return is quite welcome as Houston is dealing with a bunch of injuries to their starting DBs like Jonathan Joseph, Kevin Johnson and Quentin Demps.

This is back to back weeks that Houston has played a prime time game. Of course last week's Sunday night game featured 3+ quarters of lousy football from the Texans followed by a furious 4th quarter comeback to tie the game and send it to overtime followed by a stop of the Colts in overtime and game winning field goal drive. Hopefully, Houston can rekindle the "good Texans" alter ego and keep the "bad Texans" buried deep enough that it doesn't rear it's ugly head at all against the Broncos. In games with tough defenses this year Houston has fared really badly. The Patriots shut them out and the Vikings kicked them around like they were nothing. Hopefully, Houston has learned a little something so they can avoid being dominated by the Mile High Bullies Club.

Here's the latest injury report and it's sort of encouraging to see only 4 "did not participates" and the list of "limiteds" is growing. That means the Texans are close to getting some players back on the field. It sure is disheartening to see such a long list. You think Bill O'Brien is just copying his mentor Bill Belichick by throwing all those names on the injury report? Bill wouldn't do that, would he? Would He? HUH?

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...4-9c5363e4548b

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

A good injury update is always welcome and I just so happen to have one or two.

1. It is confirmed, CB Kareem Jackson, will play Monday night.

2. Will Fuller will also return to the lineup Monday after having missed 2 games with a pulled hamstring.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I should have gone ahead and done it, I should have made a prediction but I honestly knew in my heart Denver would beat the Texans and I guess I just couldn't put it in black and white. Why? I don't know but there you have it. So, now Houston is 4-3 but they are still leading the AFC South by a game but aren't we all getting just a little tired of watching Brock Osweiler choke? I mean really, 41 pass attempts and only 131 yards passing? The final stat line for Brock was 22 of 41 for just those 131 yards with no TD's and no INT's. Brock also fumbled 3 times losing one of them. He lost one when the ball just slipped out of his hand when he was attempting a pass. Where was the accurate Brock we saw in preseason. THAT guy gave me hope that Houston would be okay. Better than okay, I thought Houston would be one of the better teams in the NFL but not so much. Denver has a good defense, one of the best in the NFL, but Brock couldn't complete even a simple dump off pass to a back without throwing the ball behind him making it damn near impossible to catch. I am so tired of Brock having a 3rd and 4 and throwing a 1 yard pass that is immediately stuffed by the defense. You have to hit a guy on the run or throw the frigging ball 5 yards. Simple math, get the ball past the chains. Now, it's not all Brock's fault, he had some passes dropped, Will Fuller, but by and large Brock stunk up the place. Is Brock intimidated or scared? Kind of looks like it. We've seen him pass the ball pretty well but on the road against a good team, he just plain stinks. Maybe it's Bill O'Brien's fault. Maybe he's not the quarterback guru we thought he was. I don't know but I know one thing the comeback against the Colts wasn't a springboard for the season. It didn't get Brock going and get this team on a roll. It was just another big thud on the road. The Texans defense tried like heck but after so many 3 and outs you just can't overcome and inept offense. Texans GM Rick Smith is looking like he saddled Houston with another expensive loser at QB and he isn't getting better, he's getting worse. He did okay with Matt Schaub who played pretty well for a few years but the steady decline of Schaub gave way to the 3 headed loser squad of last year of Ryan Mallet, Brian Hoyer and Case Keenum with a little TJ Yates thrown in and now Brock Osweiler is bumbling around for the Texans. I wonder if Houston is destined to go 8-8 this season. Brock can win at home but he stinks to high heaven on the road. Maybe I should lighten up on Osweiler. After all he hasn't faced chopped liver on the road. He has faced the Patriots, the Vikings and now the Broncos. Every single team is well above average on defense. Maybe it's just that Brock isn't good enough at this stage of his career to know how to beat the good teams. After all, he's only made 14 career starts. Seven last year and seven this year. If we're going to give Brock a pass based on inexperience then we need to blame the coaching staff and Bill O'Brien in particular for Brock looking like total crap. Instead of signing Brock to a 72 million dollar deal maybe the Texans should have saved their money and instead of drafting Will Fuller in the first round they should have taken, say, Paxton Lynch who was available. It's hard to tell just seven games into the season. Especially when Houston is leading the division and is a game over .500. I'm just saying. You have to wonder just when the Tom Savage fans out there are going to start calling for him because they are tired of these lame performances by Brock. I would be interested in seeing what the Houston media is going to say about this latest belly flop by the Texans. Will they light up Brock, as they should, or will they excuse another poor performance because the defense was tough? At some point, if you're going to be good, don't you have to show up against the good teams? Unlike 8 days ago when Brock found something to redeem himself at the end of the game and overtime there was no redemption last night. There was just a great big Texans sized turd laying on the field in Denver. I really thought the Texans would be better than this but as I said in the preseason, it's all up to how well Brock plays. To paraphrase the Verizon commercial from a few years ago, "Do you like me now?" Well, do ya?

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

It's been 5 days since the Texans laid yet another road egg in Denver. 3 road games, 3 losses; 4 road games, 4 wins. I'm sensing a pattern here. I'll tell you, this week's game will test that pattern in a real way. I heard someone say that Detroit was the NFL's version of the Zombie Apocalypse because they Lions just won't die. In all 7 games the Lions have played this season the final outcome wasn't reached until inside the final 2 minutes of the game. Detroit is 4-3 on the season.

Detroit kicks FG w/0:08 secs left to beat Indy 39-35 - W
    Tennessee scored TD w/1:52 to beat Detroit 16-15 - L
    Detroit scored 10 4Q points, the last a TD w/1:31 left but onside kick failed. GB won 34-27 - L
    Detroit scored TD w/2 point conversion to pull within 17-14 of the Bears. Onside kick failed. Chi won 17-14 - L
    Detroit kicked FG w/ 1:28 left to beat Philly 24-23 - W
    Detroit kicks FG w/1:29 left in the game to beat Rams 31-28 - W
    Detroit scores TD w/0:16 left in game to beat Wash 20-17 - W

The largest margin of victory or loss was 7 points and that happened once in the loss to Green Bay. They won once by 4 when they kicked the FG with 0:08 seconds left and they got an oh-by-the-way safety on the next play to push the margin to 4. 3 games were decided by 3 points 3 times and two games were decided by one point. To say it ain't over til the fat lady sings rings completely true with these Lions. Detroit is tied for 11th with Pittsburgh in average points per game with 24.3. By contrast Houston is 31st at 16.7 PPG.

That leads me to the point of all this, Brock Osweiler has to be a huge disappointment to the Texans so far. He is still young and he is still learning the Texans offense. In Denver he had 4 years to learn the offense and he was able to do it behind one of the greatest quarterbacks in NFL history, Peyton Manning. In Houston he's dealing with a brand new RB to Houston in Lamar Miller and two of his major weapons are rookies, Braxton Miller and Will Fuller. He does have DeAndre Hopkins, Ryan Griffin and CJ Fiedorowicz to lead on, and he has, but the bottom line Brock has pretty much stunk up to this point in the season. Brock is 20th in passing yards with 1,533 with a QBR of 71.9. That's certainly nothing to write home about. He has got to ramp his game up and Detroit's defense is ripe for the taking if he only will. Detroit is the 25th ranked defense in the league giving up an average of 24.3 PPG. By contrast Houston's defense is ranked 12th giving up 22.0 PPG. The numbers actually favor the Lions all things considered and the wise guys agree with the Lions -2.5 points. It's hard for a road team to be favored in the NFL so that speaks to how the wise guys feel about the lack of an effective offense the Texans have. The bottom line is Brock has to be better than he's been so far. The question is can he? So far he hasn't shown enough to give fans hope he can get better. So, what does that mean for tomorrow?

Texans 24 Detroit 20 with a heavy dose of Houston defense.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The NFL is a funny animal. One week you’re up and the next you wonder just what the heck happened. The Texans have been on a roller coaster like that all season, or at least when they started having road games. The first half of the Texans season is over and they have had 5 home games and 3 road games. I’ll give you just a moment to figure out what their record is half way into the season.
    Got it?
    I knew you’d get it right away.
    Houston is 5-3 but the down side is their schedule is 3 home and 5 road games in the second half. Houston will get their bye week this week so they can bask in a solid win over Detroit this past Sunday. It was a good win over a team that had won 3 straight so there is definitely something for the Texans to hang their bye week hat on. Brock Osweiler played pretty well other than a dumb throw that was picked off ending a Texans scoring threat. I think the play calling left a little bit to be desired too and that’s all on Bill O’Brien but, all in all, a win is a win. I see Osweiler’s stat line of 20/29 for 186 yards and a TD and a pick. Those are old school numbers for a QB. If he put up numbers like that in 1983 he would be up for player of the week honors. The number you like is the 69% completion percentage which is a marked improvement over last week’s 49%. What’s worrisome is the fact that Houston only managed two field goals in the second half after taking a 14-3 lead into halftime. In my pregame prediction I mentioned that a strong effort by the defense would be needed and danged if they didn’t get it. You take what had been a fairly high output offense and hold them to just 13 points and less than 300 yards of total offense and you have definitely got something.
    Houston will take the first week of November off and come back with a winnable road game against Jacksonville. It won’t be a picnic but it’s better than playing New England, Minnesota and Denver. Or is it………………………..?

In the mean time, here’s Texans.com’s John Harris with his weekly gazillion observations from this past Sunday’s game.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...3-ffaf03097988

One item of note, former Texans WR Andre Johnson, who is left Houston prior to last season for the Tennessee Titans has called it a career. Johnson was the face of the first 12 years of the Texans existence and he was pretty much the only quality player the Texans had for most of his career but he still has put up Hall of Fame caliber numbers. The link below is from Texans.com with player reactions to Dre’s retirement. There is also an interview segment along with the article.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...8-f4f03a38fd45

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The Texans are on bye this week as you well know. They are in much better shape than they have been the past couple of years with a 5-3 record. And yet, we are complaining. Complaining because the Texans are 5-3? Just so you didn't forget, Houston was 3-5 at the half way point last season. In 2014 they were 4-4 after 8 games. Remember 2013? Sure you do. That was the year Houston was 2-6 after 8 games on their way to a 2-14 record that cost both Gary Kubiak and Wade Phillips their jobs. You have to go all the way back to 2012 before you find a worthwhile record at the half way point. In '12 Houston was 7-1 and they went on to go 5-3 in the second half to finish 12-4 and the AFC South division champs. While this isn't the 2012 team it's done pretty well. At 5-3 Houston is on top of the AFC South a game up on the 4-4 Titans, 2 games up on Indianapolis who is 3-5 and 2-1/2 games up on 2-5 Jacksonville. For me, I'm pretty happy Houston is where they are and you should be happy too.
    Has it been perfect? No, it hasn't but we are still on top looking down on everyone else in the division. Regardless of what you or I or anyone else thinks of the AFC South that's the first goal of every single team, with their division because it is the only guaranteed way to go to the playoffs and it guarantees you a home playoff game. Those are two very big deals. I realize that there is still a very long way to go before we worry about division titles and playoff talk you get where I'm coming from. It's also important to realize that under Bill O'Brien the Texans have been a good 2nd half team. The Texans turned 4-4 into 9-7 in 2014 narrowly missing a Wild Card spot in the playoffs and last year Houston went 6-2 in the second half to finish with an identical 9-7 record but that was good enough to earn the Texans a division title. So, the Texans are in pretty good shape here at the half way mark. The 2nd half of the season is no picnic with games against the Chargers, who are better than their record indicates, Raiders, Bengals and Packers. The Texans have two against Jacksonville and they have to play both the Titans and Colts on the road. Not an easy task this second half with 5 road games to play of the final 8. Houston has struggled on the road this year but they kind of have an excuse. Houston had to play New England, Minnesota and Denver on the road. You could argue that Minnesota isn't all that but they were at the time and Houston was embarrassed by them.
    What needs to happen? Simple. Brock Osweiler needs to play better. He did okay at home but on the road against good teams he sucked. There is no two ways about it Brock laid a major stink bomb in 3 NFL cities and he wasn't exactly impressive at home unless you take into account the 2nd half of the 4th quarter and overtime of the Colts game. He was pretty impressive there. Fortunately, Brock played well and unfortunately Brock played well. The Texans got the win but we also got to see a Brock we hadn't seen previously. The Brock we hoped would be there from day one and wasn't. Brock has been driving the bus and at home he's kept the team between the ditches while it was a whole other story on the road. I want to believe in Brock but he makes it hard to trust him but I go back to what Texans owner Bob McNair said this past week. He said that, in effect, Brock is a still a rookie having only 15 NFL starts in his career. It's not technically correct since this is Brock's 5th NFL season but he is right, in terms of on-field experience Brock is a neophyte. He is also just 8 games into a brand new offensive scheme. That does make a difference so let's cross our fingers and watch and see what happens in the 2nd half of the season. Brock just might surprise everyone. That might give you something to think about today as Houston and 5 other teams get to sit at home and watch games just like the rest of us. Cold brews, wings, pizza, just a happy go lucky weekend with no pressure and they have earned the break. Houston has now played 12 games counting the 4 preseason games back in August, not to mention the 2 weeks prior when training camp actually began the first of August. Enjoy your break Texans, you've earned it.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The Texans will head into the second half of the season with a little road trip to Florida. Jacksonville to be specific. The Jags suck and with the talent they have they shouldn't suck. Really. They have 3 top notch WRs in Allen Hurns, Allen Robinson and Marqise Lee. They have a top notch TE, when he's healthy, in Julius Thomas and a decent TE in Marcedes Lewis. They have RB's that do the job in Chris Ivory and TJ Yeldon and that's just on offense. On defense they have two guys who was a first round top 10 pick in Jalen Ramsey and the other should have been a top 10 pick in Myles Jack who had issues with his knee. Even so, he went at the top of the 2nd round. They join guys like Sheldon Day and Dante Fowler....you get my point. This team just has too much talent to be a woeful 2-6 and a distant last place in the AFC South. Blake Bortles is having a weird year. Unlike the crop of rookie QBs exploding on the NFL Bortles, in his 3rd year seems to have taken several steps backward. If they don't turn things around in the second half the Jags head coach, Gus Bradley could be looking for work in the near future. That means Jacksonville will be looking to take advantage of the road woes the Texans have gone through so far. Three road games and three road losses. You could point out that those 3 games were against 1st place in the AFC East New England Patriots, 1st place, at the time, of the NFC North, Minnesota Vikings. And they also lost to 1st place, at the time, of the AFC West Denver Broncos. Since Houston limped out of town with embarrassing losses to all 3 only the Patriots continued their excellent play but it doesn't belie the fact good teams beat the crap out of Houston. Jacksonville, in eternal optimism, hope the talent on their team starts to play up to their expectations. If they do, Houston is in deep doo-doo.
    It wouldn't be terrible if Brock Osweiler started playing better but he's only been in this offense for what amounts to about 7 months counting OTA's, mini camps, training camp and of course the regular season's first 8 games. Maybe Brock deserves a little slack on the expectations. Not only is he trying to run a new offense, really very different than the offense he ran in Denver for the first 4 years of his career but he's trying to do it behind an O-line that isn't very good. No use to belabor the point but these guys are not good. Sort of like the group of underachievers Bortles is trying play behind. Good, we have common ground to work with. Whoever can function better behind a patchwork line will likely win the game. The Texans need to win Sunday because the schedule doesn't get any easier that this Sunday and the Texans need to stockpile all the wins they can.

Will Fuller will miss this week's game due to knee and hamstring issues. That means that Braxton Miller will get more work. Miller missed a bunch of time earlier this season. He just came back the week before the bye so he's had some time to re-acclimate himself with Brock and the rest of the offense. Houston will also be without Jalen Strong for a while after suffering an ankle injury in the Detroit game. Miller needs to step up big and so does the TE duo of Ryan Griffin and CJ Fiedorowicz who have emerged as a poor man's Gronk and Martellus Bennett. Lamar Miller and Alfred Blue are a nice one-two punch at RB and the defense has been playing pretty good despite losing All World DE JJ Watt. It is concerning that NT Vince Wilfork didn't practice today because of a groin issue. We'll see how that plays out during the week. Hopefully, the big man is just getting a veteran's day off.

Speaking of Alfred Blue, here is an article from Texans.com.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...0-f30ee6b5b54d

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The Texans are coming off a bye and Jacksonville is coming off a loss at the hands of the KC Chiefs. It was the Jags 3rd loss in a row. Houston beat Detroit two weeks ago so they went into the bye feeling pretty good about themselves. The begin their second half of the season on the road which is not really where Houston wants be given the fact they are 0h-fer when not in the friendly confines of NRG Stadium. It isn't so bad considering the Jags are 2-6 and equally inept at home and on the road. The O-line is still a concern for Houston and it is the engine that makes teams go. You think Dak and Zeke would be as good as they are without 3 first round picks and 4 pro bowlers plowing the way for Zeke and forming an almost impenetrable wall for Dak? Not hardly. So, we might try to cut Brock a little slack since he doesn't have that same security blanket in from of him that Dak does. It is a division game and that means just about anything can happen. I think the talent is pretty even on both teams it's just a situation where Houston has done a better job of getting the job done. The Texans on the road scares men even if it is just Jacksonville. The Texans won't have Will Fuller or Jalen Strong but they do have Braxton Miller and he was able to play in the Detroit game so he's not coming off the bench cold. Lamar Miller and Alfred Blue is making a nice RB duo and there is always DeAndre Hopkins as a go to big play man. The Texans are using their top two TE's, Ryan Griffin and CJ Fiedorowicz to good advantage. The Texans defense will be missing a couple of important players. Vince Wilfork is out with a groin injury while what I believe could be the Texans defensive MVP of the first half of the season, CB AJ Bouye, is out with a bum ankle. It's a crap shoot and we'll see how well Brock Osweiler can play on the road against a non-elite team like the Jaguars. If he plays well then Houston will win but if he plays like he has on the other road games Houston has played so far Jacksonville will get win number 3 on the season. Back and forth, yin and yang, push me pull you. What does it all mean?

Texans 23 Jacksonville 17