**Lamar vs University Of Houston Game Thread**

KABrother88

Cardinals Prep for Trip Down I-10

BEAUMONT, Texas – The Lamar University football team will look to erase a disappointing second half in its season opener as the Cardinals return to the field Saturday for their first road game of the season. But for the Cardinals to erase that bitter memory, they will have to do it against one of the nation's hottest teams – No. 6 Houston Cougars. Houston closed the 2015 season with one of the biggest bowl wins in program history knocking off Florida State. The Cougars kicked off the 2016 campaign with an impressive upset over No. 3 Oklahoma, 33-23, a game where the score was not indicative of Houston's dominance.

"I don't know if you can slow down Houston," said head coach Ray Woodard. "They are just that talented. You have to eliminate as many of the big plays as you can. That is the thing that makes Houston so scary is they're not a one-dimensional team. (Greg) Ward has improved tremendously passing the ball, he has great guys to throw it to and a big, strong offensive line. Not only can he run the ball, but he has some strong backs to hand the ball off to as well.

"I was able to watch their game Saturday because and I was very impressed with their team. They have great players, and the coaches on both sides of the ball do a fantastic job preparing those guys to play. I'm very impressed with them from top to bottom," added Woodard.

Full Article

Pressure mounts for quarterback Earp as Lamar prepares for Houston

If Carson Earp thought Coastal Carolina's defense gave him fits, Houston's could send him into a tizzy.

For the Cardinals to compete against the No. 6 Cougars on Saturday, Earp can't repeat the lapses that cost Lamar points in its season-opener.

Earp's inconsistent play - he finished 13-for-27 with 154 passing yards and two interceptions - was the culprit in Lamar's loss, which could become a recurring theme if Earp doesn't show improvement against the Cougars.

"It was definitely a disappointing performance," Earp said. "It's frustrating because you always want to have a positive impact on the game."

Full Article

Woodard impressed with Houston's rise to stardom

Before Ray Woodard and his Lamar team played Coastal Carolina last Saturday night, he watched his Week Two opponent, No. 15 Houston, face No. 3 Oklahoma.

Woodard was very complimentary of the Cougars, who defeated the Sooners 33-23, Monday in his weekly press conference.

"I got to watch the entire game Saturday," Woodard said. "I was very impressed with their players. They have great personnel on both sides."

"I think their coaches did a great job and had great schemes. I was very impressed with them from top to bottom."

Woodard added Houston "looks like a top-five team to me" after watching Saturday's game, which was played at NRG Stadium.

Full Article

Memories of playing Houston still strong for Ray Woodard

An inscribed football in Ray Woodard's office has renewed relevance this week.

It reads "Outstanding Defensive Player" in praise of Woodard's performance 33 years ago at the University of Texas.

He earned the football against the University of Houston, Lamar's opponent on Saturday.

"It was just assignment football and I was doing my job," said Woodard, in his seventh year at Lamar. "I was coming off a knee injury and the Houston game was the first time I really started to forget about it and just played a good game."

Woodard and the Longhorns, ranked No. 2 for the better part of the 1983 season, were big favorites against Houston, as the Cougars are against the Cardinals.

Full Article

chuckie is trying to bore em to death.

We have to have the worst coaching in all of football. This is absolutely ridiculous!!!! THIS OFFENSE IS A FREAKING DISGRACE!!! NEWS FLASH, UH HAS ONE OF THE BEST RUSHING DEFENSES IN THE COUNTRY!!!! F-ING THROW THE DAMN BALL!!!! AND LEARN HOW TO ATTACK A BLITZ!!!!!!!!

Time for Ray and his regime to move on. We have the talent but they've fostered a culture of complacency. I do not think it's a lack of effort on the players...it is a lack of leadership and effective coaching. They should be ashamed of themselves. I do not care how high UH is ranked. I'm beyond pissed.There are no excuses good enough anymore.

Well, Puddin, Peckem and Big Nasty (we already talked), I couldn't agree with y'all more. When we restarted the game game and ran Kade every every every play, well they kinda figured that out. When we had third and longer than 10, we did attempt weak passes. Puddin you spoke about ray earlier. That part of the female anatomy would also apply to our play caller. UH is a very good football team. I would like to see them against Bama. That would be a good game. Back to us, we played very weak. Our punter is doing bad this season. He was better last year. I don't like pointing out individual players because they are young men, but our QB play must improve. Kade is great, but he will remain unKade like if we can't open them defense up with our passing game. We looked pathetic today. We looked like a high school team playing a college team. Last week was still a worse defeat in my book, but we looked so pathetic today. By the way, Nichols lost by 2 against Georgia.

Well Coach, Rays mentality is not good enough for me. We have enough good talent to compete. I think it's time to move on with our staff.

Our offensive game plan was terrible. I don't know what happened to Earp, but he looked like a champ against Baylor. Today, he looked scared. I don't know if it was coaching or something else, but it's Rays responsibility to prepare his team. We were not prepared for this game. I am frustrated. We have a good team of talent.

Well Coach, Rays mentality is not good enough for me. We have enough good talent to compete. I think it's time to move on with our staff.

Our offensive game plan was terrible. I don't know what happened to Earp, but he looked like a champ against Baylor. Today, he looked scared. I don't know if it was coaching or something else, but it's Rays responsibility to prepare his team. We were not prepared for this game. I am frustrated. We have a good team of talent.

Four first downs?!!! FOUR!!!! Kade ran the ball THIRTEEN TIMES IN THE FIRST QUARTER??!!! IF UH has a weakness it's their pass defense! HOW STUPID CAN THE PLAY CALLING AND OFFENSIVE SCHEME IN GENERAL BE???!!! I don't think we attempted a throw further than 10 yards??!! I think we ran ONE screen pass!!! OMG!!! WE ARE NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO OLAY SMASH MOUTH FOOTBALL WITH UH!!!!!!! I think a 3rd grader would know that!!! And I agree, it appears that we have a lot of talent...NO EXCUSE FOR THAT SORRY OF A SHOWING!!!!!!

Our punt game stinks and it killed us (among other things) last week!! And Earp...wth?!! I thought he looked scared last week, he was worse this week! How can you have his physical attributes and still play scared??!!!! Smh!!

At least it seems the secondary played well. But, again, can't stop the run. I really don't know if I can watch another full season. It's soooo painful. I agree, the kids seem to be playing hard but their leaders (coaches) aren't doing them ANY favors!!