Lamar Football Coaching Search

KABrother88

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2pm press conference has been called for tomorrow... so WHO IS IT??

My guess is Shultz now. I heard it's not Bell, Hall, etc. Bell may be a finalist tho. If it's Shultz and he keeps Haverty a few young kids may walk. They were recruited for a different system and he doesn't or hasn't adapted to his assets. The D-line and linebacker play was atrocious. Players weren't used to better serve their strengths. He walked into, literally the best secondary Lamar has had in forever.

My guess is Shultz now. I heard it's not Bell, Hall, etc. Bell may be a finalist tho. If it's Shultz and he keeps Haverty a few young kids may walk. They were recruited for a different system and he doesn't or hasn't adapted to his assets. The D-line and linebacker play was atrocious. Players weren't used to better serve their strengths. He walked into, literally the best secondary Lamar has had in forever.

I'm hearing Shultz as well

we lost linebackers last year cuz of the damned 4-2-5

hell, first it was "Stump is a strong Candidate", then "Bradley Dale Peveto is a front runner", now its Schultz...people and their "sources say". if ya throw out enough names, somebody will get it right!

#neverstump

My source have never indicated that Stump or Peveto were front runners. They did acknowledge they were interviewed but when it got down to the final three it was Schultz, Bell & DeBesse. Right now they are saying all signs point to Schultz. For what it's worth I saw DeBesse at Floyd's earlier tonight. Whether that meant he interviewed today or he is here for tomorrow remains to be seen. I can only go off of what I am told. They have been very upfront and honest as far as I can tell as long as I have relied on them. I have no reason to make anything up and just throw shit on the wall to see what sticks.

In regards to the DC position and adaptability, Haverty runs a 4-2-5 and that's what he has learned to run from one of the best at it. It's built to defend the spread better than traditional 4-3s and 3-4s and more and more teams are moving to the spread. Haverty wasn't hired until right before signing day so there was realistically no time to recruit players to fit his scheme and even if you got players to commit that fit your scheme you would have to pull scholarships from existing commits which is a bad look. I would not be shocked to see several players leave as they aren't fits for the scheme he wants to run and I can't blame either side. Even if Haverty did a better job at adapting last season those players would probably still leave due to him being a 4-2-5 guy...you can't expect him to run a defense that is not what he learned all because existing players who were not his recruits. At some point you have to make a decision to move forward with your plan.

In regards to the DC position and adaptability, Haverty runs a 4-2-5 and that's what he has learned to run from one of the best at it. It's built to defend the spread better than traditional 4-3s and 3-4s and more and more teams are moving to the spread. Haverty wasn't hired until right before signing day so there was realistically no time to recruit players to fit his scheme and even if you got players to commit that fit your scheme you would have to pull scholarships from existing commits which is a bad look. I would not be shocked to see several players leave as they aren't fits for the scheme he wants to run and I can't blame either side. Even if Haverty did a better job at adapting last season those players would probably still leave due to him being a 4-2-5 guy...you can't expect him to run a defense that is not what he learned all because existing players who were not his recruits. At some point you have to make a decision to move forward with your plan.

Personally, I think running the 4-2-5 as your base defense is dumb as hell. Especially with a team (like ours) who can't stop the run to begin with.

Personally, I think running the 4-2-5 as your base defense is dumb as hell. Especially with a team (like ours) who can't stop the run to begin with.

I just looked. We were 110th out of 122 in FCS vs the run. Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

All jokes aside, I heard Schultz's name mentioned several times tonight as the guy they hired. No clue if these people actually know anything or if they are just guessing like many on this thread. I'm going to wait and see tomorrow, but am guessing it will be Schultz.

All jokes aside, I heard Schultz's name mentioned several times tonight as the guy they hired. No clue if these people actually know anything or if they are just guessing like many on this thread. I'm going to wait and see tomorrow, but am guessing it will be Schultz.

tooooooo muchhhhhh runningggggg.....

With the time that Schultz spent at TCU with Patterson, I would imagine he knows how to open up an offense. The questions become does he have the players with the skills he needs to play the style he wants to and if not how well can he transition? Just like changing the defensive scheme, you have to have the players, which Lamar obviously didn't have on defense last year.