Cards vs UNO 8 PM tonight

geezer

Cards are at home against the Privateers tonight. UNO is 2-0 in conference with home wins over ACU and AMCC. They are a senior lead team with their leading scorer Thomas (similar size to Weisbrod) averaging about 20 pts per game. Game time is approximate as the ladies tip off at 5:30.

UNO beat Lamar by 4 last season in Beaumont.

The Privateers' schedule parallels Lamar. They've struggled on the road with the exception of a big upset on the West Coast against Washington State, UNO is great at home just like LU.

Here's to hoping the Dirty Birds can knock down some FT's, rebound the basketball & defend the nest!

UNO takes advantage of Lamar's foul troubles and have pulled out to a seven point lead at the under four minute timeout. Lamar committed about five offensive fouls over the last eight minutes creating too many trips down the court without a scoring opportunity.

Weisbrod and Frenchwood both foul out early in the overtime and Lamar fails to execute in the last minute of the overtime and falls by four. Other conference action sees UCA winning over ACU, HBU over SELA, Sam over McNeese and IW over Northwestern St. UNO is at the top of the conference at 3-0 followed by Nicholls at 2-0 and then all of the one loss teams and AMCC and ACU without a win yet. Edited by geezer

I haven't seen basketball that horrible since the Tony Branch era. Ugly would be a huge understatement!!!

Seriously, that was truly pathetic. The only one that plays with any spark is Noel. And what the hell do you call our pathetic offense??? Stand around and do nothing??? GEEEEEEZ-USSSS!!!!!

Lack of a solid 6-9 or taller big man has hurt the Cardinals for years. Weisbrod isn't bad on offense but to me his defense is an issue and against bigger players inside if he isn't getting the fouls called in his favor he doesn't really help the team in that he rarely kicks the ball back out. Sometimes he will find Nzeakor on the back side but that is inconsistent. Bosha is the most consistent defender and he really did a good job on UNO's Thomas tonight effectively holding him to mostly free throws for the night. I believe the stagnant offense is on the Coaching staff.

Seriously, that was truly pathetic. The only one that plays with any spark is Noel. And what the hell do you call our pathetic offense??? Stand around and do nothing??? GEEEEEEZ-USSSS!!!!!

The offense is dribble up the court, dribble around for 5 to 10 seconds, pass to someone covered, they dribble out to above the key, then with 6 seconds on the shot clock we do one of 4 things: drive and hope to be fouled, pass it to Weisbrod underneath (who leans in for a layup), take a 3 point shot, or make a bad pass.

The offense is dribble up the court, dribble around for 5 to 10 seconds, pass to someone covered, they dribble out to above the key, then with 6 seconds on the shot clock we do one of 4 things: drive and hope to be fouled, pass it to Weisbrod underneath (who leans in for a layup), take a 3 point shot, or make a bad pass.

It's painful to watch. I can't recall one decent look we got in our half court offense. Our only hope is to force turnovers or get the ball out extremely fast on missed shots. And you are dead on, dribble around above the key and then hope Weisbrod can somehow score in the post. Do we have ANY clue how to set screens? Move the ball around quickly? Back cuts? Move without the ball??? Something? Anything?

I dont think the offense was horrible, but they did need more motion. They dont always play like that, yet they almost won. Noel was not the only player hustling. I watched the game one ESPN3, the commentators said the game was being called one sided by the referees in favor of UNO. I agree. The officiating was horrible.

Lamar and SELA are two programs with a similar record who look to be pretty evenly matched. We won our first conference game by 3 over Central Arkansas and we lost by 4 to UNO. If you read the thread about that game you'd seriously believe we lost by 30. "Pathetic", "painful to watch", and "the worst basketball since the Tony Branch era" were some of the comments after that 4 point loss. FOUR POINTS. As for the "Tony Branch" comment, are you stupid or did you not see any games when Coach Knight was here? Montagne Center this evening. You can make it, the Texans game should be close to over and you should know if they are going to win by the end of the 3rd quarter. I'll be there and I hope to see fans in the stands tonight.

I think Lamar has a lot of improvement to make on both sides of the ball. Offensively they get stagnant at times in the half court, overall the Cards still play selfishly at times on offense particularly at critical points in the game. They do average a decent number of assists, but my opinion is that it still isn't enough. Too much perimeter dribbling and not enough quick passes and ball movement. Too many times that the ball never goes inside or when it does go inside it doesn't come back out. Too many forced shots hoping for fouls. Defensively Lamar has done well in controlling or shutting down the opponents leading scorer, but they do that at the expense of letting someone else have a career night. Going at least as far back as the beginning of Roc's tenure Lamar has been small up front and has never learned how to attack a big post player. Attacking them from the front head on rarely works. When your smaller than the other team with a good post player you have to make mid range and perimeter shots to open up the lanes to attack across the lane on the big man. Lamar doesn't consistently make enough three pointers and doesn't shoot enough ten to fifteen foot shots. Maybe the Cards can't make those shots consistently either as evidenced by the less than stellar free throw percentage.