Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NFL 2017 Offseason

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: NFL 2017 Offseason

OTA's have begun. Actually, this is Week 2 of offseason workouts around the league. Here are some things I find interesting.

> Mike Tirico will be the new play-by-play announcer on NBC's Thursday Night Football games replacing Al Michaels. Michaels isn't out altogether at NBC as he will still be paired with Cris Collingsworth on Sunday Night Football, which is IMO the best prime time telecast going. The report is that Tirico will only be on a one year deal but he's definitely elbowing his way into the top of the NBC broadcasts since he moved away from ESPN last year.

> Brock Osweiler is "a pleasant surprise" in Browns OTA's.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...in-browns-camp

> The Jets' Christian Hackenberg has a cannon but has a lot to prove according to an NFL.com article.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ill-needs-work

That's about it. I hate to say it but there really isn't anything worth talking about. NFL.com just has filler content right now and Bleacher Report is about the same. The Osweiler article is a bit of a hoot. I remember this time last year I was fired up as Osweiler was saying and doing all the right things to get fired up about. Unfortunately, he didn't live up to the hype and that's why he's in Cleveland. Now, he does talk a good game and he's probably a cracker-jack QB against air but as we all saw last season he has poor field vision and he's inaccurate as hell as times. Cleveland could be in trouble if Osweiler is better than Cody Kessler or Kevin Hogan then I would be extremely worried about the prospects for this 2017 team. The Browns have spent the past two drafts in a real life "Draft Day" scenario. They have accumulated a lot of talent and stockpiled a ton of really good draft picks but this is two years in a row they have passed on drafting their future franchise QB. 3 years ago their shot at a franchise QB was Johnny Manziel who was a bust and a half for them. Before that it was Brandon Weeden and before that it was Brady Quinn, etc. Maybe this franchise is just afraid of pulling the trigger on a QB because they have been so bad at drafting. Can you believe it's been since the 1980s when Cleveland had their last really good QB? Can you name him? Okay, you give up, I'll tell you. Bernie Kosar. He led the Browns to two consecutive AFC Championship games but he just couldn't get past John Elway and the Broncos. I feel bad for Cleveland. The Jets too because they have been so bad for so freaking long. It would be great for the NFL if Cleveland could make a climb back to respectability. I have to admit, and I think I have admitted this before but Cleveland is my NFL guilty pleasure. I like watching them in hopes that they have finally found the formula to beat the damn Steelers and the Ravens. I really don't like either team. I can take Cincinnati or leave them. I don't care but they seem to embrace the criminal element more than most teams. But I just need for Cleveland to be the best team in the AFC North. Do you guys have a secret love of a team? Who could it be?

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The NFL is gearing up for the openings to training camps across the league. The Cowboys and Cardinals begin training camp today because they will be playing in a fifth preseason game, the Hall of Fame game, coming up in a couple of weeks.
    The link below comes from NFL.com as they give a training camp preview of all the teams. There are tabs in the article and you can browse the tabs that are separated by division. The first tab is the AFC North and there are a lot of questions to answer in this division but if you don’t give a crap about a given division you can cherry pick a division you do care about.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000818517/article/afc-north-training-camp-preview-key-issues-players-to-watch

It looks like Andrew Luck is starting out training camp next week on PUP as he continues to rehab from offseason shoulder surgery.
    The Arizona Cardinals, who begin training camp today, have already announced that QB Carson Palmer and WR Larry Fitzgerald will not play in the Hall of Fame game. Not exactly earth shattering news.
    Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com gives his list of 13 veteran players who could be surprise cuts during this training camp. It’s rather surprising that the #1 guy on his list is former Texans and Broncos QB Brock Osweiler. How far has this guy fallen from grace?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000821386/article/nfl-training-camp-thirteen-potential-surprise-cuts

I am still pissed that the Cleveland Browns for allowing Terrelle Pryor test the free agent waters for 2 reasons. 1) I have been hoping the Browns finally escape mediocrity and start winning games again. They haven’t been relative since the late 80’s when Bernie Kosar was the QB and letting a player like Pryor go don’t make sense especially when they had plenty of space under their salary cap. The other reason is because by allowing Pryor to become a free agent allowed a division rival, the Washington Redskins, got better by signing him.
    In fantasy circles who will you choose between Dalvin Cook and Latavius Murray to be a RB1 or 2 in fantasy leagues this fall? Murray signed a free agent deal to move from Oakland to Minnesota and Dalvin Cook, a highly touted college prospect, was drafted in the 2nd round and both guys will be trying to fill the very big shoes of Adrian Peterson who is now a New Orleans Saint.
    Still in Minnesota, the Vikings have all kinds of issues. The projected starting QB last summer was Terry Bridgewater but he was knocked out for the season with a devastating leg injury. Bridgewater is rehabbing from that injury and will begin training camp on PUP. NFL.com is also reporting that Sam Bradford is much better after a full offseason with the Vikings. Last year after Bridgewater got hurt he had a week to prepare for Week 1 which included learning the whole Vikings playbook. Another guy of concern in Minnesota is head coach Mike Zimmer. Last season Zimmer got something in his eye and he sort of blew it off but he ended up scratching the lens of his eye and he actually missed time late last season because of it. There was a feature on the NFL Channel yesterday talking about the fact that Zimmer is not and may remain legally blind in that eye.
    Finally, there is an article linked below from NFL.com that features LaDanian Tomlinson giving his take on 5 RB’s who could have a breakout season for their teams and also for fantasy football team owners. Within the article are page tabs for breakout cornerbacks and linebackers.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...t-to-break-out

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

There is some news of note in the NFL so letís not waste any time.
    Jay Cutler is now a Miami Dolphin due to the injury to Ryan Tannehill. The Dolphins head coach, Adam Gase, was Cutlerís OC at Chicago and itís a logical fit to bring in Cutler. Tannehill injured his left knee in practice last Thursday and its feared he will need season ending surgery. Cutler had his first practice today and Gase was pleased with what he saw. Cutler signed a one year, $10 MM contract yesterday. The Dolphins will play their first preseason game Thursday but Cutler isnít expected to play as he continues to round into football shape. Matt Moore will lead the first team offense on Thursday night. Considering how much Cutler was just paid the Dolphins donít expect Cutler to be the backup, heís there to start and as soon as heís back up to NFL speed that is what he will do. Cutler might have the best supporting cast since he was traded away from Denver in Miami and heís playing for the coach who coached him during the best season he had as a pro.
    Could we just stop with all the Colin Kaepernick crap? Kaepernick is an average QB AT BEST. He had two decent seasons under Jim Harbaugh but thatís it. Since Harbaugh left San Fran Kap has done nothing of note but protest the National Anthem. Kaepernick was the second leading rusher among QBís but 498 yards isnít all that great. The people who want Kap to be playing probably are fantasy football fanatics. Thereís a big difference between being valuable as a fantasy player and actually being good for a real-life football team. Heís ranked 29th in passing in the NFL and if you canít succeed as read-option QB in a Chip Kelly offense you suck, period. Nick Foles did better than Kaepernick in Kellyís offense in Philly. Listen, if Kaepernick was all that great he would be on an NFL roster right now. Jay Cutler is a better NFL QB and heís familiar with the Adam Gase offense. THAT is why the Dolphins signed Cutler and not Kaepernick. For all those dummies who think Kaepernick is being black balled because of his National Anthem protest think again. If he was all that great teams would be falling all over themselves to sign him protest be damned. The fact is -- heís not good enough for a team to deal with the circus surrounding Kaepernickís off-field issues and the ultimate fact is, heís not all that good period.
    Vince Wilfork officially retired this week meaning the nose tackle spot will likely be filled by former Clemson DT DJ Reader.
    Brock Osweiler has been named the starter in the Browns preseason opener against the New Orleans Saints on Thursday night. Osweiler failed in Houston and was dealt to Cleveland this past spring as NBA-like salary cap move by the Browns front office because they were so far under the minimum money they needed to have on the books under the NFL/NFLPA labor agreement. Nobody, based on his performance in Houston in 2016, believed Osweiler had a snowball's chance in hell of remaining with the Browns even this long. It doesn't mean Osweiler will be the Browns starter going forward, it just means he's starting Game 1 of the preseason. It could be the Browns are showcasing him so they can get a trade with somebody or maybe Osweiler didn't get good coaching from Bill O'Brien's staff last year? Who knows? I sort of care because the Browns are my NFL guilty pleasure.
    One thing I'm still pissed about is the Browns not signing WR Terrelle Pryor and allowing him to test the free agent market and eventually going to the damn Redskins. I want the Browns to get better so I'm disappointed about that and I am totally against one of Dallas' NFC East foes getting better. Pryor was about the only consistent playmaker for the Browns last season and the Browns had plenty of cap space to sign him long term. Last year was Pryor's first year playing WR and he did a damn nice job. Boo Cleveland front office, you guys blew it again.
    For a while there will be more football on TV than you can shake a stick at with games on Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday for starters. By the time you get tired of wannabeís trying to make an NFL roster College Football will start. Football is back, baby!
    HBOís Hard Knocks returns tonight featuring the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. It should be an interesting show because the Bucs have a decent team and they had a nice draft this spring. The only person not happy about it is Bucs head coach Dirk Koetter. Koetter doesnít like the spotlight so much and, while he admits he likes the Hard Knocks show, heís not a fan of BEING on the show. That, in itself, is funny. Canít wait to watch.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The Tampa Bay Bucs have cut their 2016 2nd round pick K Robert Aguayo on the heels of the Bucs loss to Cincinnati on Friday night. Aguayo missed an extra point and a 47 yard field goal in the game. Aguayo was a pretty high draft pick to give up on so quickly but a kicker is either good or he's bad and apparently the Bucs didn't see any future with him.

Earlier in the week the Bills traded away former 1st round pick Sammy Watkins to Rams in exchange for CB EJ Gaines with the deal also including a swap of draft picks in 2018. Watkins did not play in last night's game against Dallas. In a corresponding move Buffalo made a deal with Philadelphia sending starting CB Ronald Darby to Philly in exchange for WR Jordan Matthews. The Bills have apparently tired of Sammy Watkins always being on the DL and his lack of production when he does play so they decided to move on.

Earlier this week the Chicago Bears saw the debut of their 1st round draft pick Mitch Trubisky and he didn't disappoint. He showed poise, arm strength and accuracy. A pleasant surprise for Chicago and to the people who thought drafting Trubisky with the 2nd overall pick in the draft. Now, it's way too early to declare him the 2nd coming of Tom Brady but for his first NFL game experience he was impressive. He certainly looked better than veteran Mike Glennon who the Bears signed this offseason and who people expected to be the Bears starter in Week 1. Glennon has to be sweating just a little be after being out played by Trubisky.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The Colts have big problems. Right now, Andrew Luck is currently rehabbing his right shoulder following offseason surgery but the problem is, it is looking like he wonít be available to begin the season. He began training camp on PUP and he continues to be on PUP as of today. The problem is, if Luck begins the season on PUP he will have to miss the first six weeks of the season. The Colts could remove Luck from PUP prior to the beginning of the season and he would be eligible to play Week 1 with no difficulties from NFL league rules. The trouble is, if Luck is active but unable to play they will have to rely on either Scott Tolzien, 2nd year player Stephen Morris or rookie Phillip Walker. Yikes!!
    Michael Bennett of the Seahawks and Marshawn Lynch of the Raiders both sat down during the National Anthem prior to their games this past weekend. Bennett said he was doing it in protest to raise awareness to racism and intolerance. He was not singling out the police as Kaepernick did but rather he wants people to live together in peace. Nice sentiments Michael but doing something so inflammatory canít do anything but cause a division between people of like minds and people who feel disrespecting the flag and our National Anthem is spitting in the face of all the men and women who defend our nation and communities, especially those who have died in that service.
    Tampa Bay GM Jason Licht, in an interview with Monday Morning Quarterback, expressed deep regret at having to release 2nd year kicker Roberto Aguayo this past weekend after he missed an extra point and a 47-yard field goal. According to MMQB Licht is truly broken up about the turn of events just a little over a year after he traded up in the 2016 draft to select Aguayo. Aguayoís problems are equated to a golfer with the yips, a condition where the golfer has trouble mentally with putting that translates to a physical inability to execute the shot properly. Aguayo was not able to find any level of consistency in 2016 and his struggles continued through OTAís and training camp. All the discussion of this will certainly come to light in graphic detail as the Bucs are featured on HBOís Hard Knocks. Either this weekís or next weekís episode with likely feature this in typical HBO depth. The story isnít over for Aguayo either because he was signed by the Chicago Bears almost immediately. In a very ironic twist of fate Aguayo will be battling Connor Barth for the kicking job. Connor Barth was released by Tampa last year to make room for ---- wait for it ----- Roberto Aguayo.
    Hereís NFL.comís assessment of the winners, losers and standout rookies from the first full week of preseason football games.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...andout-rookies
    I am a fan of Oklahoma football and I have watched both Samaje Perine and Joe Mixon during their careers and I always thought that Mixon was the better player even though Perine got most of the publicity. It seems to be manifesting itself even more in the NFL as Mixon did a great job for Cincinnati this past weekend and Perine struggled with the Giants. If youíre thinking fantasy think Mixon, at least ahead of his former teammate, Perine.
    NFL.com needs to get its stories straight. In one article (linked above) the NY Jets Christian Hackenberg was considered one of this past weekís losers while in the following link a different author feels Hackenbergís outing was a signal of hope for Jets fans. Go figure.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...n-first-outing

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

My guilty pleasure in the NFL is the Cleveland Browns. Maybe itís because they are the ultimate underdog and we all know Americans love to root for the underdog. I have been hoping that all the really great things the Browns have done on the past couple of drafts will finally bear some righteous fruit. When the Kevin Costner move ďDraft DayĒ came out it was like a precursor to all the wheeling and dealing the Browns did on the real draft day less than a month after the movie's release in 2014.
    The past 4 drafts the Browns have cleaned up on draft picks because of all the wheeling and dealing the Browns GMís have done. In 2014 and 2015 the Cleveland GM was Ray Farmer. After a major overhaul of the Browns front office by owner Jimmy Haslam Sashi Brown, a non-football guy who made his bones as a lawyer was the de facto GM only his title was Vice President of Football Operations. Brown then hired Paul Dipodesta, who was the model for Jonah Hillís character in the film Money Ball, to be the guru for player acquisition. Another non-football guy who was going to bring sabermetrics to the NFL. Nobody in the Browns organization holds the title of General Manager but itís Brown who has been calling the shots. The common thread in the organization since Haslam bought the team has been instability at the top of the team. 3 GMs since 2012 and 4 head coaches in the same time frame. However, people really seem to have bought into the Sashi Brown-Hue Jackson regime despite the fact that their first year yielded the worst record in the NFL (1-15) and earned them the #1 pick in this yearís draft. In recent years, Cleveland has had a number of high picks but they have been trading them to move down in the first round while stockpiling a slew of draft picks. Last year Cleveland traded their 3rd pick in the draft to Philadelphia who selected Carson Wentz. There has been much speculation about the loss of that opportunity as the Browns are still looking for a franchise QB. Could it be this yearís second round pick, DeShone Kizer? Could it be Hue Jacksonís pet cat Cody Kessler? Or could it be Brock Osweiler who the Browns took in a trade with Houston for the sole reason of upping their team salary to get above the minimum salary spent by a team. It was an NBA type of trade that everyone praised the Cleveland front office for because of their ability to think outside the box. Trouble was, nobody told Osweiler he didnít have a shot in hell of being the Browns QB according to the football pundits. The deal of their 3rd pick in 2016 and the deals made in previous years netted the Browns 14 draft picks in last yearís draft led by WR Corey Coleman, DE Emmanuel Ogbah and Cody Kessler. To the Browns credit all but one of their picks from last year are still on the team. The only guy not with Cleveland is 7th round pick LB Scooby Wright III who was signed off the Browns practice squad in December of last year by Arizona. Not bad drafting. Still it only resulted in one win in 2016 for the year.
    The very first pick in this yearís draft belonged to Cleveland and this year the Browns did not trade back to get more draft picks. They opted to keep the pick and they drafted consensus #1 prospect Myles Garrett from TAMU. He was the first of 3 first round picks by the Browns who selected Michigan S Jabril Peppers and Miami TE David Njoku. The Browns picked DeShone Kizer in the 2nd round and heís been gaining ground on Kessler and Osweiler. In 2016 there were at least five games the Brown had won but let slip away. That is the problem with young teams, they have to learn how to win. Personally, I am sort of torn between rooting for Kessler or for Osweiler. Kessler did well in limited action last year and Osweiler got hammered so badly in Houston last season I canít help but feel like the guy could use another chance. Itís pretty consensus that Kizer will be good but heís not ready to start in the NFL. There will be another shot for Kessler and Kizer this week against Tampa Bay on Saturday night. Itís being reported that Osweiler wonít be playing. The question is whether Osweiler is being protected from injury because the Browns are still looking to trade him or did the interception he threw against the Giants cost him a shot at being the Browns starter in Week 1?
    One other note about the Browns, I donít know why Cleveland let the best playmaker the Browns had in 2016, Terrelle Pryor, go via free agency. They had the cap space and could have signed him easily but they didnít. The Browns would have had 2 big, fast targets for whoever wins the starting QB job in Pryor and Corey Coleman. Maybe the Browns were counting on getting Josh Gordon back off his suspension for marijuana use. Gordon missed the entire 2016 because of the suspension and if Cleveland was counting on getting Gordon back they have got to be pissed because NFL.com is reporting that Gordonís reinstatement isnít even on the league officeís radar.
    I will be paying attention to this weekís game because this 3rd game is usually tabbed the dress rehearsal game and whoever starts is likely going to be the Week 1 QB for this team. Unless, of course, he stinks up the place in which case Kizer or Osweiler may be back on the radar. As you can tell, I am assuming Cody Kessler will start Saturday night and if he does, I hope he does well.
    One last note. A fairly chicken-pickiní low hit on the Giants Odell Beckham Jr was enough to throw a scare into the Giants coaching staff. OBJ had to be helped off the field and you could feel a definite chill in the air as Giants coaches and fans were holding their collective breath. The current weather patterns were likely influenced by the high pressure system that resulted after the collected exhale by those same coaches and fans when x-rays on OBJís knee came back negative. I think itís needless to say that the Browns CB Briean Boddy-Calhoun will not be on OBJís Christmas card list since heís the one who scared everyone in Giant-nation half to death with that low hit.