Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 2017 Houston Astros Season

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: 2017 Houston Astros Season

Quick update and youíre not going to like it. Lance McCullers is scratched from his regular start tonight in Los Angeles because of arm fatigue-whatever the hell that means. Taking his place is Mike Fiers who is sure to give up at least two home runs tonight. You just broke a 4 game losing streak and now you send a guy to the mound who routinely gives up multiple homers in his starts. The way Houstonís offense is struggling I wouldnít be surprised if the Astros lost by double digits tonight.

http://m.astros.mlb.com/news/article...om-next-start/

You might know this already because itís really old news from last week but Collin McHugh will not make the start tomorrow night because in his last start he suffered a split fingernail that cut into his finger on his pitching hand. The Astros and McHugh donít think this will be a lingering problem but he will miss his next start tomorrow night. Itís certainly a better situation going into tomorrow with Brad Peacock getting the call. Given his performance this year you certainly have a lot more confidence in Peacock than you will in Mike Fiers.

http://m.astros.mlb.com/news/article...heduled-start/

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Man, I hate being right sometimes. I was wrong about the double digit loss last night but I was close as Houston was slapped around by the Angels to the tune of 9-1. I was absolutely right about Mike Fiers sucking. He started off sucking in the very first inning by giving up 4 doubles and a 2-run HR to former Astro Luis Valbuena to put his team in a 5 zip hole right out of the box. By the time Fiers got thru his 3.2 innings of work he had allowed 8 runs on 10 hits and a walk. Way step up there, Mike.

The offense let another half baked pitcher, Tyler Skaggs, and his 4.86 ERA come in make the Astros hitters look foolish. It was so bad that AJ Hinch pulled Jose Altuve out of the game in the 7th to spare him any more embarrassment. Altuve had one of the 5 hits the Astros managed last night watching this offense sputter like it has is starting to make me sick especially when Cleveland notched their 21st win in a row last night.

Jose Altuve's hit last night brings him to within 10 hits of reaching 200 hits for the 4th season in a row.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Ah, home sweet home. The Astros had 3 days at home in their last home stand and it came on the heels of Harvey when they were away from their families and homes and couldn't get back due to the widespread flooding. The Astros swept the Mets in those 3 games in a very emotional return to Houston. They road that wave of emotion into Seattle where Justin Verlander made his first start for Houston. Then came Oakland. Four games in 3 days that will live in infamy in Astros lore as Houston was ambushed by the A's and lost all four games including both ends of a double header on Saturday. Houston took 2 of 3 against the Angels to end the 10 game road trip on a happy but it was definitely tainted by that trip to Oakland.
    Fast forward one week and Houston has returned to Minute Maid Park and they have won their first game at home on Friday night over the Seattle Mariners 5-2. Since returning from the DL both George Springer and Carlos Correa have been in hitting slumps, as has pretty much of the Astros lineup. Right now Houston has won 89 games and they would have to go 11-4 in their last 15 games to reach 100 wins. At the end of a red hot July it seemed Houston would have no problems winning 100 games but a dismal August and very inconsistent September to date makes winning 100 or more games seem out of reach. The Astros only month with a losing record was August. Everyone sucked from the pitching staff to the equipment managers. I don't know when or how but it was about the end of July when both Springer and Correa went on the DL and it wasn't long after that the Astros started losing more than they won. It's a testament to just how hot the Astros had been the first 4 months of the season that the past 7 weeks haven't mired the Astros in the cellar of the AL West instead of maintaining a 13 or 14 game lead in the division.
    The guy who really needs to get going is Jose Altuve. He is almost a lock to win his 3rd AL batting title in 4 years but he can't keep losing points on his batting average. He had a season .364 BA in early August and it's dwindled down to a mere .347. That's still pretty good but since mid-August he has put together a string of oh-fer's. Up to August he probably had just 5 or 6 games when he didn't get a hit but now it's become pretty frequent and one hit games are more normal. I would love to see Altuve start to put together a string of multi-hit games to get his BA over .350 again and also have him get to, and surpass the 200 hit mark for the fourth season in a row. He now has 191 hits so he needs 9 more hits to reach 200 with 15 games to play. In a perfect world he would reach 210 or more but I'll just be happy with the 200. He still leads the entire MLB with his .347 and he trails Charlie Blackmon of the Rockies by 5 hits but he's far and away the champ of the American League in hits with Eric Hosmer of the Royals 12 back with 179.
    Houston can clinch the AL West title and a spot in the postseason with a win tonight over Seattle and a loss by the Angels who are playing Texas. Given how I feel about Texas I'll be happy with the Astros win. The Astros can clinch tomorrow by sweeping the Mariners.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The Astros did it, they clinched their first division title in 16 years and they won their first division title as an American League team. The Astros clinched the AL West yesterday afternoon as Justin Verlander pitched 7 innings of one hit baseball and the Houston offense hit 4 home runs in the game scoring 7 runs all told in a 7-1 win that not only clinched the division but completed the series sweep against division rival Seattle. It wasnít just an also ran that was mailing in these games. Not hardly. The Mariners came into the series last Friday in the hunt for a Wild Card spot in the American League. They are still in contention but being swept by Houston didnít help the Marinersí cause one bit. Charlie Morton, Dallas Keuchel and Justin Verlander closed the door on the Mariners and the magic number of 3 needed to clinch the division. The link below is from Astros.com and contains videos of the game winning play and the celebration after the game. This was a big deal for Houstonians and people of SE Texas who could use the emotional lift of having a champion in their city after all they have endured and will continue to endure because of Hurricane Harvey.
    http://m.astros.mlb.com/news/article...e-in-16-years/
    Jose Altuve didnít play yesterday because AJ Hinch gave him the day off so he wasnít on the field for the win and he didnít get any at-bats to get an opportunity to get closer to the 200 hit mark. He currently stands at 193 hits, still the tops in the AL, with 14 games to go. Given his plate success even in a September when heís been slumping he is still averaging over a hit a game so that means in 7 games minimum he will get to 200. I would be willing to wager Altuve might not play in the last game, or possibly the last two games, of the season just to allow him and maybe a few others to rest up for the post season. Houston canít rest too much because they are only 1-1/2 games back of Cleveland and you know Houston would love to have home field advantage throughout the AL side of the playoffs. Cleveland for their part has won 2 straight since Kansas City ended their win streak at 22 games. To put this in perspective, Cleveland is 24-1 in their last 25 games. That is SICK!
    The Astros have a day off, their last one of the regular season, today. They begin a 3 game home stand with the Chicago White Sox tomorrow night and Collin McHuch will make the start for Houston after missing a start last week because of an injured finger on his pitching hand. The Sox counter with a young pitcher, Lucas Giolito. Giolito, 23 years old, is making just his 5th start of the season. He is sporting a 2-2 record with a 2.56 ERA. He made his MLB debut last year while with Washington. He was 0-1 in 4 starts and 6 appearances with a 6.75 ERA for the Nats.
    The Indians are playing a series In Los Angeles against the Angels and the Halos could really help out the Astros by winning that series or, even better, sweeping the series with the Tribe. The Angels are still in the hunt for a Wild Card spot in the playoffs and they have every reason to play hard. The Indians, BTW, also clinched the AL Central this past weekend so maybe they will let their guard down a little bit. I sort of doubt it because Houston is breathing right down their necks as they compete for the top seed in the AL. GO ANGELS!