Game Thread: Lamar Cardinals v. Texas College

Guest CardAmbassador

Guest CardAmbassador

Lamar Cardinals v. Texas College Steers

September 3rd 2011 7:00 P.M. CST

Provost Umphrey Stadium - Beaumont, Texas

Game Notes:

Texas College Steers

2010 (1-9) (lost 0-45 against Langston, lost 14-23 Oklahoma Panhandle State)

2011 (0-1) (loss to

Play in NAIA Red River Athletic Conference

Texas College Steers Website

Enrollment: 600

Lamar Cardinals

2010 (5-6) (Won 14-0 over Langston, Won 44-6 over Oklahoma Panhandle State)

2011 (0-0)

Enrollment: 14,500

Roster

2011 Info Guide

Texas College Game Notes

Game Coverage:

KLVI AM 560 - Internet Live Stream

Internet Video - All Access Player

Tickets:

Lamar v. Texas College Ticket Site

Weather: http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/USTX0089?dayNum=1

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CardAmbassador

My prediction. Cards pitch a shut out. Score at least 50. This game might be more about fine tuning for the Cards because this team is not up to the task.

I can't even find their roster online.

Predictions, thoughts, comments?

Discuss!

Guest CardAmbassador

I still haven't found much. They only have around 1000 students so I doubt there are many scholarship students on the football team. And looking at their record against schools we played last year it doesn't look like they have been very competitive.

Still this will be an opportunity for the Cards to play as a team against another team. Hopefully we focus on not only winning but on getting our mechanics right in every part of our game. We have to play with precision and intelligence so that we are prepared for South Alabama the week after this game.

Just for fun.

final score:

Lamar 72

Texas College 0

also I remember some worries about having the game on Saturday because of Labor Day weekend. But wouldn't this be better than a Thursday game? More out of town residents can make it to the game, and people will still have an extra day for the weekend.

Thoughts opinions? I'm not hearing much out of you guys today.

Guest CardinalClaw
I think this game is going to be a blow out. It will be a great opportunity for the whole team to put everything they are learning in practice to work in a game against another team (even if the competition is not at our level).

Guest LU4LIFE
I'm expecting a blow out with Lamar at least getting 2 rushing TD's. I don't see Texas College being able to handle Campbell and Oden so we should have a pretty good running game.

I'm not going to predict a score because it's anybody's guess as long they have LU winning. I do predict that we will see at least three different QBs play. I think this game will be used to help the coaches erase any doubt they may have in finalizing the depth chart. We will in no way be able to use this game to project the rest of the season. It will, however, be a very entertaining game to watch.

Guest CardAmbassador
I'm not going to predict a score because it's anybody's guess as long they have LU winning. I do predict that we will see at least three different QBs play. I think this game will be used to help the coaches erase any doubt they may have in finalizing the depth chart. We will in no way be able to use this game to project the rest of the season. It will, however, be a very entertaining game to watch.

That would be interesting. I don't know if it would be the best competition to judge any QB against but you maybe right. I really don't want to have to switch QB's mid year. Hopefully we can get this thing straightened out before the first game.

I also predict there will be at 4 different WR with TD's.

Guest Mahler
I still haven't found much. They only have around 1000 students so I doubt there are many scholarship students on the football team. And looking at their record against schools we played last year it doesn't look like they have been very competitive.

Still this will be an opportunity for the Cards to play as a team against another team. Hopefully we focus on not only winning but on getting our mechanics right in every part of our game. We have to play with precision and intelligence so that we are prepared for South Alabama the week after this game.

Just for fun.

final score:

Lamar 72

Texas College 0

also I remember some worries about having the game on Saturday because of Labor Day weekend. But wouldn't this be better than a Thursday game? More out of town residents can make it to the game, and people will still have an extra day for the weekend.

Thoughts opinions? I'm not hearing much out of you guys today.

Guess we need to be prepared to play the fight song... A LOT!!!! ;)

Guest CardAmbassador

It is mandatory that all BRI readers/members watch this video and practice the fight song. :P B) We're going to be scoring alot of touchdowns this year and you will want to know the words.

http://vimeo.com/27730859

Fight! Lamar U. Cardinals,

For alma mater fight.

Glory in the triumph

For the red and the white.

Faithful to our colors

We will ever be,

Fighting ever fighting

For Lamar U. victory.

Guest Uncle Mo
I am new to these message boards this being my first post. After reading everything I see that everyone just says whatever they feel like so here's my take. I say that this game is going to be a blowout. However, there are still many questions that this team has to answer. I watched last weeks scrimmage and was impressed with the defense. Still a little weak in the secondary but overall the D looked good. Offensively I wasn't as impressed. I realize there is a battle going on for the QB position so the coaches had to get a look at all three but I mean come on. Each of the three QBs only got like one series. In that series I saw that Prewitt is still not going to win any games but at the same time he isn't going to lose us any games. In Bevil's series, it was like deja vu. Its like when he takes snaps its street ball. Those of us that followed this team last year watched all year as he would make big time throws but what everyone seems to forget is that he was good for at least 2 or 3 interceptions a game and every time he ran the ball he fumbled. He runs around in these scrimmages but NEVER does that in the game. He throws into double and triple coverages all the time. I realize the coaches are trying to win but we saw last year that he is not the answer in my opinion. That brings me to the "great unknown" Jeremy Johnson. I think its fairly obvious to everyone that knows anything about Lamar football that this kid will be the guy at some point. He did not impress during the scrimmage either but it seemed like he never even got in the game. When he did I was half asleep because it was so late. He is the most athletic obviously and he needs more chances to show it in my opioion. Since this topic is about the game I will say that until the coaches make some of these decisions instead of putting them off then I dont know how bad it will be. Last year they played Weber and Langston to close games and I would have said those would be blow outs. I hope that they can figure something out and get this team rolling because with the additions they got in the offseason the sky is the limit for this team.

I am new to these message boards this being my first post. After reading everything I see that everyone just says whatever they feel like so here's my take. I say that this game is going to be a blowout. However, there are still many questions that this team has to answer. I watched last weeks scrimmage and was impressed with the defense. Still a little weak in the secondary but overall the D looked good. Offensively I wasn't as impressed. I realize there is a battle going on for the QB position so the coaches had to get a look at all three but I mean come on. Each of the three QBs only got like one series. In that series I saw that Prewitt is still not going to win any games but at the same time he isn't going to lose us any games. In Bevil's series, it was like deja vu. Its like when he takes snaps its street ball. Those of us that followed this team last year watched all year as he would make big time throws but what everyone seems to forget is that he was good for at least 2 or 3 interceptions a game and every time he ran the ball he fumbled. He runs around in these scrimmages but NEVER does that in the game. He throws into double and triple coverages all the time. I realize the coaches are trying to win but we saw last year that he is not the answer in my opinion. That brings me to the "great unknown" Jeremy Johnson. I think its fairly obvious to everyone that knows anything about Lamar football that this kid will be the guy at some point. He did not impress during the scrimmage either but it seemed like he never even got in the game. When he did I was half asleep because it was so late. He is the most athletic obviously and he needs more chances to show it in my opioion. Since this topic is about the game I will say that until the coaches make some of these decisions instead of putting them off then I dont know how bad it will be. Last year they played Weber and Langston to close games and I would have said those would be blow outs. I hope that they can figure something out and get this team rolling because with the additions they got in the offseason the sky is the limit for this team.

This is what fanboards are all about Uncle Mo, to find out info about the school and to have a place to voice your opinion.

Thanks for joining and I hope to see you continue to post.

Guest CardAmbassador

Thanks for joining Mo. I agree about the QB competition but I'm also not a coach so I don't want to sound like I'm giving out advice when I am in no position to do so.

But from all that I heard about the last scrimmage I think that having 3 QB's competing for the starting job this close to the first game is a little risky. Bevil looked more sharp in the spring and the one practice I saw but he still has TO issues and we can't afford them.

I think it comes down to JJ and Prewitt so lets see who can lead us out of those two. IMO no other QB's should be taking the snap.

Back on topic, I still think we're going to blow this team out, Langston a team we shut out dropped a 45-0 game on Texas College.

IMO it's going to be ugly regardless of who we have at QB against them.

Well, I believe that LU will actually hold the score down as much is reasonable. There is no advantage for us to blow them out. The coaches will want something to get on the players butts & get the attention for the next week. Also, I would run some trick plays early to give South Alabama something else to work on for the next week. I heard one college coach (maybe Stupes at OU) say that for every trick play you run, it cost the opposing teams 30 mins. of practice time per day for that week.

Well, I believe that LU will actually hold the score down as much is reasonable. There is no advantage for us to blow them out. The coaches will want something to get on the players butts & get the attention for the next week. Also, I would run some trick plays early to give South Alabama something else to work on for the next week. I heard one college coach (maybe Stupes at OU) say that for every trick play you run, it cost the opposing teams 30 mins. of practice time per day for that week.

I've heard the same from some other coaches. Some of the better coaches will design trick plays just for the purpose of showing them to scouts. Then when game time comes, they show a completely different look or run a totally different play out of the same set.

Guest bigred360

I agree with the last two post as I've heard the same. Use trick playes that can have multiple options and formations. Just something else the defense has to prepare for during practice and defensive meetings.

Personally, I still think it will be a blow out for the Cards!

Guest CardAmbassador

Looking at this team its going to be hard not to blow them out because with the resources I can see they have (or don't have) it's not a fair competition.

We should use the game to fine tune our team and maybe get some of the third string guys a good amount of reps. (After a dominate first half of course)