Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

way to early lamar vs unt thread

lamar have any chance in this game?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: way to early lamar vs unt thread

As always with FCS vs FBS, your gut has to tell you that the odds are slim. I usually just try to judge our performance in just the first half vs the final score. With the scholarship limit difference between the 2 levels, depth becomes key and most times the 2nd half isn't a good gauge at the performance.

North Texas has been a pretty bad program for the for the last decade. Their 5 wins last year were tied for the 2nd most dating back to the 2005 season. Last year was their first season under HC Seth Littrell and he improved them from 1-11 to 5-8. I've seen were some are having high expectations this year to build upon that.

What Lamar will have working in their favor is the unknown. With no film on how the new staff will approach the game in terms of play calling, North Texas will have to adjust on the fly.

Just a side note, North Texas has 3 people on staff with ties to Lamar. I've meantion that former OC Chuck Langston is the OL coach there now but he's not the only former Lamar OC there. UNT's Associate Head Coach Tommy Mainord was the first OC hired when football was brought back to Lamar. He left for Texas Tech before he ever coached a game however. Mainrod is the Inside WR coach for UNT and also hold the title of Pass Game Coordinator. Also part of the UNT staff is graduate assistant and former Lamar RB Hershel Sims. For those of us that have been around for a while you might want to stop reading now to keep from bringing up bad memories. For those newer people, Sims was a highly touted RB out of HS (#2 nationally by Scout.com) who transferred to Lamar after he was kicked off the team at Oklahoma State for stealing from a teammate. He quit the team halfway through the season after he reportedly wasn't happy with his playing time.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

My gut says Lamar has a slim chance of winning. While K.A. is correct that LU has the element of surprise with the new staff, there is no proven quarterback on Lamar's squad. Injuries last year gave most of the qb candidates some playing time but none of them really showed they were ready for prime time. After the Cards lost Harrington there was no run game although I would put a good portion of that problem on the o-line. The recruits at running back look like if the line can block the running game could be there. No offensive turnovers and defense though is what it will take to get a win.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

7 weeks till game time.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Hope Lamar brings a good crowd up to Denton and enjoy the atmosphere of college football. Regardless of what level, there's nothing better!

I'm a graduate of North Texas but lived in Port Arthur/Port Neches most of my life Now reside in the Hill Country. So glad when Lamar brought back football and hope Lamar does well. Just not against UNT. Looking forward to the game in Denton.