Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **UT-Permian Basin vs Lamar Game Thread**

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

**UT-Permian Basin vs Lamar Game Thread**

Kickoff set for 7:00 PM Saturday against the UT Permian Basin Falcons at Provost Umphery Stadium

Lamar Game Notes | UT-Permian Basin Game Notes | Live Stats | Video | Audio | Tickets

UT-PB Game Notes and the Video links will be updated later this week
    Last edited by KABrother88; 09-07-2017 at 04:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: **UT-Permian Basin vs Lamar Game Thread**

Lamar has announced that families with children will be given free general admission tickets to Saturday's game as they look help the community move past the effects of Harvey.

http://lamarcardinals.com/news/2017/...days-game.aspx

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Also if you are a season ticket holder and have not received your tickets by Friday, call the ticket office at (409)-880-1715. I received mine earlier this week but some have been stuck in transit.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Season tickets and tailgate passes have arrived.got 3 briskets ready to go for Saturday.

Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Assisting family and friends with flooded homes. I hate I'm not going to be tailgating but with so many needing help, I don't see how I can. I will make the game!
    Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.

Bill Shankly

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Slow start for Lamar, but after the poor play on the kick-off return following the opening Lamar field goal and the remainder of that drive for PB Lamar played a solid game.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I had to leave at halftime to attend another function I was wrangled into. When I looked at the halftime stats I was kinda surprised with the numbers. I guess the first few drives for either side made me think they weren't going to be as one sided as they were. I was really impressed with Kirkland Banks as a freshman...she showed good vision and speed on several plays and looks to have a very bright future. I enjoyed seeing the offensive tempo.

I love the fact that we have the ESPN3 agreement because it allows me to go back and rewatch what I was there for and was see what I missed by leaving early but damn...those commercial breaks kill the speed of the game at the stadium.
    Likes spoonbill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Penalties were a killer last night though...Cards were flagged 10 times for 131 yards...several penalties wiped out big gains and that can't happen when SLC play starts next week if you want any chance to win.
    Likes spoonbill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I know that Lamar was playing a weaker team but, damn, I did see some offense, especially a passing attack. Darrell Colbert is the guy and Kendrick King was running hard. We'll see next week vs Northwestern State.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I was very impressed with Banks as well. I liked the up tempo. I liked the fact that we seem to know how to use the tight end in the passing game. I'm not sure about White. He had a couple of pretty good runs but he seems too stiff/mechanical. I can understand how King beat him out. Colbert has good mobility. I don't know that this game really answered if he's good or not. Arm strength seems questionable, virtually no downfield passing (but we didn't need to do that in this game), still not sure how accurate he is.

I liked the aggressiveness of the defense/defensive play calling. I think we have some pretty good cover guys, but I don't think we will have a definite answer to how well they can cover until conference. I'm very doubtful that we will be able to stop the run unless we do a lot of run blitzing.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I watched a little of the first half on ESPN3 and wasn't impressed, but I know with the storm disrupting the lives of everyone, plus a whole new coaching staff there's going to be some growing pains. I think winning 3 or 4 conference games would be a positive considering that outside of SHSU, Central Arkansas, and Nicholls State, the conference appears to be weak.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” ~George Carlin

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KABrother88 View Post
    I had to leave at halftime to attend another function I was wrangled into. When I looked at the halftime stats I was kinda surprised with the numbers. I guess the first few drives for either side made me think they weren't going to be as one sided as they were. I was really impressed with Kirkland Banks as a freshman...she showed good vision and speed on several plays and looks to have a very bright future. I enjoyed seeing the offensive tempo.

I love the fact that we have the ESPN3 agreement because it allows me to go back and rewatch what I was there for and was see what I missed by leaving early but damn...those commercial breaks kill the speed of the game at the stadium.
    Can't recall much about when we signed Banks but his Hudl highlights are pretty impressive and I found this article about him:

http://lafootballmagazine.com/news/c...e-high-school/

Also, I was curious about Starnes since he had that long run. He's got a pretty impressive Hudl video too from his JUCO season. Check it out (just google Cole Starnes Hudl).

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by coachacola View Post
    I watched a little of the first half on ESPN3 and wasn't impressed, but I know with the storm disrupting the lives of everyone, plus a whole new coaching staff there's going to be some growing pains. I think winning 3 or 4 conference games would be a positive considering that outside of SHSU, Central Arkansas, and Nicholls State, the conference appears to be weak.
    It's going to be interesting to see how the Cards do in conference. They looked horrible against better competition and great against inferior competition. I'm sure they're somewhere in between, but I can't tell by these two games on which end of the spectrum. Colbert looked fast and shifty this week...slow and overmatched last week. King and Banks look pretty good. White looked slow even against UTPB. He looked much better during the fall but it was the fall. He shuffles too much looking for a hole instead of going up field imo. Nice crowd Saturday night. It looks like they're set at punter/kicker for the future barring injury. They both have looked pretty solid. They should get in a full week of practice at their place this week. Ready for a conference win in the big city of Natchitoches this Saturday! #PeckEm

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PeckEm View Post
    Can't recall much about when we signed Banks but his Hudl highlights are pretty impressive and I found this article about him:

http://lafootballmagazine.com/news/c...e-high-school/

Also, I was curious about Starnes since he had that long run. He's got a pretty impressive Hudl video too from his JUCO season. Check it out (just google Cole Starnes Hudl).

Banks is a fantastic athlete and I mean athlete...not only can he play WR, he can line up in the backfield and I wouldn't be surprised to see him see some time fielding punts and kicks later on in his cardinal career either. On top of that he'll be playing baseball for Lamar in the spring. He'll be joined by QB Jack Dallas a dual sport guys from last year's class.

Starnes was a late addition to the team out of Antelope Valley JC. He lead them last year in rushing with 617 yard on 107 carries (5.8 y/c). In 2 less games than their other top rushers. Their 2nd and 3rd leading rushers also eclipsed 100 carries and scored 17 of the teams 23 rushing TDs. Starnes only scored once but like you said his film shows him to be an intriguing option. Tough runner who's not scared to block and as we saw Saturday has enough speed to make a team pay if he's given a lane.