**Lamar vs Southeastern Louisiana Game Thread**

KABrother88

so, after all the whining about "we don't have any returning players, yada, yada, yada"

out of last years leaders in tackles, we return 6 out of the top 10, (numbers 2,3,4,5,6,7),

Hampton, Kanteman, Jernigan, Brooks, Crosley, Bowden

along with Staton #13, Miles #14, Rushing #15, Adams #17, Randle #20.

aint a bunch of newbs running around out there

May not be newbs, but the defensive stat of tackles is pretty worthless. Unless there is a score or a turnover somebody gets a tackle on all other plays. Most everyone you list are LB and DBs. I want to see tackles by d-line and tackles for loss. The game is still won in the trenches and Lamar's line play isn't good enough.

May not be newbs, but the defensive stat of tackles is pretty worthless. Unless there is a score or a turnover somebody gets a tackle on all other plays. Most everyone you list are LB and DBs. I want to see tackles by d-line and tackles for loss. The game is still won in the trenches and Lamar's line play isn't good enough.

d-line? Miles, Crosley, Adams, Garner

Edited by puddin tane

tackles 30 yards down field are pretty worthless

and...tackles for a loss, LU has 23

Sam Houston- 19, UCA-25

For the sake of discussion and because I like when you get roiled up, factor in this. SHSU and UCA have only played 3 games to our 4. SHSU has played 3 FCS teams with 2 being in the top 25 at the time of the game. They also played the first 2 games without the services of All-American PJ Hall. UCA has played 1 ranked FBS and 2 FCS teams. So if we take out the 9 TFL we had against UT-PB we are sitting at 14 comparing apples to apples.

I suppose I should have been a little more specific in I want to see tackles for loss by the NG or DT. The thirty yard down the field are the ones that I think of when I say number of tackles is somewhat meaningless. If the DB's are high on the tackle list then the down the field tackles are probably a high number. I believe ideally if your stopping the run the D-line and Linebackers should have the majority of the tackles. Also want to see sacks and hurry the passer out of the D-line.

For the sake of discussion and because I like when you get roiled up, factor in this. SHSU and UCA have only played 3 games to our 4. SHSU has played 3 FCS teams with 2 being in the top 25 at the time of the game. They also played the first 2 games without the services of All-American PJ Hall. UCA has played 1 ranked FBS and 2 FCS teams. So if we take out the 9 TFL we had against UT-PB we are sitting at 14 comparing apples to apples.

geezer got me side tracked with tackles for a loss

i threw them out cuz they are gonna dominate the SLC. UCA def is good, Sams def sux

McN-31, Hbu-28, Sfa-27, Nich-27, Sela 22, Acu -19

I suppose I should have been a little more specific in I want to see tackles for loss by the NG or DT. The thirty yard down the field are the ones that I think of when I say number of tackles is somewhat meaningless. If the DB's are high on the tackle list then the down the field tackles are probably a high number. I believe ideally if your stopping the run the D-line and Linebackers should have the majority of the tackles. Also want to see sacks and hurry the passer out of the D-line.

top tacklers are always gonna be LB and DB. I was curious, so I looked up JJ Watt. He comes in at number 130 in total tackles.

the point i was trying to make is all summer we heard that there was nobody coming back, the cupboard was bare. only 4 starters returning on defense. all those guys started at some point.

we returned those 4 dline, 5 Lb, 3 db....i'm pretty sure all had starts last year.

so when they say, "we only return 4 starters" ...its BS. who are they counting? from which game?

hell, we switch DL and LB in and out so much, starter dont mean squat except in the secondary

find 11 of em, play em till they puke...old school

more fuzzy math to meet the " poor me" narrative

Edited by puddin tane

I knew we would struggle this year but was expecting to see improvements in organization,discipline and overall attitude.at this point we look we did the last several years.

Organization will get better. It's a new group of guys coaching together as a group for the first time. I see no discipline or attitude problems per se. The penalties have gotten better game by game and I haven't seen one kid quit even tho they've been down most of the time. The main problem I see is hardheadedness in play calling offensively and in personnel decisions, actually overall offensive scheme. They seem to only see what they want to see during film review I guess.

Getting ready to discuss Football with Mr Jernigan & Mr Randle. They both think they're coming over to eat. I'm gonna Roast their Asses. Right on cue, they just walked in. Excuse me for a moment. Lol

Just saw this, lol. I hope they stay off this board. We are (or maybe just I am) just ornery fat old farts longing for some LU success. I know those young me want to win just as bad as we want them to. Now, enough of the niceties, time to find something to complain about...let me check some other posts. Go Cards!

I said this earlier, Seems like all the games have had a totally different offensive approach.

I'm scared Schultz and his dual threat (ie: can't pass) quarterbacks are gonna end up in the veer or wishbone. That would put me in my grave, I believe.

We suck, stick in Morse and chunk that tater!

Ok, I've drank (drunk, drinked, drinkeded??) the puddin punch. Put in Morse and sling it!!!! And Replace 88 with Howard ....(I'm trying to be nice and not mention names on the replace side of the house). And get Banks 20+ touches!!

Just saw this, lol. I hope they stay off this board. We are (or maybe just I am) just ornery fat old farts longing for some LU success. I know those young me want to win just as bad as we want them to. Now, enough of the niceties, time to find something to complain about...let me check some other posts. Go Cards!

Thanks for your concern. My Son knows he has to take the good with the bad. We can't get upset because fans aren't praising your performance when the performance isn't very good. He says the Team is taking it one game at a time, trying to execute a complete game. They are aware of how difficult the schedule will be the rest of the Season.

I said this earlier, Seems like all the games have had a totally different offensive approach.

I'm scared Schultz and his dual threat (ie: can't pass) quarterbacks are gonna end up in the veer or wishbone. That would put me in my grave, I believe.

We suck, stick in Morse and chunk that tater!

Jeez, this quote has literally come out of my mouth on more than one occasion. The only problem is that I believe Morse is going to redshirt this year. The kids need a win this week, like bad. I'll be there cheering as always. Go Cards!

I hate to say this, and I would really like for Morse to get a real shot, but as they tried to redshirt him last year and he hasn't played yet this year, unless Schulz is willing to change his offensive scheme you will probably never see Morse as a starter. From what you have all said he doesn't fit the mold of the dual threat QB.

I hate to say this, and I would really like for Morse to get a real shot, but as they tried to redshirt him last year and he hasn't played yet this year, unless Schulz is willing to change his offensive scheme you will probably never see Morse as a starter. From what you have all said he doesn't fit the mold of the dual threat QB.

I'm not sure why he's so dead set on the dual threat QB. Didn't he coach Andy Dalton? He was a pocket passer. Morse is shifty enough to evade the rush and get a few yards here and there. He's the only QB on the team with a decent arm, actually a very good one, but he sits. Looks like they're gonna ride those dual threat dudes straight to a 2-9 possibly 3-8 record. smdh

I'm not sure why he's so dead set on the dual threat QB. Didn't he coach Andy Dalton? He was a pocket passer. Morse is shifty enough to evade the rush and get a few yards here and there. He's the only QB on the team with a decent arm, actually a very good one, but he sits. Looks like they're gonna ride those dual threat dudes straight to a 2-9 possibly 3-8 record. smdh

Yes, I think he was there with Dalton? I have nothing against true dual threat QB's..it'd be nice to have assuming they are good passers. But true dual threat QB's are hard to come by. And, no matter how fast you are...a thrown ball is faster and a you can't tackle it. (Ok, it can be intercepted or incomplete but you know what I mean).

I was watching some of the TCU/OK State game. They both appear to have great offenses and I wouldn't consider either of those QB's dual threat. Hill looks like he's playing great as is the kid from OK State. (I wonder what really happened with Hill and Sumlin...oh well, that's a different subject).

I'd be surprised if Morse ever gets another snap

Yes, I think he was there with Dalton? I have nothing against true dual threat QB's..it'd be nice to have assuming they are good passers. But true dual threat QB's are hard to come by. And, no matter how fast you are...a thrown ball is faster and a you can't tackle it. (Ok, it can be intercepted or incomplete but you know what I mean).

I was watching some of the TCU/OK State game. They both appear to have great offenses and I wouldn't consider either of those QB's dual threat. Hill looks like he's playing great as is the kid from OK State. (I wonder what really happened with Hill and Sumlin...oh well, that's a different subject).

Dalton ran quite a bit at TCU

I wouldn't consider averaging 30-35 yds a game a dual threat QB. Not Tom Bradyish, but not true dual threat when you're passing for over 200 yds per.

Dual threat is probably stretching it but TCU did just enough with Dalton running to force teams to account for it. Here's a good article on TCU using Dalton on the inverted Veer:

http://smartfootball.com/run-game/what-is-the-inverted-veer-dash-read#sthash.eGcrjzyy.dpbs