**Nicholls State vs Lamar Game Thread**

KABrother88

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cardinals Eye Southland Home Opener

After two weeks on the road, the Lamar University football team is back in the Golden Triangle to face Nicholls in their Southland Conference home opener. The Cardinals return home looking to turn things around from a slow start to the 2017 campaign.

The Cardinals enter the week in a three-way tie for eighth place in the Southland Conference standings, but just a win back of fifth place. Big Red returns to Provost Umphrey Stadium having lost two straight, but both losses have fallen in the hard luck category.

The Cardinals were driving late down seven at Northwestern State only to have the drive end on an interception deep in Demon territory. LU started the game at Southeastern Louisiana forcing turnovers on the Lions' first two possessions, including the opening kickoff, but found themselves down 14-0 midway through the first quarter. In both situations, the Cardinals were left trying to dig themselves out of a hole late in the game.

Click For Full Article

Nichols obviously played above their heads against TA&M but they are 2-2 including a close win last week again McNeese and gonna be hard to beat unless we can put together a solid 4 quarters of good football.

We will be tailgating and bringing out the pull pork sliders and cold ones! It's going to be great football weather and hopefully we have a decent crowd. Go Cards!!!

Can't tell if it's poor scheme or poor execution, but it seems like on all of Nicholls long runs the Cards loose leverage on the edge as the outside defender gets caught and or forced into the middle. On at least one long run the linebackers failed to fill a large hole. When you only have three down linemen you LBs have to fill the gaps. On the bright side #49 Crosley looks like he will be good in the future. Only a Freshman.

12:28 left in the first half and Nicholls gets their second touchdown following a deep pass that set them up first and goal at the one. Lamar corners continue to get beat on the deep passes. It's just whether the ball is caught or not.

Pick six for Nicholls on a very poor decision by Colbert. There was a flag for holding on the Cards that was declined, but it looked like the Nicholls end was lined up in the neutral zone. No excuse in regards to Lamar's execution but these officials have missed several calls in that have gone in Nicholls favor.

Nicholls answers the Lamar touchdown with a solid drive resulting in a touchdown. I've seen enough at this point to say that the loss of leverage on the corner is poor execution by the Lamar defensive players. On the run plays the DBs are sucking into the middle instead of keeping in their lane to maintain the corner edge. LBs may be doing similar.

Cowardly Schulz keeps players in the locker room. Apparently in this screwed up country it is ok to not let players go out for the anthem but it's not ok to make them go out, stand, and show some respect.

Anyway, based on the first half score (I turned around, didn't go to the game, I need time to digest this cowardly move by Schulz) it looks like the players should have just stayed in there hiding for the whole game.

I don't believe Schulz is keeping them in the locker room for anything to do with the things going on about the anthem. I personally have seen many games over the years where the teams didn't come out until after the anthem and never thought anything about it. Actually I could see staying in the locker room as a way to build up the excitement ahead of the kickoff. Typically the band plays the team onto the field and the crowd is raucous and then you take time out to have the anthem and quite often the excitement about the start of the game doesn't build back to the same level.

Offense and Defense play calling blows. This game was the worst yet. We're regressing. The coaches are totally ignoring what they see on film I guess. I feel for the kids. These coaches are better I think but they aren't showing it. This is getting embarrassing. They can't be watching film with an open mind

Cowardly Schulz keeps players in the locker room. Apparently in this screwed up country it is ok to not let players go out for the anthem but it's not ok to make them go out, stand, and show some respect.

Anyway, based on the first half score (I turned around, didn't go to the game, I need time to digest this cowardly move by Schulz) it looks like the players should have just stayed in there hiding for the whole game.

Schultz addressed this at his last press conference. He said every school he’s been at, the teams have always been in the locker room at that time. College football is different than the NFL in that the teams are typically in the locker room then...with Woodard, he had requested to have his team on the field for the anthem. Schultz didn’t even know Woodard had done that. He did briefly make his feelings know about the topic. If you go to the Beaumont Enterprise Sports Facebook page, Danny Shapiro live streamed the presser that day (this past Monday) and that portion of it is towards the beginning.

Going back to watch the game online and I must say...we need to get someone others than Dan Gresham calling the game...he just called the wrong name for a player for like 10 straight plays...2 of them were passes to the same player that he called the names incorrectly both times then when Nicholls has the ball he was looking at the Lamar roster

Schulz says to “trust the process”. I am not sure what that means. I don’t see anything that looks promising. No quick strike offense. No gassing the opponents defense. We can’t run the ball. We can’t throw. We can’t catch. We aren’t showing any promise with our offense. I’m not seeing anything that tells me in another year or two and we are going to be good. Our defense, well the obvious last night was no outside containment. Third down, hand off to number 30 and watch him run outside for at least 10 yards before he is even addressed by the defense. Again, nothing on defense that says when these guys are juniors or seniors our defense is going to be good. Nichols did whatever they wanted on offense and laughed at us while they did it. I’ll bet that at least a couple times, a Nichols RB got the ball and said to himself...Hey where did everybody go as he rounded the corner.

Schultz addressed this at his last press conference. He said every school he’s been at, the teams have always been in the locker room at that time. College football is different than the NFL in that the teams are typically in the locker room then...with Woodard, he had requested to have his team on the field for the anthem. Schultz didn’t even know Woodard had done that. He did briefly make his feelings know about the topic. If you go to the Beaumont Enterprise Sports Facebook page, Danny Shapiro live streamed the presser that day (this past Monday) and that portion of it is towards the beginning.

Exactly. Not usual for college teams to be on the field for the anthem. NFL only started doing it 7-8 years as part of a marketing deal.