LU Coach Shultz addresses National Anthem Protest

Mike

I wish he would have just said, at many colleges the team stays in the locker room during the national anthem getting the final preparations for the game and that is what we at Lamar Football are doing, and left out anything about the NFL, Trump or anyone else. ESPN made to big of an issue over Kapernick's kneeling in the first place. Edited by geezer

I noticed at the UT-PB game that the teams were no out for the anthem...was odd to me because with Woodard they always were but towards the end of last year it became a hot button topic as a few Lamar players made a demonstration. Also noticed the UT-PB players were trying to locate the flag presumably for the anthem only to not have it.

In reference to Schultz’s comments, on the surface I wish he wouldn’t have had a comment other than staying in the locker room like geezer mentioned. Also by him mentioning he was against the protests, he left himself open for a potential rift if players would take exception to it. I don’t know what’s known or discussed on the inside so this could have already very well been openly discussed in the locker room.

I agree, when Coach gave his sentiments on the protest, he confused me. He's against the silent protest, yet you & the entire Team stay in the locker room. Can't hide from Life's situations, eventually everyone involved with sports at LU will have to address this issue. Hiding in the locker rooms won't hide the Elephant. I pray for Wisdom & Understanding in these times. The Civil Rights Movement is still in progress

If your prep isn't finished by 20 minutes to kickoff, you shouldn't be in charge. Regardless of the reason, I don't like the idea of teams staying in the locker room during the national anthem and flag ceremony. The fans and the teams, should be participating, together. The ceremony is a traditional way to honor the country and the opportunities that it offers and while some players may choose to protest, which is their right, everyone in the stadium, protesting or not, for those few minutes, are all participating as Americans.

The majority of college teams do not come onto the field until after the anthem has been played so I do not mind Coach Shultz keeping the guys in the locker room. I do mind people using the anthem for a political purpose like they did last year and was allowed under Coach Woodard. Football is a time for everyone to come together and forget what they are telling you on the news networks and watch some football!