Thread: Lamar football training camp - defensive line

LU4LIFE

Lamar football training camp - defensive line

Aug. 19, 2011

BEAUMONT - As the third week of Lamar University's football training camp comes to an end, defensive line coach Will Richard sees a profound difference in the amount of depth and experience along the front that the Cardinals will take onto the field this season as opposed to 2010.

Richard, who was one of head coach Ray Woodard's first hires at Lamar, has seen the progression of the defense over his three years. While last year's defensive front could ill-afford an injury, Richard believes the 12 young men currently under his charge can all get the job done.

"This time last year we didn't have the depth we now have," Richard said. "We can go three deep across the board, and that has allowed us to rotate our front four guys during camp and keep them all fresh."

Keeping the players fresh is key under the grueling Southeast Texas sun as training camp continues. In addition to practicing every day this week, the Cardinals will hold another red-white scrimmage Saturday morning at 9 a.m. in Provost Umphrey Stadium.

"Our job is to be an anchor on the front line," said Richard, a former West Brook High School football player who also worked with Woodard at Navarro College. "We can't get pushed back into our linebackers, but rather have to hold the ground up front so the linebackers can fly around and make plays."

Richard is working with a unit that has eight returning letterwinners and four newcomers. There are only two seniors among the group, so Richard is confident that he will have talent to work with beyond just this season.

The first unit is led by senior Darby Jackson, a 6-foot-3, 215-pound defensive end who came to Lamar from Humble HS by way of Navarro. Jackson led the team with three and a half sacks in 2010, and his six and a half tackles for loss ranked fourth on the team.
    Â*

Â*

"Darby's doing a great job for us in camp right now," Richard said. "He's an athletic end who can make plays in the backfield."
    The other defensive end is manned by sophomore Jesse Dickson, while juniors Adren Dorsey and John Prescott are currently penciled in as the starters at tackle.

Dickson played in eight games as a redshirt freshman in 2010 and finished the season with 28 tackles and five and a half tackles for loss. Despite being 20 pounds heavier than Jackson, Dickson is also a high-energy player.

"Jesse has been amazing this camp," said Richard. "He is a guy whose motor runs constantly, and he has really benefitted from the offseason workouts by Coach (Scott) Reeves and the strength guys."

Dorsey is a prototypical defensive tackle, standing 6-foot-3 and weighing in at 315 pounds. After transferring in from Texas A&M, Dorsey picked up a pair of sacks and made life difficult for opposing offenses in 2010.

"Dorsey has really taken on a leadership role this camp that I haven't seen from him before," Richard said. "He is probably the strongest guy on our team, yet is still quick. Adren is doing a great job right now, and he can be as good as he wants to be."

Prescott is new to Lamar after spending two seasons at Cisco Junior College, but not new to Beaumont. The 6-foot, 275-pound Prescott was an All-District 20-4A performer at Ozen, and chose to return home to finish his college career.

"John's been doing a great job without having a spring season to work with us," said Richard.

The second unit is composed of senior Mario Foster, junior transfer Marcus Malbrough, redshirt junior Blake Chavis and sophomore Mark Murrill. However, Richard is quick to point out that all of these players will make significant contributions.

"I feel as comfortable with the second unit as I do with the first," Richard said. "It wasn't like that last year, and that will make this season more exciting and more fun.

"Right now in camp, each guy is getting three plays and then we're rotating. It's working out really well because guys are buying into what we as a defensive staff want from them, and they all know their role."

Junior Patrick Carlton, sophomores Jeremy Kirt and Ian Kelso and freshman Eric Arnold will also look for playing time along the defensive line.

"We need to work on getting more sacks and tackles for losses, as well as being in our correct assignments," said Richard. "However, as a unit we are making huge strides. We have asked these guys to throw their egos out the door, and they've all made a commitment to getting better."

LAMAR

NorthoftheBorder

Re: Lamar football training camp - defensive line

I was just going to post this myself. I am much more excited about reading the DL article. It was our weakest link last year but I hope that it is much improved as the article seems to suggest. Also happy to see Patrick Carlton and Ian Kelso moving over. This adds beef and depth to the line. If they can effectively get 12 guys rotating in and out without much dropoff, then our defense should be very much improved from last year.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Both the offensive and defensive lines are so much deeper this year.

CardAmbassador

It's very good news to hear that Patrick Carleton and Ian Kelso have transferred over to the defensive side of the ball.

I was like North, I thought the DL was a weakness and was still a little concerned about depth but now that they made this transition we are three deep on the D line. If the third string guys can learn quickly from the coaches we will be very solid up front.

This just increases my excitement for this year.

Looking at this makes me feel bad for last years guys, we were working with so little then.

bigred360

Heck, I'm happy if we are two deep on the defense front and thrilled if we can go three deep.