looking forward to 2018 season

Dracula

It's early early Sunday morning, it's quiet in the house, and even the dogs have packed it in. This is the best time to browse the web. I've checked out the Bruken, Germany webcam, Abbey Road webcam, Tower Bridge streaming webcam, and PTZtv to watch the cruise boats come and go. Really, nothing going on so I decided to browse Lamar football.

I was excited about the new coaching staff and the possibilities for a fast rebirth of Big Red football. As we all know, it didn't happen. I read the bios of the new staff and there is a lot of experience there. I just wonder, what is the best explanation for last season? Was Woodard worse than we thought, which resulted in the roster talent pool being willing to play hard but just not good enough? Going forward, is Schultz good enough? Personally, I think that he is. I think that the next signing class will be better and that next year the team will be better.

Nap time.

You can get a lot of negativity questioning the talent level of the players that played this past year as if they are locals most people think of them as potentially better than they really are because they are compared to high school talent because that is where they stood out. However, without focusing on the talent question the simple answer may be that the players did not fit the schemes the coaches want to move to and the coaches felt it was more important to begin installing the basics of the schemes they want to go to than trying to fit the schemes to the style of play the players were built for. I have seen several programs over the past that have tried to change schemes and it didn't work because the new scheme didn't match the players strength. Good example is switching between a 3-4 front and a 4-3 front on defense. The team probably doesn't have enough depth at the D-line position to make it work consistently. Going the other direction a team probably doesn't have the depth at linebacker it needs. Offense is most likely a lack of depth in the o-line and whether the QB is a pocket passer or a run oriented QB. Whatever the underlying issues were it is not uncommon for an initial drop following a coaching change. This years recruiting class and what the team looks like next year will begin to tell if Lamar made the right hire. As for me I do look forward to the 2018 season.

You can get a lot of negativity questioning the talent level of the players that played this past year as if they are locals most people think of them as potentially better than they really are because they are compared to high school talent because that is where they stood out. However, without focusing on the talent question the simple answer may be that the players did not fit the schemes the coaches want to move to and the coaches felt it was more important to begin installing the basics of the schemes they want to go to than trying to fit the schemes to the style of play the players were built for. I have seen several programs over the past that have tried to change schemes and it didn't work because the new scheme didn't match the players strength. Good example is switching between a 3-4 front and a 4-3 front on defense. The team probably doesn't have enough depth at the D-line position to make it work consistently. Going the other direction a team probably doesn't have the depth at linebacker it needs. Offense is most likely a lack of depth in the o-line and whether the QB is a pocket passer or a run oriented QB. Whatever the underlying issues were it is not uncommon for an initial drop following a coaching change. This years recruiting class and what the team looks like next year will begin to tell if Lamar made the right hire. As for me I do look forward to the 2018 season.

Agree. At least with the listing of recruits shown here that the coaching staff has a firm idea where the weaknesses are. And as Tom Herman said of his UT roster earlier this year, "we have a lot of great high school players on our team, but we are sorely lacking in great college players".

I think its a combination of lots of things. New Coaching regime, many experienced players leaving the program with the change, key players graduating, new schemes, and only starting 5 seniors.. Just to name a few. I wouldn't give up the ghost just yet on this new staff. I'll consider this past season as a red shirt season for the new staff. I'm, as always, optimistic for next season. Cautiously optimistic...but, still, optimistic.

I think its a combination of lots of things. New Coaching regime, many experienced players leaving the program with the change, key players graduating, new schemes, and only starting 5 seniors.. Just to name a few. I wouldn't give up the ghost just yet on this new staff. I'll consider this past season as a red shirt season for the new staff. I'm, as always, optimistic for next season. Cautiously optimistic...but, still, optimistic.

I think it will prove to be a bad hire. I saw no reason for optimism, especially on the offense. Defense started to improve s little. SLC was very weak last year and we managed 1 win, right???

no worries...the wing T or wishbone is coming. Passing (and attendance) will become a thing of the past.

no coaching changes to date? like an OC or DC?

Be happy, we signed a “dual threat” qb, translation...can’t pass. But, no worries, if you look at his hudl at least he’s slow