Thread: 2017/8 Houston Rockets Season

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

2017/8 Houston Rockets Season

Here we are at Christmas and the NBA season is nearly half over and the Rox are leading the Western Conference. No misprint here folks, Houston has a 1/2 game lead on the mighty Golden State Warriors and a 4.5 game lead over the Spurs. A lot of that is due to the recent 14 game winning streak that just ended on Wednesday in a 6 point loss to the Lakers. I don't like the Lakers much largely because a certain player's father is a world class douche bag. Be that as it may it seems like a little fatigue and a couple of injuries combined to slow the team down. They still scored 116 and the addition of a stud player in Chris Paul to compliment James Hardin has made the Rockets more than an afterthought.
    Right now CP3 is on the sidelines with a pulled groin and we likely won't see him again until after the first of the year. Eric Gordon is back from an injury of his own to step into the starting lineup for Paul. Houston has been getting really good minutes from Clint Cepela but he's been in and out of the lineup with a heel contusion. He is out of the lineup tonight against the LA Clippers who are leading late in the game. Nene has been a beast on the boards tonight hauling down 17 rebounds. The Beard is heading for another 50 point game you just hope Houston gets a couple of stops down the stretch. I'm watching the last minutes of the game and the Rox are definitely getting screwed on calls. The Clippers are in full flop mode and it's costing the Rockets big time. I think with just 1:31 left in the game and down nine Houston will be suffering their 2nd straight loss.
    Win or lose tonight the Rox are showing they are a team to be reckoned with. BTW, James Hardin just fouled out of the game but he stopped to give a ref a piece of his mind and was ejected for his trouble. It's incredible to think that Hardin has had back-to-back 51 point games and Houston lost both games.
    The game is mercifully over now and the Clips beat Houston 128 to 118.

Before the game the Rockets, in a real classy move IMO, showed a tribute video to honor former Rocket and current Clipper Patrick Beverly. Beverly earned his way into the NBA by coming up through the D leagues and he was a major contributor for 5 seasons for Houston. This past summer Beverly was traded to the Clippers as part of the Chris Paul deal but Houston decided to honor Patrick for his time as a Rocket. Beverly was honored despite the fact that he is out for the season and likely not even going to be at the game. I like Darrell Morey and the Rockets for this tribute. A very nice and classy thing to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: 2017/8 Houston Rockets Season

This year is ending in typical fashion concerning the sports teams I follow. The Cowboys and Texans have sunk to new lows and Lamar is on a losing streak and now the Rockets can't seem to win either. They travelled to OKC yesterday and lost by 5 to the Thunder 112-107 making it 3 losses in a row. Damn, man. I guess I am finally understanding holiday depression. It's hard to count your blessings when every one of your teams are down for the count. It's been nearly 3 months since the Astros put a smile on my face now I can't wait for baseball season again. I know the Rockets are less than half way through the season but I'll bet they are wishing 2017 would end as badly as I do. Enough of this, I'm out.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The Rockets ended up losing 5 straight after winning 14 in a row. They broke that losing streak on New Year's Eve with a wild shootout against the LA Lakers by a score of 148-142 in double overtime. Happy New Year Rox! The team got a much needed 3 day break before hitting the court again tomorrow night in Orlando. James Hardin is making 40+ point games a habit as he scored 40 with 11 assists on Sunday. That 5 game skid cost the Rox 1st place in the Western Conference as they now trail the Golden State Warriors by 2 games and they have just a game and a half cushion over San Antonio. It's still early yet as Houston is 6 game shy of being half way through their schedule. Lots of basketball to go and it's nice to have both LU and the Rox to root for as both teams are doing well so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The Rockets are riding high after beating the Golden State Warriors on Saturday night by 8 in a 116-108 victory that had a couple of Rockets players talking smack about how they are better than the Dubs. Clint Capela, for one, saying that the Rockets are better than the Warriors. PJ Tucker is a little more subdued than Capela saying Houston has the perfect team to challenge the Warriors. Houston has upped its record to 32-12 and they are just 3.5 games behind the 37-10 1st place Warriors. Houston leads the T-Wolves and Spurs by two games. Houston has won 5 of their last 6 games as Chris Paul has come back from his injury problems and has taken up the slack left with James Hardin’s pulled quad injury that cost him 7 games. He returned to action last Thursday and by his own admission, “felt like trash” in the win over the T-Wolves. He played better Saturday against the Dubs but it was CP3 that led the team with 33 points and 11 rebounds and 7 assists.
    The Rockets are benefitting from really good play by their supporting cast. G Eric Gordon has been special as has Capela and Tucker. It seems like everyone has been contributing on the boards. Despite the fact that Houston doesn’t play great defense this team hustles and the up tempo style of play in Mike D’Antoni’s offense suits the team as it is made up. The addition of Chris Paul was a big deal and if the Rox hadn’t run into some injury issues in December and earlier this month that gap between Houston and Golden State might be even closer. Houston has won the season series against GS 2 games to 1. That doesn’t mean anything in the grand scheme of things but for the fact that that Coach D’Antoni can use that as a confidence booster when and if the two teams should meet in the playoffs. At 44 games in, just over the half way point in the season, Houston is on a pace to win 64 games and that is not too shabby. As long as injuries don’t creep up at the wrong time this Houston Rockets team is pretty darn good and they have a legit shot at representing the Western Conference in the NBA finals. Still a long way to go to start talking that kind of smack but this team is no longer an after thought behind Golden State and San Antonio.
    Houston is back in action tonight as they host the Miami Heat in the Toyota Center. 7 PM folks, be there or be square.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

So, how ‘bout them Rockets! The finished up their pre-All Star Game schedule last night with a 100-91 win over the Sacramento Kings last night. That win coupled with a Golden State loss to Portland gives Houston the best record in the Western Conference by ½ game over Golden State and it also means they have the best record in basketball.
    An interesting stat that I heard on Golic and Wingo this morning is that Houston is 29-3 when Chris Paul and James Hardin play in a game together. That is a pretty nice stat and the fact that Hardin and Paul have both missed time this season due to injury the Rockets could have an even better record at this point.
    The Rockets kicked around in the offseason trying to land another star player, Carmello Anthony was a name that many people threw out but it didn’t happen and Houston seemed to lose out on attaining a “Big 3” for their team. Or did they? It seems Clint Capela has become the 3rd member of the trio giving Houston a Big 3 after all. How much impact has Capela made? The Rox are 28-1 when Hardin, CP3 and Capela are all in the lineup together. Capela has also missed some time due to injuries but this is a very dynamic group that is beginning to garner attention from the National Media. The Rox have supplanted San Antonio as the major rival in the Western Conference.
    Could the Rockets be riding on the wings of the Astros championship? It’s too early to tell obviously but there is no denying the fact they are definitely a legit part of that conversation!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I haven’t checked in on the Houston Rockets lately here so it’s worth a look. Last Wednesday Houston pushed its current win streak to 17 straight with a 110-99 win over Minnesota. That streak ended last Friday when the Toronto Raptors topped Houston by a score of 108-105 in Toronto. It was the first loss for the Rox since January 26th. Houston went the entire month of February without a loss. Pretty impressive streak for the back half of the season.
    The Rockets got back on the winning track last night when they beat Dallas 105-82. James Hardin continues to march along with his MVP caliber season. So far, this season, he’s averaging 31.1 points, 8.8 assists and 5.1 rebounds per game. Against the Mavs, last night, he sat out due to a sore knee. It didn’t matter as Chris Paul led the Rox charge with a double-double (24 pts, 12 assists) and Erik Gordon poured in 26 to lead all scorers in the game.
    Houston is still atop the Western Conference standings with a 52-14 record which is also tops in all of the NBA. They now hold a 1-1/2 lead over Golden State with just 16 games left in the season. The Rox will be back on the floor tonight against San Antonio in Houston. Tipoff is at 7 PM.