Thread: Former LU Coach John Peyton Passes

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Former LU Coach John Peyton Passes

Just learned today that Coach John Peyton passed away. Anyone that's been around LU, or the Triangle for any amount of time, should know about the legacy and impact that he made in the lives of so many, especially the students and student athletes at Lamar. A member of both the PVAMU & LU Hall of Honors, he will be sorely missed by many.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Former LU Coach John Peyton Passes

I heard this and needed to make a comment. I played football in the early to mid 80’s under the Ken Stephen’s time. I was recruited and signed under Coach Kennan. When Stephens took over Coach Payton remained on the staff. Coach Payton was a football coach during this time. It didn’t take long to realize what a great teacher and coach he was. As I continued my time at LU I learned what a great man he was. It was my pleasure to play under Coach Payton. Coach Payton was a great coach and better person. When I grew up and football at LU started up again, I had the privilege of seeing Coach Payton at Cardinal Club football pregame activities. I got to meet his wife and tell her what great respect and admiration I had for “Coach”. It was my honor and privilege to know and play for him. He was like a celebrity. If you ever met or talked with him, it was easy to see why he was a great coach. He was a great communicator. I will miss Coach Payton. I was honored to know him. I pray for his family. He was a great man.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Had the pleasure of taking a class that Coach Payton taught in 2009 or 2010...Sports Officiating lol. You could tell during roll call on day one that this man was a great human being. I’m not sure what sparked it but me and him began talking 1-on-1 very early on and I mentioned I was from a small town about an hour north of Beaumont called Woodville (about 2,500 people). He just looked at me and smiled and said he had very fond memories of Woodville. Come to find out, Coach Payton’s first job out of college was at Scott High School which was the all-black HS in Woodville before desegregation. He won 2 basketball state championships as coach there and until my junior year in 2005, those were the only team championships in the town’s history.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Funeral services for Coach Payton will be Saturday, February 3rd at 10 AM at Antioch Baptist Church in Beaumont. I figured I would pass this along since I know we have several posters played for or have crossed paths with Coach Payton.
    Last edited by KABrother88; 01-30-2018 at 02:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Correction February 3rd not 4th