Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Who will be the new AD?

  
  1. #1
    1-STAR POSTER Chad Cooper's Avatar









    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    47
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    1000

    Who will be the new AD?

    Heard Lamar has put together a search committee for new AD and want to have a decision by April.

    Any thoughts or wish list?
    Follow me on Twitter @thechadcooper

  2. #2
    1-STAR POSTER SportsGuy's Avatar









    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    54
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    1000

    Re: Who will be the new AD?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Cooper View Post
    Heard Lamar has put together a search committee for new AD and want to have a decision by April.

    Any thoughts or wish list?
    Outside of Tidwell... wouldn’t know of any other names!

    Any idea who they’re after?

  3. #3
    5-STAR POSTER geezer's Avatar









    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,756
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    1000

    Re: Who will be the new AD?

    I'm hoping they're looking outside for someone who has been successful in building or rebuilding an athletic program at another school. Needs to be someone that can get donors that will be looking to the future and not stuck in the past. Needs to be able to work with the president to inspire a vision of where Lamar can be in the future. Evans has definitely carried on the tradition of improving and building up Lamar the Dr. Simmons began.

  4. #4
    2-STAR POSTER BigNasty92's Avatar









    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    458
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    1000

    Re: Who will be the new AD?

    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    I'm hoping they're looking outside for someone who has been successful in building or rebuilding an athletic program at another school. Needs to be someone that can get donors that will be looking to the future and not stuck in the past. Needs to be able to work with the president to inspire a vision of where Lamar can be in the future. Evans has definitely carried on the tradition of improving and building up Lamar the Dr. Simmons began.
    You must know something about Evans that most others do not. My opinion of him from the few personal interactions that I have had with him is that he's certainly not a guy that could get anyone to open their wallets. Zero charisma, much like Henderson. Granted, i do not feel anyone could come close to Simmons when it comes to being invested in the university personally and professionally. Don't think there will ever be another one like him.
    IMO, I think Tidwell would do an excellent job and had a great vision for the direction of our athletic programs. He also knows how to raise money and treat donors right. From my understanding, LT despised Henderson and knew without a doubt the guy was in way over his head. Henderson's promotion to AD is what made him leave for UTPB.
    Likes LU1991 liked this post
     

  5. #5
    5-STAR POSTER geezer's Avatar









    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,756
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    1000

    Re: Who will be the new AD?

    You don't think Tidwell could have had the AD job if he had wanted it, before they gave it to Henderson? I think the fact that they haven't just run out and filled it is hopefully a good sign that they are looking for the kind of person that can attract donors and has a good vision for what it will take to improve Lamar's athletic department across the spectrum. Big time improvements are needed at Vincent-Beck and I'm sure the other more minor sports facilities need improvements too. Can't attract top coaches or athletes with outdated facilities.

  6. #6
    1-STAR POSTER spoonbill's Avatar









    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    145
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    1000

    Re: Who will be the new AD?

    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    You don't think Tidwell could have had the AD job if he had wanted it, before they gave it to Henderson? I think the fact that they haven't just run out and filled it is hopefully a good sign that they are looking for the kind of person that can attract donors and has a good vision for what it will take to improve Lamar's athletic department across the spectrum. Big time improvements are needed at Vincent-Beck and I'm sure the other more minor sports facilities need improvements too. Can't attract top coaches or athletes with outdated facilities.
    I thought Tidwell did have the AD job before Henderson. Coached women's basketball and was AD both but he decided he wanted to concentrate on coaching. Also heard he left partially, at least, because of Henderson. Maybe he would be content as AD and has coaching out of his system. He's a great communicator and fund raiser. He would be a great choice imho.

  7. #7
    5-STAR POSTER geezer's Avatar









    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,756
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    1000

    Re: Who will be the new AD?

    Best I remember Tidwell was only interim AD, might be wrong though. I am sure you are correct he wanted to concentrate on coaching. Also if memory is anywhere near what I hope it is, he really didn't want to be part of firing Rocofforte.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator KABrother88's Avatar








    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Nederland
    Posts
    3,034
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    1100

    Re: Who will be the new AD?

    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Best I remember Tidwell was only interim AD, might be wrong though. I am sure you are correct he wanted to concentrate on coaching. Also if memory is anywhere near what I hope it is, he really didn't want to be part of firing Rocofforte.
    He started as just interim but later had that tag dropped and was given the full title after a few months. Then Henderson stepped in as interim and had the title dropped after over a year with that tag.

  9. #9
    5-STAR POSTER geezer's Avatar









    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,756
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    1000

    Re: Who will be the new AD?

    I'm sure your correct about Tidwell getting the full AD tag, but then why not resign as AD and keep the coaching gig? I still think his leaving had something to do with the firing of Roc. Maybe one of you is correct and he didn't want to be at LU with Henderson at any position in the AD's office. Who hired Knight anyway?

  10. #10
    Super Moderator KABrother88's Avatar








    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Nederland
    Posts
    3,034
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    1100

    Re: Who will be the new AD?

    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    I'm sure your correct about Tidwell getting the full AD tag, but then why not resign as AD and keep the coaching gig? I still think his leaving had something to do with the firing of Roc. Maybe one of you is correct and he didn't want to be at LU with Henderson at any position in the AD's office. Who hired Knight anyway?
    I did some research so we have a timeline of events.

    September 1999:
    Jimmy Simmons named President

    May 2002:
    Billy Tubbs named AD

    March 2003:
    Billy Tubbs becomes MMB coach

    March 2006:
    Billy Tubbs steps down as MBB coach
    Steve Roccaforte named MBB coach

    May 2007:
    Larry Tidwell named WBB coach

    June 2010:
    Billy Tubbs resigns as AD
    Larry Tidwell named interim AD

    September 2010:
    Larry Tidwell named full time AD

    March 2011:
    Steve Roccaforte fired as MBB coach

    April 2011:
    Pat Knight named MBB coach

    May 2011:
    Larry Tidwell steps down as AD
    Jason Henderson named interim AD

    June 2012:
    Jason Henderson named full time AD

    January 2013:
    Jimmy Simmons retires as President

    March 2013:
    Kenneth Evans named President

    April 2013:
    Larry Tidwell resigns as WBB coach
    Robin Harmony named WBB coach

    February 2014:
    Pat Knight fired as MBB coach
    Tic Price named interim MBB coach

    March 2014:
    Tic Price named full time MBB coach

    November 2017:
    Jason Henderson “resigns” as AD

  11. #11
    5-STAR POSTER geezer's Avatar









    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,756
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    1000

    Re: Who will be the new AD?

    Thanks for the research, so now the questions are, was letting Roc go the catalyst to Tidwell stepping down as AD and what part did the Knight era play in everything. Was Knight a Tidwell pick, was Tidwell encouraged by someone else to hire Knight, did Tidwell see the disaster that was the end of Knight coming and decide to get out of town before it happened? If Knight was a Tidwell pick that wouldn't speak very highly for him at least from the stand point of picking future coaches. Granted he was very easy to like and raised a lot of money to build up the ladies program.

  12. #12
    HALL OF FAMER eagle eye's Avatar









    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,819
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    950

    Re: Who will be the new AD?

    Judging by the posts on this thread I gather that everyone liked Tidwell. Personable guy. The questions around his leaving the school are disturbing at best. He was the AD when Roc was fired so loyalty to him seems a bit of a stretch and he certainly had something to do with hiring Knight. What I’m not seeing is how he is doing in his new position. If he’s mediocre or worse do we want him? Emphatically no. I would like to see the committee select someone who has been successful in other places. Or someone who has a pedigree of success as a coach. The committee needs to look beyond the interview. I’ve seen it too often at my place of business, people kill the interview and get hired only to find out they stink at their job. The interview is important but record and references count just as much. All I hope for is this committee does a better job than they did with the Henderson hire.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •