Cardinal Coverage

WildCard

Does anyone know why some of the local media are not covering the Cardinals? Is there some rift between them and the athletic department? The Beaumont Enterprise last two Sunday editions had not a single word about Cardinal athletics despite the fact that there Saturday games both weeks. This past Saturday (February 17) there was baseball game, followed by women's basketball, followed by men's basketball. All of this had ended by 6:30 pm so it can't be a deadline problem. Channel 12's weekend guy didn't even mention that they had played--pretending they didn't play doesn't make up for zero coverage. Being happy and enthusiastic does not make up for it either. Counting Ogletree they've had three new guys none of whom seems to have clue about the SE Texas market.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know why some of the local media are not covering the Cardinals? Is there some rift between them and the athletic department? The Beaumont Enterprise last two Sunday editions had not a single word about Cardinal athletics despite the fact that there Saturday games both weeks. This past Saturday (February 17) there was baseball game, followed by women's basketball, followed by men's basketball. All of this had ended by 6:30 pm so it can't be a deadline problem. Channel 12's weekend guy didn't even mention that they had played--pretending they didn't play doesn't make up for zero coverage. Being happy and enthusiastic does not make up for it either. Counting Ogletree they've had three new guys none of whom seems to have clue about the SE Texas market.

cuz the enterprise has sucked for about 10 years..its good for wrapping fish guts..about it

tv? like a lot of setexas, seems to think life ends after high school football

cuz the enterprise has sucked for about 10 years..its good for wrapping fish guts..about it

tv? like a lot of setexas, seems to think life ends after high school football

Not even adequate for wrapping fish guts. Have you seen a Monday paper lately?! Good enough to wrap minnow guts maybe lol.

Don't intend to make an excuse for the reporting, but it might have something to do with the coaching staffs. Schultz doesn't seem like the kind that puts much out to the public. I think he's hoping the play on the field will say all that is needed. That said, there is no excuse for not at minimum not reporting the scores of the basketball teams. Also as spring is coming on baseball and softball deserve some reporting also.

Don't intend to make an excuse for the reporting, but it might have something to do with the coaching staffs. Schultz doesn't seem like the kind that puts much out to the public. I think he's hoping the play on the field will say all that is needed. That said, there is no excuse for not at minimum not reporting the scores of the basketball teams. Also as spring is coming on baseball and softball deserve some reporting also.

We’ve already had Schulz one season too many, just sayin..

Danny Shapiro did a great job covering Lamar but when the BE’s main HS coverage guy left, they shifted Danny to the HS side of reporting and hired a new guy to cover Lamar. This will be the 4th or 5th guy covering Lamar in the last 6-7 years.

Channel 12 is going through quite a transition. Dave Hofferth retired in December after 40 years in SETX. The first 20 years were spent doing play-by-play calls of Lamar athletics for KLVI and the final 20 were spent working for Channel 12. Prior to that, Channel 12 lost Ashly Elam in May who had been there for 18 years. On the Channel 12 website this is the bio for the new Sports Director Lance Edwards, “Lance Edwards is a Reporter”. That’s it. At least the weekend guy J Russell’s bio has an explanation as to why his fist name is a single letter (it has to do with his fathers admiration to Julius “Dr. J” Irving).

Another thing I’ve noticed trying to get information on the football side for this site is that Woodard was much more “approachable” the Schultz. I’ve done a Q & A interview with each of them. Woodard sent me his email address and I had it back in a matter of a couple of days. With Schultz, I had to go through the media relations guy and it took a couple weeks to get back. I won’t say that Schultz doesn’t like the media, but he certainly seems to be a polar opposite of Woodard who seemed to enjoy it. In his dealings with the media, Schultz reminds me a lot of Alabama HC Nick Saban...just kind of a no nonsense guy that honestly has better things to do...and there is nothing wrong with that. However, Saban has built one of CFB’s greatest dynasties, at one of its top blue blood programs that is supported by a rabid fan base. Lamar however is a struggling program with very little positive history and has a dwindling fan base. Three letters will fix all that though...W-I-N.

I try to do as much as I can for this site, but I quite frankly have finally found 24 hours in a day just aren’t enough. I’d like to thank all the other posters who keep info posted and a big hat tip to geezer for keeping the board updated throughout basketball season. I followed but tended to not chime in with my two cents because in all honesty, I don’t know jack about basketball. I’m short and can’t jump so you can probably see why I didn’t care for the sport growing up.

Danny Shapiro did a great job covering Lamar but when the BE’s main HS coverage guy left, they shifted Danny to the HS side of reporting and hired a new guy to cover Lamar. This will be the 4th or 5th guy covering Lamar in the last 6-7 years.

Channel 12 is going through quite a transition. Dave Hofferth retired in December after 40 years in SETX. The first 20 years were spent doing play-by-play calls of Lamar athletics for KLVI and the final 20 were spent working for Channel 12. Prior to that, Channel 12 lost Ashly Elam in May who had been there for 18 years. On the Channel 12 website this is the bio for the new Sports Director Lance Edwards, “Lance Edwards is a Reporter”. That’s it. At least the weekend guy J Russell’s bio has an explanation as to why his fist name is a single letter (it has to do with his fathers admiration to Julius “Dr. J” Irving).

Another thing I’ve noticed trying to get information on the football side for this site is that Woodard was much more “approachable” the Schultz. I’ve done a Q & A interview with each of them. Woodard sent me his email address and I had it back in a matter of a couple of days. With Schultz, I had to go through the media relations guy and it took a couple weeks to get back. I won’t say that Schultz doesn’t like the media, but he certainly seems to be a polar opposite of Woodard who seemed to enjoy it. In his dealings with the media, Schultz reminds me a lot of Alabama HC Nick Saban...just kind of a no nonsense guy that honestly has better things to do...and there is nothing wrong with that. However, Saban has built one of CFB’s greatest dynasties, at one of its top blue blood programs that is supported by a rabid fan base. Lamar however is a struggling program with very little positive history and has a dwindling fan base. Three letters will fix all that though...W-I-N.

I try to do as much as I can for this site, but I quite frankly have finally found 24 hours in a day just aren’t enough. I’d like to thank all the other posters who keep info posted and a big hat tip to geezer for keeping the board updated throughout basketball season. I followed but tended to not chime in with my two cents because in all honesty, I don’t know jack about basketball. I’m short and can’t jump so you can probably see why I didn’t care for the sport growing up.

Appreciate everyone's posts here. Dave Hofferth will definitely be missed around the golden triangle. That man always had his video camera with him to make sure he got some live footage at multiple events. Ashly Elam is greatly missed too. The difference between Schultz and Saban reminds me of O'Brien and Belichick. If you've had the massive success of Belichick and Saban, you come off as a mad scientist genius. If you haven't had that success yet, you come off as somewhat of an a$$hat, whether it's actually true or not.

Puddin is correct at least from the stand point that the media will cover what the perceived audience wants. My experience in Southeast Texas, that is high school football, Texas A&M football and UT football. When LU sports are winning consistently and the viewers get interested maybe there will be a difference.