Thread: Men vs SFA

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Men vs SFA

Great win for the men tonight! I watched the second half and we played a great game. We look totally different when we actually move around and pass the ball, and when we play defense. So sweet to beat SFA at SFA!!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Men vs SFA

Yes it was a great win. Once a year I have to travel to Houston for a medical check up and this is the weekend before it so I took the opportunity to see the Cards live. Enjoyed the game tremendously. And SFA had some kind of promotion going on,so even got in free. The team played with a lot of energy which made up for some of the usual poor offensive decisions that led to some turnovers, but the three pointers falling and the overall aggressive play made the difference. When was the last time LU had a sweep over SFA? If I remember a comment from the announcers during the home win that was like the second time Lamar had defeated SFA since at least when Price took over and I'm pretty sure it goes back before Roc.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Men have locked up at least the sixth seed for the tourney and could gain another spot with a UNO loss and a Cardinal win next week. Cardinal nation will need to travel to Lake Charles to support the Big Red.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The Lamar teams won on cram the coliseum night with reportedly 7000+ attendance.This was over the school that according to FOIA releases spends more on its coaches than any team in the conference.This result was not a very good ROI for SFA was it?But then again,the Astros did the same to the Red Sox,Yankees and Dodgers last year.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

If they claim there were seven thousand then they counted tickets not given out. The north end of the court sections were sparse and there were plenty of seats available on both sides of the court . I would say there were significantly more people at the game than at any of the Cardinal home games the I attended for possibly any time since Billy Tubbs second stint as coach. My guess would be that the facility was maybe two thirds of capacity, which is very good.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Savvy AD's report attendance in the box score as the higher of tickets sold or Butts in the seats.Also the second game of a doubleheader on the same ticket should never have a lower reported attendance than the first .Thats how a number of coaches I surveyed want it reported to conference sites that post attendance.Low attendance reports can hurt recruiting.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Maybe some alumnus should make a deal that automatically buys all unsold seats at some point during the game for a ridiculous low fee so that all Lamar games can be listed as sold out. I am aware that it is not unusual for the attendance figures to be misrepresented to bolster whatever the perceived need is. Just thought you might be interested in an opinion of the actual attendance based from an on site observation as opposed to what they posted. Also SFA always asks fans to move to unoccupied lower seats after the first media timeout so that the place looks like there are more in attendance from their video feeds.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Great insights and game day contributions Geezer.Jason Henderson did work with organizations to buy large quantities of upper level seats at a discount and similarly on Lamar promoted games.SFA did likewise for our heavily promoted game.Obviously their fan site did not reach their goal of 7000+ lumberjack buttocks in the seats based on your able reporting

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I don’t know what actual attendance was but from what I saw they had a VERY good crowd

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Stated seating capacity for their arena is 7203. I would say there was close to 5000 actual attendance, maybe 5500. There student section was pretty well packed from floor to the top. That is one area that I really wish would improve at Lamar. I almost can't imagine paying the fees to support athletics at Lamar and not taking advantage of the free tickets as often as I could if I were a student. Naturally I would like to see greater attendance in general but us older folks can't inspire the players like their peers can. Nor will we heckle the opposition in the same manner.
    Last edited by geezer; 02-25-2018 at 08:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The Men ended SFA's home winning streak which was the 3rd longest.How sweet it is to date myself by channeling Jackie Gleason in The Honeymooners.Hey Ralph Hey Norton.Do you remember that Geezer ?

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Oh yeah, I go back to black and white tv and going to the tv to change the channel of which there were only three maybe four if you were near a big city. I was my dads main remote control.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

winning 20 games is a big deal for this program.hasnt happened very often in recent years.hopefully the guys understand this and come out with guns blazing against mcneese.