The 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason

eagle eye

The Combine, the NFL Scouting Combine is right around the corner. This coming week to be specific. Beginning Tuesday going through next Monday over 300 college prospects with agree to being poked, prodded, and put through a number of drills to help NFL scouts and coaches put together their draft boards in preparation for the April NFL Draft. Those of you who follow the Cowboys likely already know about the Cowboys webcast of The Draft Show. It's an informative show that the guys who host the show, Bryan Broaddus, Dane Brugler and David Helman will be in Indianapolis for the next week to recap the days' events and give some insight to what they saw. Of course all the draft geeks out among us have been in a steady state of arousal for the past week at least and they will finally get their release this week. Non-stop coverage on the NFL Channel is a given but shows like The Draft Show give a slightly different perspective and should act as a good post coitus cigarette each day.

Ever since the 2017 season ended there has been talk, mostly negative talk, about what the future of Dez Bryant should or could be this offseason. Most speculated that Dez' falloff in production and subpar play was grounds to kick him to the curb or trade him. In all honesty, there are too many fantasy football players out there who think you can just pick and choose players with no consequence. Dez' salary cap hit would be around $16 MM which is not chump change making cutting him a stupid proposition. Would you like to pay out $16 MM and get absolutely nothing in return? I think not. The other line of thinking has the Cowboys asking Dez to take a pay cut. Judging by what was said in an interview on Dallas local radio station 105.3 The Fan Dez doesn't plan on taking a pay cut. I agree with him but it's disturbing that COO Stephen Jones was non-committal early in the week about Bryant's situation.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2018/02/23/dez-bryant-breaks-silence-about-contract-criticism-future

On another note, the Cowboys have finalized their 2018 coaching staff. One of the biggest coaching hires this offseason could very well be former Seahawks DBs coach and DC Kris Richard. Richard was over the most dynamic secondary in football when he coached Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor and company. He should have a great impact as the Cowboys DB's coach and passing game coordinator as he will inherit a good group of young DB's, most of whom are only in their 2nd year in the NFL. Dallas could also add another young CB to the mix with their 19th pick in the first round of this year's draft. If you believe the hype, the Cowboys lost a good coach when LB's coach Matt Eberflus took the DC job in Indianapolis. Eberflus decided to stay in Indianapolis even though his buddy Josh McDaniels backed out of the head coaching position at the last minute and chose to remain as OC in New England. It was McDaniels who lured Eberflus out of Dallas but the job as DC is one that he seemed on the fast track for somewhere and I suppose he figure Indy was as good a place as any. More on the new coaching hires from DallasCowboys.com.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2018/02/23/cowboys-finalize-coaching-staff-including-10-new-hires-promotions

The biggest news from The Star in Frisco isn't about the NFL Scouting Combine which began in Indianapolis yesterday it right there at Cowboys headquarters where a bit of a bombshell was dropped by ESPN and 247sports yesterday. These entities are reporting that Jerry Jones has made a decision to drop Ticketmaster and go with SeatGeek as the ticket handler of AT&T Stadium. The official announcement has yet to be made.

There are a couple of reasons for this move. First, Jones will get a 14% return on ticket sales which he doesn't get with Ticketmaster which will mean a lot more money in Jones' pocket and secondly, which is my opinion here, Jones will sort of be sticking it to the NFL by the move because the NFL has a stake in Ticketmaster and by moving the Cowboys will cost Ticketmaster AND the NFL a big chunk of money thereby sticking it to Roger Goodell whom Jones feuded with over the Ezekiel Elliott suspension last fall. The Cowboys aren't the first team to make a break from Ticketmaster but they are the highest profile one to do so. The detail are in the article linked below from 247sports.

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/Bolt/Report-Cowboys-to-leave-Ticketmaster-enter-deal-with-SeatGeek-115629142

From the here's a real kick in the nuts department: The NFL competition committee meeting in Indianapolis this week reviewed the play in the 2014 playoff game between Dallas and Green Bay and they came to a unanimous decision that in the most pivotal play of the game Dez Bryant did, in fact, catch the ball. Such a ruling at the time likely would have resulted in a Cowboys TD giving them the lead with around 2 minutes left to play in the game. Now, given the fact that even though Aaron Rodgers was essentially playing on one leg the Cowboys defense couldn't seem to pressure him or stop the Packers offense so there is no guarantee Dallas would have been able to hang on and win but it would have been nice to find out. Fucking Dean Blandino.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2018/02/27/cowbuzz-competition-committee-says-dez-caught-it-cowboys-nation-reacts

• 1 month later...

The NFL Draft is just two days away and everyone who roots for the Cowboys is sure that Dallas will use that first round draft pick, number 19 overall, on a wide receiver. Why? Well because they let Dez Bryant go a week ago last Friday. I submit this is faulty thinking because the WR room was restocked with Alan Hurns and Deonte Thompson. Hurns is a big body possession receiver similar to Dez while Thompson is a fast, deep threat, WR that replaces Brice Butler who signed with Arizona this offseason as a free agent. The Cowboys could use a really good WR but it is not a pressing need IMO.

Did anyone notice how the Cowboys D went straight into the toilet when Sean Lee went down with an injury? If you are a Cowboys fan you certainly did. The Cowboys lacked depth last year and it’s worse now with the departure of Anthony Hitchens via free agency as he signed a deal with the Kansas City Chiefs. They also have not resigned Kyle Wilber who signed with Oakland this offseason following former Cowboys special teams coach Rich Bisaccia to the Bay Area. Dallas needs linebacker depth because there is a distinct possibility that Sean Lee will get hurt at some point in the season and miss time and Jaylon Smith is still a bit of an unknown at this point because he is still recovering from nerve damage in his foot as a result of the severely torn ACL suffered in his last college game just over two years ago.

I would like Dallas to draft a young man out of Boise State named Leighton Vander Esch. He’s got good size (6’4”, 256 lbs) who ran a 4.65-40 at the NFL Scouting Combine. Here is an overview of Vander Esch from NFL.com;

Vander Esch is a loose-hipped, instinctive linebacker who played in 2017 like he had a GPS tracker on the football. His production totals against both the run and pass are rare for being a first-year starter and with a frame that is primed for more muscle, his NFL ceiling is high. Vander Esch might benefit from a reduced role his rookie season while he improves his play strength and becomes more skilled at taking on blocks. He's an every-down linebacker with very good starting potential and the talent to fill up a stat sheet.

I would love to see Dallas pick up a cornerback in the 2nd round, either Iowa’s Joshua Jackson or Colorado’s Isaiah Oliver if one of them is still available but I would love to see Dallas get another linebacker in the 3rd or 4th round. Texas’ Malik Jefferson or Skai Moore out of South Carolina are good targets. DallasCowboys.com’s Bryan Broaddus loves Iowa’s Josey Jewel. I am sort of hoping that Dallas can draft 3 linebackers. As they say you can never have enough good cornerbacks or linebackers with the GOOD the key word there. Dallas doesn’t have near enough linebackers, good or otherwise. They need to restock their LB room and the first round is a great place to start.

Edited by eagle eye

I think they go LB in the first round. Last season's meltdown,after Sean Lee went down, plus the LB personnel losses this off season, was a kick to Jerry's footballs. Even in his seventies, that surely left a mark and made a lasting impression.

The NFL Draft is just one day and a few hours away and the discussions among Cowboys fans are heating up. As I said yesterday, wide receiver is on everyone’s mind given the release of the Cowboys all-time touchdown receptions leader, Dez Bryant. And, like yesterday, I believe the Cowboys need to use at least 3 of their 10 picks on linebackers. That said, I think Dallas has some interesting decisions from the 2nd round on.

The Cowboys have to draft for need or they just take the best player available when their turn comes up. There is one more choice which is to select the best player available according to need. Ahh, there is something to that given that the Cowboys main needs, as I see it, are linebacker, O-line (either guard or tackle but mainly guard) and cornerback. Dallas could even go with tight end in the second round. Whaaaat? That’s right, TE. I know we all think Jason Witten will live forever but, in reality, his days are numbered after 14 years in the NFL. There is a possibility that with their 2nd round pick the Cowboys could draft the successor to Mr Witten. The top two prospects in this draft are Penn State’s Mike Gesicki (6’4”, 247 lbs) and South Dakota State’s Dallas Goedert (6’5”, 255 lbs).

Gesicki is a fine athlete who is best as a pass catcher. He also has good speed (4.56-40 at the NFL combine) for a TE. He needs work as a blocker and he needs to get stronger according to scouts. Jason Witten isn’t a great blocker but he gets in the way really well. Witten is generally considered the best all-around TE in the NFL since the new millennium. He doesn’t have the numbers receiving that an Antonio Gates or a Tony Gonzalez had but he is better all around. The fact that Gesicki is already a great receiver is a great start.

As good as Gesicki is, Dallas Goedert may be even better. He’s bigger than Gesicki (6’5”, 255 lbs) and he is fast. He posted a 4.55-40 with a 41.5” vertical jump and scouts say he is good as a receiver in all 3 levels of the receiving tree, short, intermediate and deep. Like Gesicki, he will need to get stronger and refine blocking skills but as a blocker he is already better than Gesicki - at the FCS level. Scouts say the downside is he needs to prove he can do what he did in the Missouri Valley Conference against the next level of competition. Another plus for Goedert is he is a former basketball player having starred in his high school in the sport. This speaks well of his athleticism and agility.

The Cowboys have been trying to find Jason Witten’s replacement for years with little to no luck. Just since 2000 the pretenders include (I wonder if you remember any of these guys) John Phillips, Martellus Bennett, Gavin Escobar, James Hanna, Geoff Swaim and Rico Gathers. Hanna was just put on the reserve/retired list because of issues with his knee. Rico Gathers’ future in up in the air after suffering a concussion so severe he missed the entire 2017 season. My hope is if Dallas goes TE in the 2nd round, and he’s still on the board, they draft Goedert. How can you pass on a guy named Dallas?

The hype is over! The day has come! No, I’m not retiring today - I wish! Nope, the NFL draft is here, less than 13 hours away from the 7 PM kickoff of the most anticipated event on the NFL calendar except for the Super Bowl. If you keep up with DallasCowboys.com at all you are likely familiar with their schedule of podcasts and one of those plays out from the end of the regular season until the draft. The Cowboys “Draft Show” is solely dedicated to the upcoming draft. The hosts are former NFL scout and current staff writer for DallasCowboys.com, Bryan Broaddus, staff writer David Helman and CBSSports.com’s Dane Brugler. These guys are serious draft geeks and they have a lot of things to say about what they foresee for the Cowboys, breakdowns of players in this draft and generally bust each other’s chops (in a fun way of course!). The show will continue during the next 3 days with live shows during the actual draft. The Cowboys website will also have a live video feed during the draft including a camera on the Cowboys war room. If you get sick of the ESPN or the NFL channel coverage give DallasCowboys.com’s Draft Show a listen.

Commercial is over and it’s time to talk draft. I have already posted who and what position I would like to see Dallas go in the first round. Leighton Vander Esch the linebacker from Boise State is who I hope the direction the Cowboys go there. If they choose a cornerback I hope they go either Iowa’s Joshua Jackson or Colorado’s Isaiah Oliver. In the 3rd or 4th round I am hoping they select Texas CB Holton Hill. All these guys are bigger guys, Jackson and Oliver are 6’1” and Hill is 6’3”. The Cowboys new DB’s coach is former Seahawks DB’s coach Kris Richard and he likes the bigger DB’s. He did wonders with Richard Sherman and the back end of Seattle’s Legion of Boom defense. Dallas went for youth in the defensive backfield last year drafting Chido Awuzie, Jourdan Lewis and Marquez White. These 2nd year players join 3rd year player Anthony Brown and first year player Duke Thomas as the only CB’s on the Cowboys roster. White is the biggest, or I should say tallest, CB of the bunch but at 172 lbs he’s a bit light in the ass. If Dallas gets either Jackson or Oliver they are getting players who are 6’1” but also weigh in the neighborhood of 195 lbs and they can run. In the 2nd round I gave you a possibility of considering Jason Witten’s future replacement as two guys in this draft fit the bill nicely. South Dakota State’s Dallas Goedert is my choice. He’s just got the potential to be a really good NFL tight end. If Dallas should choose Penn State’s Mike Gesicki I won’t complain.

Safety is a position of need and the 2nd round could see the Cowboys take Alabama’s Ronnie Harrison. Harrison could still be available Dallas picks. The Cowboys have been trying to replace the great Darren Woodson ever since he retired way back in 2004. That’s how good the Cowboys all-time leader in tackles was. Can Harrison finally fill those big shoes? Maybe. If Harrison isn’t available or the Cowboys go another way in the 2nd round there are a couple of guys I like in the 3rd or 4th round. Texas’ DeShon Elliott or Virginia’s Quin Blanding. They are big (6’2”, 215) and can run. Contrast these guys with Woodson who came out of Arizona State at 6’1” and 219 lbs and you see these players have the size to compare with one of the Cowboys all-time greats.

A late round pick that is very interesting is defensive tackle James Looney. He is the little brother to Dallas backup O-lineman Joe Looney. He’s a bit light for a D-tackle at 280 but scouts say he has a motor that doesn’t quit.

The Cowboys have 10 draft picks over the next 3 days. One each in the first 3 rounds, 2 picks in the 4h, one in the 5th, 3 in the 6th round and one in the 7th. I hope Dallas uses all of them. They have been pretty good drafting player since Jason Garrett became head coach except for defensive end. There have been issues there. The Cowboys signed Demarcus Lawrence to a one-year deal when they placed the franchise tag on him. The Cowboys want to make sure the great year Lawrence had in 2017 was not just a fluke. The Cowboys could get Randy Gregory back after his one year plus suspension for substance abuse. Everyone agreed when he came out of Nebraska he was a first round talent who had personal issues. That came back to bite the Cowboys straight on the behind but if Gregory comes back and fulfills the expectations that Dallas had for him all will be forgiven. One thing for sure, Dallas needs impact players in the first 3 rounds at least. No players with issues, or players like Jaylon Smith who have a ton of potential but who won’t be available to play because of rehab. No, they need guys who can play and play right now. I have no issue with Jaylon Smith, his is a great story of perseverance but Dallas could have gotten him in the 4th round instead of the oft injured DE Charles Tapper. A win-win situation there but hindsight is 20-20 and if “if’s and but’s were fruit and nuts, we’d all have a Merry Christmas. Enjoy the draft, I know I will.

Hello Cowboys fans. Here’s some disturbing news. There are rumors that 15 year veteran TE Jason Witten will retire. This news just popped up late this morning and it is definitely not confirmed. There is a meeting with owner Jerry Jones this morning but nobody can confirm the rumor of Witten’s retirement. It would certainly seem to be odd timing for his retirement give the NFL is right in the middle of the draft and it could really affect the Cowboys strategy going forward. We’ll see how this plays out but I hope the rumor is not true.

The Cowboys drew a great big thud with 4th round pick Dorance Armstrong a defensive end from Kansas. IMO this is a wasted pick considering the needs Dallas has at safety and cornerback. West Virginia's Kazir White was available but he's been picked now. I just think Dallas has a full room at D-End with DeMarcus Lawrence, Kony Ealy, Taco Charlton and Charles Tapper amoung others. This is the first disappointment for me so far in the draft.

With their 4th round compensatory pick at the end of the round Dallas drafted a TE. According to NFL Channel's Mike Mayock and the guys on the Cowboys live broadcast on the website this is a really good pick. The pick is Stanford's Dalton Schulz. He is an athletic TE who is already a good blocker and good as a receiver. He was under utilized by the Cardinal because of the their depth at the position but he has a lot of upside. The ideal situation would be for Jason Witten not to retire and stay on to lead the Cowboys and mentor a player like Schulz. That's it for a long time. Dallas won't have another pick until the end of the 5th round (34th pick in the round). Take nap because Houston has no picks in the 5th round at all. IMO the pick of Schulz slightly redeems the clunker of a pick of Dorance Armstrong earlier in the round.

The draft is over for 2018. I was listening to the Cowboys.com draft coverage and the analysts on the show seem pretty happy overall. I have some real problems with their draft and I'll talk about as I go over the final picks here on Day 3.

Round 5 (34th pick in the round and 171 overall) the Cowboys chose Western Kentucky QB Mike White. This seems to be a good pick according to the guys on DallasCowboys.com but when you are needing depth at safety, cornerback and linebacker QB seems like a stretch. CBSSports.com's Dane Brugler likes the pick. In his eyes he could be better than the Cowboys current backup Cooper Rush who earned the backup spot in training camp last year. Okay, better at QB, not a bad thing.

Round 6 - The Cowboys traded their 18th pick in the round to the Rams and got WR Tavon Austin. I was scratching my head because the Cowboys have two slot receivers already in Cole Beasley and Ryan Switzer. More on this later. With the 19th pick in the 6th Dallas took OLB Chris Covington who comes from Indiana. I don't know about this pick. In the last weeks I have been playing with the On The Clock draft simulator and during that play time I have learned about some linebackers, as well as other positions, and there were guys who I thought were better. Guys like Covington's teammate at Indiana Tegray Scales or a player named Skai Moore from South Carolina. This according to experts wasn't for linebacker depth exactly but a draft pick meant specifically for special teams. Personally, I'd rather have Scales or Moore.

Just before the Cowboys made their second pick in the sixth round the Cowboys completed a trade with the Oakland Raiders. It was a straight up trade not involving any draft picks. The Cowboys sent the aforementioned Ryan Switzer to Oakland and they got a DT, Jihad Ward. The Cowboys had Ward on their radar for the 2016 draft but he went to the Raiders after Dallas selected Jaylon Smith earlier in the round. Ward is a big guy who is very athletic but his first two seasons in the NFL have been marred by a knee injury in 2016 and foot surgery last year. It would be a big deal if he can stay healthy and make an impact in the interior of the Cowboys D-line.

The Cowboys final pick in the 6th (pick 208 overall) was another head scratcher. The Cowboys chose Boise State WR Cedrick Wilson. You get the feeling this was one time that Dallas took the best available player on their board as they continued to ignore their needs at safety and cornerback. You almost have to feel that way since they drafted Gallup in the 3rd and traded for Austin late Saturday. So, what about this kid. What are his measureables? He is 6'2" and 197 lbs so he's a big target which is good. He has average reach and large hands, maybe slightly bigger than average. He is not a burner, he ran a 4.55-40 at the NFL combine. Even with the departure of Ryan Switzer the WR room is quite crowded now with Alan Hurns and Deonte Thompson coming to Dallas via free agency to go along with the returning group of Terrence Williams, Cole Beasley, Lance Lenoir, Noah Brown and JD Cannon. Let's also add Gallup, Wilson and Tavon Austin and there isn't any place to sit in the wide receiver room. Normally, teams only keep 5, maybe 6, receivers so the competition factor just went through the roof for this position group. Still no safety or cornerbacks picked.

Round 7 (236 overall pick) the Cowboys selected a RB, Bo Scarborough, from Alabama. This is a big guy, 6'1" and 228 lbs who has longer arms and bigger hands than the Boise WR taken ahead of him even though Cedrick Wilson is an inch taller. Scarborough is a bruiser and he will be an asset as he is used to a big stage being from Alabama he was used to coming off the bench the way he will do behind Zeke Elliott. I'm not against this pick for any reason. Dallas chose not resign Alfred Morris and the only other back on the Cowboys roster is Rod Smith.

Another draft is in the books and while I understand the final grade on this draft will come much later but it looks pretty good overall. I would say a C+ or a B-.

The last observation is this. Is there any other team in the NFL who is as in love with a school as the Cowboys seem to be in love with Boise State? From Orlando Scandrick to Tyrone Crawford to DeMarcus Lawrence and now to Leighton Vander Esch and Cedrick Wilson. The Cowboys certainly seem to have an affinity for Boise players that seems so unlikely for a small school. That is just a testament to the quality of the Boise State program. It's too bad Dallas has yet to really hit big with one of these guys. Scandrick was pretty good for Dallas for 10 years and he's the closest thing to a hit Dallas has even though the jury is still out on Crawford and Lawrence. Crawford has yet to fulfill any promise the Cowboys had seen in him because he can't seem to stay healthy. He hasn't played a full season since he was drafted in the 3rd round of the 2012 draft. Lawrence had a really good season last year finally giving the Cowboys hope they had finally found their impact pass rusher. The Cowboys franchised Lawrence this spring as a test for Lawrence to prove 2017 stats were not a fluke. So, the jury is still out on Lawrence and now two more Boise players will be under the microscope. Let's hope they are up for it.

Cole Beasley is gone, it's just not official yet. Last year, Dallas turned over the DB roster by drafting the kiddie corp. This year, it looks like the WR and TE rooms are getting the makeover. I wonder how Rico Gathers is doing? Witten needs to retire to the booth and to the Ring of Honor. Edited by Dracula

The undrafted free agents signing probably began 30 seconds after Mr Irrelevant's name was called to close out the draft. In the past Dallas has been quite active in this area with La'el Collins and Ronald Leary being the highest profile signing in recent years. According to the list on NFL.com Dallas has only signed 3 players but the Dallas Morning News has the scoop on PFA signings. It should be noted that the CB and S needs were addressed these signings.

Player | Position | College | Details

Joel Lanning | LB | Iowa State | Signed as a free agent

Jake Campos | OL | Iowa State | Signed as a free agent

Marchie Murdock | WR | Iowa State | Signed as a free agent

Jordan Chunn | RB | Troy | Signed as a free agent

David Wells | TE | San Diego State | Signed as a free agent

Dalton Sturm | QB | UTSA | Signed as a free agent

Donovan Olumba | CB | Portland State | Signed as a free agent

Kameron Kelly | S | San Diego State | Signed as a free agent

Malik Earl | WR | Missouri State | Signed as a free agent

Charvarius Ward | CB | Middle Tennessee | Signed as a free agent

Kyle Queiro | S | Northwestern | Signed as a free agent

Bryce Johnson | OL | St. Cloud State | Signed as a free agent

DeQuinton Osborne | DT | Oklahoma State | Signed as a free agent

Jashon Robertson | OL | Tennessee | Signed as a free agent

Ed Shockley | LB | Villanova | Signed as a free agent

Tyree Robinson | S | Oregon | Signed as a free agent

Austin Larkin | DE | Purdue | Signed as a free agent

To Tavon or not to Tavon? That was the question on Saturday afternoon and the Cowboys answered, “Yes we will Tavon!” Dallas traded their first pick in the 6th round, the 18th pick in the round and the 192nd pick overall to the Rams for the former 1st round draft pick back in 2013. A top 8 draft pick at that. The problem was the Rams, primarily under uber meathead Jeff Fisher, never figured out how to use him. Apparently, Austin just couldn’t acclimate himself to the Rams no matter who their head coach was. So, what Dallas got for their 6th round draft pick wasn’t a middling player who you hope can contribute at the end of the draft but a veteran player who has something the Cowboys offense has lacked -- speed.

At the NFL Combine in 2013 Austin was clocked at 4.34 in the 40-yard dash. In college at West Virginia Austin was used as a receiver and running back although most of his touches were at receiver. Given the crowded room at wide receiver for the Cowboys I get the feeling from the comments by Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett that Austin will migrate between both the WR room and the running back’s room. In fact, it sounds like Austin will become the new and improved Lance Dunbar. You remember Dunbar, the guy who came in on 3rd downs for the Cowboys for several years? The scat-back who could run the ball or come out of the backfield as a receiver? The same Lance Dunbar who, along with WR Dwaine Harris gave legs to the Jet Sweep? It looks like Dallas got two players in one with Austin but Austin adds a dimension neither Dunbar or Harris had and that was the fact he is a polished route runner who can line up wide and scare defenses because of that speed. The type of speed that can take a slant to the house. The type of speed that can carry him past cornerbacks and safeties to beat you deep. Dallas now has two speedy receivers in Austin and Devonte Thompson who Dallas picked up this offseason in free agency. Now Dallas has a receiver in Austin who ran a 4.34 at the combine and a receiver in Thompson who ran a 4.31 the year before Austin. Neither player has a lot of miles on them as they never have been used much in their time in the NFL. In Austin’s case was it because his team didn’t know how to utilize him or maybe Austin isn’t that great after all. The same questions apply to Thompson. Questions Dallas hopes to answer in the positive.

Attached below is an article from DallasCowboys.com’s senior writer Mickey Spagnola who talks about the roster shakeup that took place this offseason and the moves Dallas made during the draft.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2018/04/28/spagnola-cowboys-intentionally-shaking-rattling-and-rolling-roster

• 2 weeks later...

So, the Cowboys rookie mini camp begins tomorrow and it finishes up Saturday. It will be an opportunity for the recent draft class and UFA’s and selected 2nd year players to get together in what amounts to a 2-day, 2-a-day meet and greet. Jason Garrett changed things up a couple of years ago shying away from full blown practices after seeing rookies get hurt in their first real football action since the end of the college football season up 5 months prior to mini camp. Garrett has opted for an intro to the Cowboys playbook and an orientation of sorts to pro football. He prefers the rookies work out and get into shape before football activities begin.

Remember Randy Gregory? The 1st round caliber pass rushing talent that Dallas took in the 2nd round of the 2015 draft? The same RG who failed a drug test AT the NFL scouting combine and who has failed three subsequent drug tests that has garnered him an indefinite suspension by the NFL? Yeah, you remember and so do I. It seems that RG has really worked hard to overcome his addiction to weed and he and his lawyers are preparing to request reinstatement to the league. I hope he makes it because he’s not doing hard drugs or using PED’s, the guy just smokes pot. The NFL is the only major sport that cracks down so hard on marijuana. The NFL is a generation behind the other major sports on the subject of pot use. That’s an argument for another day.

What could be is Dallas may actually have built a real pass rush even without Gregory. Adding a talent like Gregory could be the cherry on top. Dallas rush could rival the NY Giants heyday when they had Michael Strahan, Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora and Mathias Kiwanuka. It’s exciting to think that the Cowboys defense may have caught up to the offense at long last. It has only taken 25 years to do it. I am really excited to see what this defense, this predominantly young defense will be able to do. It’s a good thing we have the Rockets and Astros to keep us occupied or I might just go crazy waiting for football to crank back up!

As a follow up to a post I made earlier this week, the Cowboys got some bad news for their defensive line late this week. DT Maliek Collins will miss most if not all the OTA's and training camp because he broke his pinky toe on his left foot while working out at The Star in Frisco. Collins had surgery this past January after having issues with the same foot that caused him problems all last season. Collins was drafted in 2016 in the same draft class as Dak Prescott but his development has been hampered by nagging injuries. Former Cowboys DT Terrell McClain has made a visit to Cowboys headquarters this past week for a visit. McClain left Dallas a couple of years ago in free agency and he became a free agent this offseason. No word yet if McClain will sign or is expected to sign with Dallas.

Leighton Vander Esch has already signed his rookie contract. The only rookie draft pick not to be signed is 3rd round pick from Colorado State Michael Gallup (I love that name for a WR!). 3rd round picks have unique language in their contracts that makes signing them harder than the rest of the picks. This is true all around the NFL with 3rd round picks generally being the last to sign their deals. With the rookie salary cap and graduated wage scales in place for each round of draft picks you just don't see rookie holdouts any more. Joey Bosa was the exception to the rule when he held out on San Diego two years ago but he was finally signed just before the start of the season and all was well that ended well.

Over the years I have followed DallasCowboys.com there seems to be a guy who is the dark horse guy you root for to make the team because of his backstory. A guy who has overcome the odds for whatever reason to realize his dream of getting his shot to be in the NFL in general and the Cowboys in particular. This year that guy is Iowa LB Joel Lannings. Senior writer for DallasCowboys.com Mickey Spagnola talks about Lannings and why we should be rooting for him to make the final 53 in his article linked below.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2018/05/11/spagnola-will-you-know-no-43%E2%80%99s-name-time-season-begins

We should keep an eye on new Cowboys assistant coach Kris Richard

DC Rod Marinelli said this week the most important addition to the Cowboys this offseason was new DB’s coach and Passing Game Coordinator Kris Richard. (You pronounce his name ree-SHARD like any good Cajun would. Even though Richard was born and raised in California there is bound to be someone in his family tree from SE Texas or Louisiana.) You probably know of Richard because he was an assistant under Pete Carroll at USC and he followed Carroll to Seattle when he took the head coaching job there. He was the coaching the DB’s when they built The Legion of Boom defensive backfield in Seattle. He’s got street cred and he is a good communicator and Dallas is lucky to land him. He has a penchant for big CB’s who play press-man coverage, the same coverage that was played in Seattle is played in Dallas, and the traits that made Richard Sherman and others successful in Seattle. I think it’s significant to note that the in the past Dallas has drafted and signed smaller DB’s (under 5’11”). Last year Dallas selected Chidobe Awuzie and Jourdan Lewis both of whom fit that smaller CB description. The Cowboys have decided this offseason to move former 1st round Byron Jones from safety to CB and you have to believe this was a move influenced by Richard. Richard scouted Jones for the 2015 draft as a corner. He liked Jones’ size (6’0”, 205 lbs) and his athleticism and speed. Jones could really flourish under Richard’s coaching. While Dallas didn’t draft any CB’s or safeties they did sign several as UFA’s and check out this list of players and notice there isn’t a small man in the bunch.

Kameron Kelly - S - San Diego State - 6’2’’ 204 lbs

Donovan Olumba - CB - Portland State - 6’2’’ 192 lbs

Charvarius Ward - CB Middle Tennessee State - 6’1’’ 198

Kyle Queiro - S/CB - Northwestern - 6’2’’ 215 lbs

Tyree Robinson - FS - Oregon - 6’3’’ 199 lbs

Nick Eatman of DallasCowboys.com wrote about the move of Jones to CB in an article posted this week. In it he compared Jones move from safety to CB to the move of OT Flozell Adams from guard to left tackle and the subsequent raise he got from then new head coach Bill Parcels. It sounds a little far-fetched but give the article a look and see if you don’t agree with Eatman about the potential of this comparison.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2018/05/15/eatman-stay-me-here-could-bryon-jones-be-next-flozell-adams

Also, check out this article from the Cowboys website as Bryan Broaddus talks about the new coaching techniques being employed by the new additions to the coaching staff as he observed them in this past weekend’s rookie mini camp.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2018/05/12/scout%E2%80%99s-eye-new-coaching-techniques-display-during-saturday%E2%80%99s-walkthroughs

If you follow the Cowboys you probably have heard one of the most annoying phrases ever uttered around the team, “Dak friendly.” It doesn’t mean a confounded thing outside of what you could say about every offense and it’s starting QB in the NFL. Shoot, every offense at any level. It just means one simple thing, get players who can complement the QB’s skill set so that he can maximize his value to the offense. A simpler explanation is this, put together an offensive line that protects their QB so he has time to pass, even when he has to go through his progressions to find an open receiver, and open holes so the running game is successful. Get a running back that is scary whether he is running the ball or coming out of the backfield as a receiver. Get a tight end who can block when called upon and come up big as a receiver especially in the clutch. A true quarterback’s best friend. At least 3 wide receivers who can run good routes and stretch the field because of their speed and ability to catch the ball. In other words, a well-rounded, balanced offense that can burn you in the run game or passing game and that can score from anywhere on the field.

The whole notion of a QB friendly offense came up a couple of years into Tony Romo’s tenure as the Cowboys signal caller. Romo was good, really good, but he was raw coming from a tiny corn belt college in the Midwest. He needed to be developed and it’s a good thing that in those first years Romo had Bill Parcells and Sean Payton in his corner. (I wonder if you remember that Payton was the Assistant Head Coach and QB’s Coach from 2003 to 2005? Payton was the reason Romo came to Dallas because Payton’s alma mater was Eastern Illinois, Tony Romo’s school, and he encouraged the Cowboys to sign Romo as a UFA in 2003.) Romo managed to hang on the Cowboys roster through 2005 and he finally earned the Cowboys starting QB job in 2006 coming in after halftime in relief of an ineffective Drew Bledsoe in a Week 7 game against the New York Giants. Romo never looked back until his retirement after the 2016 season. In 2008 the relationship between Romo and WR Terrell Owens had deteriorated as Owens divided the Cowboys locker room amid claims that Romo wasn’t getting him the ball enough. Owens was released in March of 2009 primarily because the Cowboys were trying to make the Cowboys offense more “Romo friendly” meaning they were cutting ties with a huge pain in the ass just the same way Steve Mariuchi did in San Francisco and Andy Reid did in Philadelphia but nobody called the move Jeff Garcia friendly or Donovan McNabb friendly they just wanted Owens gone. That phrase “Romo friendly” came right out of good old Jerry Jones mouth and now the media is using the same phrase for Dak Prescott but under a whole different context that had nothing to do with any malcontent in the Cowboys locker room.

In the article linked below the Cowboys website senior writer Mickey Spagnola, in his weekly Mick’s Shots article, talks about Dak Friendly and offers some pretty interesting stats Prescott has put up in his first two seasons in the NFL.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2018/05/16/mick-shots-no-sense-saving-best-shot-last-so-much-going

It's always something with the Cowboys. Friday night/Saturday morning Terrence Williams was arrested for public intoxication after he wrecked his Lamborghini and was caught riding a motorized bicycle in the neighborhood near his home.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2018/05/19/cowboys-officials-still-gathering-info-following-terrance-williams%E2%80%99-arrest

Williams made a statement concerning his arrest. In short, he seems to be innocent of the charges and the particulars of the accident as it was first reported were apparently erroneous.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2018/05/19/statement-wr-terrance-williams-regarding-his-arrest-early-saturday

The first of 3 voluntary OTA's begins this week. The whole team, veterans and rookies will be on the practice field together for the first time as the Cowboys prepare for the upcoming season. Nick Eatman of DallasCowboys.com gives his list of 10 players we aren't talking much about but could be the talk of the summer going forward.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2018/05/18/lost-shuffle-these-10-players-shouldn%E2%80%99t-be-overlooked-2018

The first of 3 sessions of OTA's was completed this week. It was the first time the Cowboys entire team has been on the field together since the NFL draft was completed in April.

The most of the talk during this week's practices wasn't about a player, it was about new DB's / Passing Game Coordinator Kris Richard. I posted about him as he worked with the rookies in their mini camp. He impressed then and he continues to impress as the Cowboys ramp up to September's opening to the 2018 season.

The biggest beneficiary of Kris Richard's coaching could be Byron Jones. Richard loves the guy. Richard scouted Jones while he was at UConn and likely would have made a case for drafting him had Dallas not beat him to the punch. Jones has officially been moved from safety to cornerback and Jones worked with the 1's in OTA's this week. It's looking like this Richard-Jones pairing is a match made in Cowboys heaven but it's still too early to get too jacked up about it here in late May.

There is some talk on the offense too. WR's Alan Hurns and 3rd round draft pick Michael Gallup are getting kudos for their work so far. I may be replacing Dez Bryant won't be so difficult after all. Again, it's May and waaaaay too early to feel confident about much of anything.

There is not 100% participation at this first OTA session. All Pro guard Zack Martin is not participating. He is being held out of practices by his agent who is in the middle of negotiations for a long term contract for Martin. 2018 is the final year of his rookie contract and Martin would love to get his long term deal wrapped up now. I'm sure you all can list the reasons Martin would want to get his 2nd, and likely his biggest, contract of his career done.

Week 2 of OTA's begins on Tuesday and runs through Thursday.

The Cowboys have a huge hole to fill at tight end. We all know that. After all, a likely first ballot Hall of Fame player leaves a pretty big void when he retires. Of course I am talking about Jason Witten but, like his buddy Tony Romo, we'll get to see Witten every Monday Night as he will be the color man on the ESPN broadcasts. That doesn't help the Cowboys who have exactly one player who has made a real, honest to gosh catch in the NFL. That would be Geoff Swaim. He and his 6 NFL receptions is the leading candidate to fill Jason Witten's humongous shoes. There are players in the TE room to challenge Mr Swaim, he of the University of Texas drafted by Dallas in the 7th round of the 2015 draft. There is 2017 6th round pick Rico Gathers who played basketball at Baylor. Gathers hadn't played organized football since before puberty, literally, but he was coming along before he was concussed in training camp and he never played a down in a regular season game in his rookie season. Then there's Blake Jarwin, a UFA from 2017 and he has played 4 downs in a regular season NFL game. He spent most of last season on the Cowboys practice squad until he was promoted to the active roster in late October to protect him from being claimed by Philadelphia. Yet another UFA is on the Cowboys roster and that would be San Diego State alum David Wells who Dallas signed after this year's draft. So Dallas has a 7th and a 6th round draft pick and 2 UFA's but that isn't the bottom of the list. In this year's draft Dallas took Stanford TE Dalton Schultz in the 4th round. If you believe Bryan Broaddus of DallasCowboys.com, who is also a former NFL scout, "There is something to this Schultz kid." He is a player in the mold of a Jason Witten in that he's an all around TE who is effective as a blocker and a receiver. He was All Pac 12 First Team last season and honorable mention All Pac 12 in his sophomore season. Like Jason Witten he declared for the NFL draft after his junior year. According to Broaddus he could very well be the starter for the Cowboys on opening day this September. Geoff Swaim is the most experienced NFL TE and at 27 he's the old man of the group. Gathers is 24, Jarwin is 23, Wells just turned 23 on May 5th and Dalton Schultz is 21 but he will turn 22 in July. Dallas has, over the last 3 years gotten much younger as roster and the position group of TE may be the youngest on the team. That's the NFL though. You can't be sentimental about players even though you would love to keep them forever. Goodbye Jason Witten. Thank you for all you have done for our Cowboys. Hello Dalton Schultz or whoever wins the job as starting TE. We all hope you are up to the challenge of replacing a legend.

Linked below is the weekly column by DallasCowboys.com senior writer Mickey Spagnola. This week he talks about the changing faces in the Cowboys receiving corps. The WR group is pretty young but not nearly as young as the TE group but except for Cole Beasley and Terrence Williams all the faces are new to a Cowboys practice. Williams may be there in spirit but he is rehabbing from foot surgery and, to be honest, he could lose his job to one of these newbees who were on the practice field this past week at the Cowboys first sessions OTA's. Mr Spagnola sure gives you some perspective about what challenges Dallas will be facing as they try to replace two Cowboys icons in Witten and Dez Bryant. A long time ago in the early 1970's the Miami Dolphins won back to back Super Bowls with a defense call the No-Name Defense. That's a darn good description of the Cowboys WR's and TE's right now. If the Cowboys are to have success going forward these "No-Name" receivers will have to step up -- big time.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2018/05/25/spagnola-trying-catch-these-names-one-number-time

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone wants to grade a draft class 30 seconds after the draft is over. Conventional wisdom is that you have to wait at least 3 years to accurately grade a team’s draft. Some say 5 years. The Cowboys have had some productive drafts since Jason Garrett became coach. This coincides with the arrival of Senior Director of Player Personnel Will McClay. McClay is known as a personnel guru around NFL circles. He is so highly thought of that in 2016 McClay declined an interview for the vacant GM position in Detroit. In 2017 McClay was contacted by several teams with GM vacancies but he declined all interviews. Earlier this year McClay was offered the Texans GM job after Rick Smith decided to take a leave of absence of indeterminate time to be with his wife who was recently diagnosed with cancer. McClay again declined.

First, why would he decline such job offers? I believe it’s because he likes it in Dallas. Except for the actual title of GM, which will never be held by anyone not named Jones, he is the defacto GM in that he runs the player personnel department but he doesn’t have to worry about the business side of being a GM and that freedom is pretty tempting for those who don’t like the spotlight. The unique thing about McClay is his ability to communicate with scouts, coaches, his own staff and ownership and help get and keep them on the same page. That ability to unify an organization in their thinking about player acquisition and his ability to unearth talent is becoming almost legendary in NFL circles. Also, the Cowboys salary cap doesn’t apply to staff and McClay is very well paid for his work.

Jason Garrett became the 8th head coach in Cowboys history in 2011. Between 2011 and 2013 under Garrett the Cowboys added such players as Tyron Smith, Bruce Carter, DeMarco Murray, Tyrone Crawford, Travis Fredrick and Terrance Williams. The Cowboys were actually happy with their 2013 draft, as they should have been, but the conflict over whether or not to take DT Sharif Floyd was the last straw. The division over whether or not to actually draft a guy who was the 5th ranked player on their draft board was too much to bear. The Cowboys actually traded back out of the first round then back into the first round to get Travis Fredrick all the while passing on Floyd. By taking Fredrick the Cowboys were ripped by the media who said the Cowboys were reaching and could have gotten Fredrick in the 2nd or even the 3rd round. That disconnect between all parties led to a reorganization of the Cowboys player personnel department including promoting McClay to lead the whole bunch. So, over the next few days I will look at the Cowboys draft classes beginning with McClay’s first draft in 2014.

2014 draft class

1. Zach Martin - Great pick. A perennial All Pro/Pro Bowl player. Thank McClay and Stephen Jones for talking Jerry out of drafting Johnny Manziel.

2. Demarcus Lawrence - Injury plagued first couple of seasons and a suspension for PEDs in 2016 but last year was the Cowboys leader in sacks. Dallas franchised him this season.

3. Anthony Hitchens - Productive player for his 4 years in Dallas. Signed as a free agent by Kansas City this offseason.

4. Devin Street - Big WR from Pittsburgh who Dallas drafted in the 5th round. No longer in the NFL.

5. Ben Gardner - DL spent 2 years with Dallas before being released. No longer in the NFL.

6. Will Smith - LB who never really made it with Dallas, now playing Canadian Football.

7. Ahmad Dixon - Nice player, who had issues as a person. Dallas released him after missing team meetings. Playing Canadian football for Edmonton since 2017

8. Ken Bishop - DE that played for Dallas until midway through 2015. Been playing in the CFL with the Toronto Argonauts since 2016.

9. Terrence Mitchell - Was released in 2014 as a final cut in training camp. Went from the Cowboys to the Bears back to the Cowboys and on to the Texans and finally he stuck with Kansas City where he did develop into a solid DB Signed a free agent deal with Cleveland this offseason.

Martin, Lawrence and Hitchens make this a pretty good draft class. Dallas had no 3rd round or 6th round picks and they had 5-7th rounders beginning with Gardner pick. This draft class would have been excellent if Ahmad Dixon had not blown his opportunity and if Terrence Mitchell had worked out for Dallas but not a bad first draft for McClay all things considered. 3 guys in the NFL have success and a 4th is still in the NFL. 3 other players are in the CFL while 2 are out of football. I would have to say this is a B+ draft.

Continuing the Will McClay drafts. Last time we looked at the 2014 draft we saw the Cowboys got a perennial All Pro/Pro Bowl player in Zach Martin. A Pro Bowl player who led Dallas in sacks with 14 last season in Demarcus Lawrence and quality LB who got a nice deal in free agency in Anthony Hitchens. Today we check out the 2015 draft. Dallas had 8 picks in the draft in 2015, one in each of the first 5 rounds and 3-7th round picks.

1. Byron Jones - A tremendously athletic player from UConn. He has speed, athleticism and brains. He played 4 games at CB in his rookie year but he was used primarily as a safety where he has played the past 3 seasons. This season he is being moved back to CB because of new DB's coach Kris Richard, formerly of the Seattle Seahawks. Richard built the "Legion of Boom" secondary in Seattle and his love for big CB's is well known. This move could turn into a career changer for Jones who has to be excited as heck to be coached by Richard. DC Rob Marinelli called Richard the best offseason acquisition made by the Cowboys this offseason, either coach or player. High praise indeed.

2. Randy Gregory - A guy who had first round talent but incredibly bad judgement off the field. His problems began when he tested positive for marijuana at the NFL Scouting Combine. He wasn't just considered 1st round talent but a top 10 player. He was suspended indefinitely for testing positive while serving a second suspension and he has been trying to get his life together over the past year. In May he applied for reinstatement into the NFL and, as you might expect, the NFL is dragging their knuckles making a decision. If they don't make up their mind by the time training camp begins they will be doing Gregory a tremendous disservice.

3. Chaz Green - Offensive lineman, primarily a tackle that has had an up and down 3 years. A highly thought of tackle out of Florida he dropped in the draft because he had issues of durability. This followed him to the NFL as he missed the entire season with a hip injury suffered in training camp. He started and did well for an injured Tyron Smith in 2016 two games but a foot injury followed by a back injury caused him to miss 12 games. In 2017 he was moved to guard when Ronald Leary left for Denver in free agency and La'el Collins was moved to right tackle. He was actually used at guard and tackle which did him no good at all. He was terrible at mid-season in relief of Tyron Smith and the Cowboys suffered as a result. He is still on the roster but he is likely going to be used at tackle because of free agent signings this offseason.

4. Damien Wilson - Another Big 10 LB in the mold of Anthony Hitchens. Wilson has some position flex but he has been used primarily at the SAM. This is a contract year for Wilson who saw Dallas draft a 1st round caliber LB in Leighton Vander Esch and the emergence of Jaylon Smith.

5. Ryan Russell - DE from Purdue is a disappointment by any standard. In Dallas he never played up to his athletic ability. He remained on the Cowboys practice squad in 2015 but he was released on September 3rd of 2016. He is currently on the Tampa Bay roster.

7a. Mark Nzeocha - LB from Wyoming who could not stay healthy. He missed pretty much all of 2015 and 2016. He was on the Cowboys practice squad when he was claimed by the San Francisco 49ers on September 25.

7b. Lawrence Gibson - OT from Virginia Tech whose measurables and good performance at the Scouting Combine caused Dallas to draft him. He didn't make the final 53 and he was cut on the final cutdown day. The Cowboys wanted to sign him to their practice squad but he opted to sign with Kansas City instead. He didn't catch on in KC and was released. Over the past 2 seasons he had bounced from one practice squad to another. He had stints with Atlanta, Chicago, the Giants, the Browns, the Texans and back with the Giants who released him on May 11th of this year. He currently not on anyone's roster.

7c. Geoff Swaim - TE from Texas. He has had limited use in his first 3 seasons mainly because of Jason Witten. Witten is gone now and Swaim is the top TE on the roster with any NFL game experience and he's the top candidate going into the training camp this year but the Cowboys 4th round draft pick Dalton Schulz from Stanford is going to give Swaim a run for his money.

That's it. So many of the players from this draft the jury is still out on. Jones, Gregory, Green, Wilson and Swaim could be major contributors but they still need time to show what their value can finally be. Jones, Wilson, Green and Swaim are still on the Cowboys roster while Gregory is waiting on the NFL's decision. All of the draft picks in this class are all still on NFL rosters except for Gibson. That in, and of, itself makes this a decent draft. There are no clear cut stars -- yet. There is still a chance for that but as it stands right now I would have to give this draft a C+/B-.

Just when you think that you are out, they drag you back in. The Cowboy offense is loaded, the defense is promising, and then there is Jason Garrett to screw it up. Witten it's about time is gone, Bryant all talk and no production is gone, but Garrett is still there. The last great coach was Jimmy and you knew, that any time the Cowboys took the field, they were fired up and ready to go.Now we have "ol mister process hand clapper, who couldn't light a fire with gasoline and a match, Garrett. They may win in spite of him but this is his last chance. Tom Herman is right down the road.

Just when you think that you are out, they drag you back in. The Cowboy offense is loaded, the defense is promising, and then there is Jason Garrett to screw it up. Witten it's about time is gone, Bryant all talk and no production is gone, but Garrett is still there. The last great coach was Jimmy and you knew, that any time the Cowboys took the field, they were fired up and ready to go.Now we have "ol mister process hand clapper, who couldn't light a fire with gasoline and a match, Garrett. They may win in spite of him but this is his last chance. Tom Herman is right down the road.

Last great coach was Jimmy Johnson? A lot of people might point out Bill Parcells was the last great coach.

This is the next installment of the Will McClay-led drafts by the Cowboys. In previous posts I have listed the 2014 and 2015 drafts. Today is the 2016 draft. It could be this is the greatest draft ever. Of course the jury is still out on all these players but 2 years removed every single player in this draft is still on the Cowboys roster. Dallas had nine picks in the draft in 2016. They had no 5th or 7th round picks but they had one pick in each of the first 3 rounds, 2-4th round picks and four sixth round picks. Here are the picks in the order in which they were chosen.

1. Ezekiel Elliott - Dallas had a dismal 2015 because the had a bad defense and Tony Romo missed most of the season because of, not one but, 2 broken collarbones. Hence, Dallas had the 4th pick in the draft and all their primary picks were early in each round. Dallas could have taken DE Joey Bosa but they passed on him to take Elliott. All Elliott did was win the NFL rushing title and lead the Cowboys to the playoffs AND win NFL Rookie of the Year. He is the most dynamic RB since Emmitt Smith. After a sophomore season marred by the cloud of a bogus suspension, not to mention a bogus suspension that was levied by the NFL league office basically because he had the misfortune of being accused of domestic violence. With all that in the rearview mirror Smith should have a great bounce back season in 2018.

2. Jaylon Smith - Top 5 talent who would have been a top 5 draft pick had he not torn every ligament in his knee in his final game with Notre Dame, the Fiesta Bowl, against Ohio State. Ironically enough Elliott played for OSU and was the only Buckeye to check on Smith on the field when he was injured. His rookie year was spent rehabbing the knee and the damaged nerve in his lower leg. He made his debut last season in limited snaps. Limited that is until Sean Lee was injured and he had to play more snaps than he really should have. Still he had a decent season despite the fact he had to wear a brace on his foot because of the "drop foot" condition caused by the damage to his nerve. This spring he had practiced without the brace and observers are seeing the quickness and burst he showed at Notre Dame. This could be a huge breakout season for Smith which will justify the Cowboys taking a chance on a player some said would never even play again.

3. Malik Collins - DT that, when on the field has been a good player. Trouble is Collins has had awful luck with his feet. In the previous 2 seasons he has been slowed by foot injuries. He has broken the his pinky toe on both feet and early this offseason he had surgery on his pinky toe on his right foot. He broke the same toe again during phase 1 of the offseason program. If he could just put those pesky foot troubles in the rearview mirror he has shown he can play, and play well.

4. Charles Tapper - Oklahoma DE who was the fastest DL at the Scouting Combine. Showed real potential until a pre-existing back problem he didn't know about flared up. He went on injured reserve in late September missing his rookie season. In 2017 he broke his foot after just 2 starts and he was put on IR on October 5, 2017. Tapper had played just 2 games in his first two years in the NFL. There were high hopes for Tapper heading into OTA's until he missed most of the voluntary workouts because of a concussion he suffered in Week 1 of OTA's. Given his history coupled with the drafting of DE Dorance Armstrong this could be Tapper's last chance to play for the Cowboys.

4a. Dak Prescott - Because of injuries to Tony Romo in preseason and Kellen Moore in training camp Prescott was thrown into the starting job. Prescott lost his first start against the Giants in Week 1 of the season but he then led the Cowboys on a 9 game winning streak to lock up the NFC East by Thanksgiving. Romo, who had a broken vertebrae suffered in Seattle during the 3rd preseason game, was cleared to come back in Week 10 but Jason Garrett opted to stick with Prescott rather than give Romo his job back as he should have (in my opinion). From business standpoint this was a bad move for Dallas as the Cowboys were stuck with about $20 MM in dead money after Romo retired after the season. Romo will count $8.9 MM against the cap this season but it is his last on the books for Dallas. That said, Prescott is now the franchise QB for Dallas and he made the Pro Bowl as a rookie leading the team to a 13-3 record. In 2017 he suffered through a season in which Zeke Elliott was suspended, Sean Lee missed 6 games due to injury and Tyron Smith missed time with a back and a groin injury. Dallas has shored up shortcomings in the O-line this offseason and Elliott should be back to rookie form. A lot is expected of Prescott this season.

6. Anthony Brown - Cornerback who stepped in because of injuries and did a very good job for the Cowboys as a rookie. He took a bit of a step back in 2017 but he should rebound nicely under the coaching of Kris Richard. Brown may not be a starter but he will see a lot of playing time anyway as an important member of the nickel and dime packages.

6a. Kavon Frazier - Safety who has had his ups and downs in his first 2 seasons. A bigger DB which is what Kris Richard likes. He will get a chance to lock down a starting position with the move of Byron Jones to CB. This is Frazier's big opportunity and the Cowboys seem pretty confident he is up to the challenge.

6b. Darius Jackson - Jackson is a running back in the mold of Lance Dunbar. A valuable 3rd down back who can run and be effective in the passing game. He was released mid-season to make room for a player coming off suspension in hopes of signing him to the practice squad. He never cleared waivers as Cleveland picked him up. He ended up missing all of the 2017 season due to injury and the Browns released him on May 3 of this year. The Cowboys always regretted losing Jackson and he took advantage of the opportunity to resign him on May 30.

6c. Rico Gathers - Gathers was a forward for the Baylor Bears during his college years. In fact he didn't play organized football at all after he was 12 years old. Dallas traded up to draft Gathers simply on his athletic ability and the fact a lot of successful NFL tight ends were basketball players like Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez. Gathers showed a lot of promise but obviously he needed a lot of reps to get up to speed as a football player. He spent the entire 2016 season on the practice squad. In 2017 he looked like the year he spent learning the NFL game was going to pay dividends. Also, Gathers got to work extensively with Tony Romo who was relegated to being Prescott's backup and he helped Gathers immensely. In his first two preseason games in 2017 he caught TD passes and really looked like the Cowboys gamble was going to pay off. During practice Gathers had a collision with Orlando Scandrick that gave him a severe concussion. As a result Gathers missed the first 8 games of the season as he was put on IR. It was the IR that allows a player to return to play after 8 weeks. However, Gathers was shutdown for the season because it was discovered he also suffered a jaw and neck injury in the original collision in training camp. Gathers has been participating in all the offseason work so far and he is solidly in the mix in the competition at TE with Geoff Swaim, Dalton Schultz and others hoping to win the starting TE spot vacated by the retirement of Jason Witten.

OMG that was long. I'm sorry about that but this draft class has such a high ceiling that you can't deny the need to talk about the class as a whole. With Elliott and Prescott this is an A class and given the fact so many in this class still have the ability to be major contributors and the rarity of all 9 players still on the roster two years after their draft, this has to qualify as an A++ class that could be even better than that in a couple of years.