Mens Basketball Year End Thoughts

geezer

This years’ basketball season is over unless the Cards get an invite to a lower level post season tourney, so the questions to be asked; Is it time for a new coach? What does next year look like? Tic Price has done a good job of bringing the program out of the trash can but with a senior heavy team was unable to break into the top third of the conference standings. While two nineteen win seasons look good we must remember that three or more of those wins each year have come against lower division schools. Are the players on the bench ready to come in and maintain or raise the bar another notch. I’m not sure. There are four transfer players listed on the roster that have D-1 experience but how good are they? All come from schools that Lamar would want to be at least equals with so should we expect any to raise the quality of play? All four transfer players are listed as guards and by size are similar to what are lost to graduation. What about the returning players? Looks like there are three or four open scholarships left for next year assuming everyone listed on the roster returns. Looked back but didn’t find any threads on early signings. Might have missed them though.

Atwood: Has looked good at times but to me appears to try to force the game on offense rather than working within the system and letting the game come to him. Like all the Cards needs to improve at thef ree throw line.

Foster: Foster has improved over the course of the year. Had a period of time mid-season where he didn’t play much as Sullivan was getting the bulk of the reserve rotation playing time when Nzeakor would get in foul trouble. Probably needs to improve outside shot, improve defensive foot work, quit going for the ball fake.

Sullivan: Similar to Foster but why did he loose the playing time at the end of the season in lieu of Foster.

Garth: Has to learn to play within the system. Like Atwood tends to force to much offense instead of working within the system. As good as a three point shooter as he is, he must improve his percentage with a defender in his face. Not sure if his defensive intensity is where it will need to be.

Nzeakor: I believe he is the one starter that really seemed to improve over the course ofthe year. Needs to get stronger and be able to get the score while taking a hit from the defender on offense. Needs to continue his attitude toward rebounding. Seemed to really improve his free throw shooting during the season. Needs to develop a face up shot from mid range and work on his ball handling. Needs to recognize the double team and kick the ball out to an open guard or find the other post player on the weekside. He did this some but still room to improve. Nzeakor can be a first team all-conference player.

Broussard: Walkon, will take whatever he brings.

With no AD in place who if anyone will evaluate the “Stateof the Program”? I doubt that therewould be a change unless Price decides to move on to a perceived better programwith more future upside. That isprobably unlikely at Tic’s age, so I don’t expect a coaching change. Writing this post to see what others think.

Edited by geezer

This years’ basketball season is over unless the Cards get an invite to a lower level post season tourney, so the questions to be asked; Is it time for a new coach? What does next year look like? Tic Price has done a good job of bringing the program out of the trash can but with a senior heavy team was unable to break into the top third of the conference standings. While two nineteen win seasons look good we must remember that three or more of those wins each year have come against lower division schools. Are the players on the bench ready to come in and maintain or raise the bar another notch. I’m not sure. There are four transfer players listed on the roster that have D-1 experience but how good are they? All come from schools that Lamar would want to be at least equals with so should we expect any to raise the quality of play? All four transfer players are listed as guards and by size are similar to what are lost to graduation. What about the returning players? Looks like there are three or four open scholarships left for next year assuming everyone listed on the roster returns. Looked back but didn’t find any threads on early signings. Might have missed them though.

Atwood: Has looked good at times but to me appears to try to force the game on offense rather than working within the system and letting the game come to him. Like all the Cards needs to improve at thef ree throw line.

Foster: Foster has improved over the course of the year. Had a period of time mid-season where he didn’t play much as Sullivan was getting the bulk of the reserve rotation playing time when Nzeakor would get in foul trouble. Probably needs to improve outside shot, improve defensive foot work, quit going for the ball fake.

Sullivan: Similar to Foster but why did he loose the playing time at the end of the season in lieu of Foster.

Garth: Has to learn to play within the system. Like Atwood tends to force to much offense instead of working within the system. As good as a three point shooter as he is, he must improve his percentage with a defender in his face. Not sure if his defensive intensity is where it will need to be.

Nzeakor: I believe he is the one starter that really seemed to improve over the course ofthe year. Needs to get stronger and be able to get the score while taking a hit from the defender on offense. Needs to continue his attitude toward rebounding. Seemed to really improve his free throw shooting during the season. Needs to develop a face up shot from mid range and work on his ball handling. Needs to recognize the double team and kick the ball out to an open guard or find the other post player on the weekside. He did this some but still room to improve. Nzeakor can be a first team all-conference player.

With no AD in place who if anyone will evaluate the “Stateof the Program”? I doubt that therewould be a change unless Price decides to move on to a perceived better programwith more future upside. That isprobably unlikely at Tic’s age, so I don’t expect a coaching change. Writing this post to see what others think.

Agree with most of your comments. All in all this was a pretty disappointing year given the expectations. I think Nzeakor can be first team all conference next year. Other than him, I don't see much reason for optimism unless we sign a couple of VERY good recruits. I think Garth his reached his potential and I don't see any other players with much upside.

considering what football, baseball, volleyball, softball, golf, etc are doing, Price oughta ask for a raise!

Thank God for womens bball.......and cross country

See if this works. http://www.lamarcardinals.com/news/2017/11/8/mens-basketball-lu-hoops-adds-three-to-roster.aspx

As always it sounds promising until pus comes to shove!!!!

This does sound promising. We definitely need someone who can play the point, and if he can score too that is great. And we definitely need someone to replace Weisbrod. The Barrett kids sounds perfect if he is tough like Price says he is. I think Price has done a very good job. I wasn't really on board with hiring him but given where we were and where our basketball program has been for a long time (with the exception of one fluke year), he should be getting a raise and an extension.

In my assessment, a very disappointing season based on preseason projections, but I thought the predictions were way off. But Price has no excuses he can lean on. No one really left the team and only injuries was Frenchwood be slowed for a few games. To me the only "known" players returning are Garth and Nzeakor. Garth is a very questionable defensive player based on his size. Wouldn't be surprised if Sullivan or Foster leave the program. We will probably finish in the bottom third of the conference next year (missing the tournament) and attendance at women's games may exceed the men. But we will accept that as Lamar fans as a "rebuilding year", because we don't expect to win in any major sports.

As far as coaching, we are in the bottom third of the conference, since recruiting is the heart and soul of college athletics. We had the most experienced team in conference and did not improve from last year. The comment that "if Price doesn't take another job" is a joke, right. No one is going to hire that guy - no one!!! Why would they? But, we are getting what we are paying for. Our talent level is comparable to Tic's teams at McNeese, which wasn't very good. I really expect next year to be Price's last year if we hire an AD that holds coaches accountable to the product they produce. To have other schools getting the talent we don't, based on the facilities, is unacceptable. SELa is playing in a facility equivalent to a high school and HBU is Jr. High.

I have been a season ticket holder since we played in McDonald Gym, and have never had the sense that it is not going to get better than I do now.

To put it mildly, I am not optimistic about men's basketball for the future

In my assessment, a very disappointing season based on preseason projections, but I thought the predictions were way off. But Price has no excuses he can lean on. No one really left the team and only injuries was Frenchwood be slowed for a few games. To me the only "known" players returning are Garth and Nzeakor. Garth is a very questionable defensive player based on his size. Wouldn't be surprised if Sullivan or Foster leave the program. We will probably finish in the bottom third of the conference next year (missing the tournament) and attendance at women's games may exceed the men. But we will accept that as Lamar fans as a "rebuilding year", because we don't expect to win in any major sports.

As far as coaching, we are in the bottom third of the conference, since recruiting is the heart and soul of college athletics. We had the most experienced team in conference and did not improve from last year. The comment that "if Price doesn't take another job" is a joke, right. No one is going to hire that guy - no one!!! Why would they? But, we are getting what we are paying for. Our talent level is comparable to Tic's teams at McNeese, which wasn't very good. I really expect next year to be Price's last year if we hire an AD that holds coaches accountable to the product they produce. To have other schools getting the talent we don't, based on the facilities, is unacceptable. SELa is playing in a facility equivalent to a high school and HBU is Jr. High.

I have been a season ticket holder since we played in McDonald Gym, and have never had the sense that it is not going to get better than I do now.

To put it mildly, I am not optimistic about men's basketball for the future

I think you need to look at the last 30 years of men's basketball. If you are the least optimistic you've been since McDonald gym...damn, you must be the biggest PolyAnna in the WORLD!!! I'm trying to see where there was any reason for optimism since the early 90's? Maybe Rocaforte with his highly touted recruiting classes? Or the Pat Knight disaster? Do you realize we won 3 out of 4 vs Sam and SFA?? Granted, back in the day we'd own those schools but back in the day was over 30 years ago!!

I'm also disappointed with a 19-win season but it dawned on it me.

4 years ago, I would have been THRILLED with a 19 win season. Price has raised the level of this program. He knows we need to be better. He's hired good assistants who have gone on to get better jobs in Burton and Tony Madlock.

Jordan Hunter and Page could be two of the best guards in the conference next season, both had success & contributed to teams in larger conferences before transferring to Lamar.

Same goes for Kolawole.

Barrett needs to be a better Weisbrod which is unlikely but possible. I don't have high hopes for Buster or Easter. The freshman we've recruited recently haven't been great.

Brian Burton recruited Nzeakor and Garth, the only two proven returners.