Marco Born Named New Athletics Director

KABrother88

Little bit of a condensed bio on Born:

- Former Student Athlete (Tennis) at Middle Tennessee State where he won an NCAA doubles national championship, was named and All-American, and is a member of the MTSU Athletics Hall of Fame.

- Worked in MTSU’s athletics department from 2007-2013 in a variety of roles.

- Started in group ticketing and marketing.

- Promoted to director of Ticketing in 2009.

- Named Assistant AD for Ticketing and Marketing in 2011.

- Promoted to Associate AD in 2013.

- In his final year at MTSU, ticket sales increased by 25% and the WBB program finished top 20 in the nation in attendance with nearly 5,000 per game.

- Named the Senior Associate Ad for External Affairs in 2014 at Louisiana Tech.

- Promoted to Executive Associate AD in 2017.

- Oversaw fundraising, marketing and promotions, ticket sales, multi-media rights, licensing and merchandising at LT.

- In 2017, LT’s overall revenue for the athletics department increased by 148% while overall fundraising revenue increased by 252%.

I've never heard of the guy but from his bio and the recommendations he seems to be very proficient in fundraising. Also. his background as a former student athlete is a plus as he should have that added perspective. Sounds good on paper. He can't be worse than Henderson...nice guy but didn't know how to pat backs and relate to the coaches very well. #PeckEm

From all the praise in his introduction and comments from others in the athletic directors field he sounds like he might be the right person for the job. Only apparent negative is if he is as good as advertised he might not be at Lamar for a long duration as somewhere with more money will likely come hunting for him if he is successful at Lamar. But that is a good potential problem. Good luck Marco.

I've never heard of the guy but from his bio and the recommendations he seems to be very proficient in fundraising. Also. his background as a former student athlete is a plus as he should have that added perspective. Sounds good on paper. He can't be worse than Henderson...nice guy but didn't know how to pat backs and relate to the coaches very well. #PeckEm

On paper there are several things to like about the hire. As you mentioned, the background of being a student athlete gives him a better understanding of the way things operate at the players level. The fact that he was very successful while playing means there could be more of a demand for excellence vs a strive for excellence. He appears to have been heavily involved in ticketing and fundraising which are 2 categories Lamar is in dire need of at the moment. Now the easiest way to get butts in the seats is to win...but to me ticketing, fundraising and winning all all connected. If you win, people show up and that additional revenue combined with fundraising allows faculty improvements that attract better players...better players lead to more winning and the cycle continues. Another aspect that could be good or bad for Lamar is the rate of his accession to where he is now. He graduated from MTSU in 2007 so that would put him around 33 years old or so. Since he has climbed the ladder so fast means he has been exceptional at what he’s done. But the fact that he is so young means that if success continues here that he might stick around long if bigger schools start calling.

Having someone that other schools might want is a good problem. Hopefully that is the case and when his time at LU is over the administration will be able to find another up and comer. Until then I just hope he turns out to be as good as what the paper trail hype looks like.

This is what this site has been screaming for. A young, hungry, up and comer who has the credentials to succeed. I would imagine the coaching hires from now on until he moves on to be very good. His vision for the LU athletics is spot on and I agree with KABrother88 that he may DEMAND excellence rather than hope for excellence. It's too easy to trade on his name and make the moves he makes centered around the Jason Bourne books and movies. I think the first installment should be the Born Ultimatum where he actually tells his coaches they had better win or he will show them the door while promising to make moves to get fans into the stands at sporting events. Let's hope the baseball team is the first group to become energized by this new hire!

On paper there are several things to like about the hire. As you mentioned, the background of being a student athlete gives him a better understanding of the way things operate at the players level. The fact that he was very successful while playing means there could be more of a demand for excellence vs a strive for excellence. He appears to have been heavily involved in ticketing and fundraising which are 2 categories Lamar is in dire need of at the moment. Now the easiest way to get butts in the seats is to win...but to me ticketing, fundraising and winning all all connected. If you win, people show up and that additional revenue combined with fundraising allows faculty improvements that attract better players...better players lead to more winning and the cycle continues. Another aspect that could be good or bad for Lamar is the rate of his accession to where he is now. He graduated from MTSU in 2007 so that would put him around 33 years old or so. Since he has climbed the ladder so fast means he has been exceptional at what he’s done. But the fact that he is so young means that if success continues here that he might stick around long if bigger schools start calling.

Ditto!!! I feel he is the first "real" Athletic Director at Lamar. Prior ADs were in-house coaches (except Henderson) that were hit and miss as for as performance in the job. I am enthused with this hire.

Couple of things I took away from the press conference:

1.) He is a large human being. Had to look it up but he was listed as 6’9” on MTSU’s tennis roster when he played. He will command attention when he speaks purely off that.

2.) He is from Germany. Still very easy to understand even with an accent.

3.) The fact that Louisiana Tech AD Tommy McClelland showed up shows how much he appreciated the work that Born did at LT. Also could mean we see more games against the 2 schools.

4.) He was adamant about being in the community and continually went back to that saying that Lamar will need community financial support.

5.) Wants to create great game day atmospheres. He mentioned a few activities that’s could increase attendance but said that other people do things and you don’t have to reinvent the wheel to be creative.

6.) Wants to get students to the games. That builds on the gameday atmosphere but he made this point seperately and it’s something that Lamar has severely lacked for a long time.

7.) He had already called donors before the press conference. Shows he’s serious about getting things done and is ready to get the ball rolling on things

1.) He is a large human being. Had to look it up but he was listed as 6’9” on MTSU’s tennis roster when he played. He will command attention when he speaks purely off that.

3.) The fact that Louisiana Tech AD Tommy McClelland showed up shows how much he appreciated the work that Born did at LT. Also could mean we see more games against the 2 schools.

4.) He was adamant about being in the community and continually went back to that saying that Lamar will need community financial support.

5.) Wants to create great game day atmospheres. He mentioned a few activities that’s could increase attendance but said that other people do things and you don’t have to reinvent the wheel to be creative.

6.) Wants to get students to the games. That builds on the gameday atmosphere but he made this point seperately and it’s something that Lamar has severely lacked for a long time.

7.) He had already called donors before the press conference. Shows he’s serious about getting things done and is ready to get the ball rolling on things

I really hope he adds FBS to the list

Maybe he’ll scrap the 3pm kickoff?