Lamar Softball Situation

puddin tane

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bruder is one of the better coaches currently at Lamar. She's definitely one of the hardest working ones. The softball complex is really nice and it wouldn't be in existence without her hard work and fund raising efforts. No, she's not currently "setting the world on fire" record wise, but I'd bet her graduation rates are up there. She deserves a better fate than this fiasco.

Bruder is one of the better coaches currently at Lamar. She's definitely one of the hardest working ones. The softball complex is really nice and it wouldn't be in existence without her hard work and fund raising efforts. No, she's not currently "setting the world on fire" record wise, but I'd bet her graduation rates are up there. She deserves a better fate than this fiasco.

What is the fiasco? Does anyone know what she did?

What is the fiasco? Does anyone know what she did?

famous "violation of university policies"...new AD, Bruder missing senior day weekend...either Marco is throwing around some weight, or there is sumthin to it. Who knows? wonder if she'll be reinstated for Nichols series and tourney if they get in..

Based on the circumstances this had better be a "due diligence/cover all our bases" formality of an investigation. If not, there's gonna be some supremely upset young ladies. The girls are 110% behind coach. Anything greater than a slap on the wrist may trigger mutiny. And yes, it would be smart to have a resolution before the weekend.

Well here it is.

https://m.beaumontenterprise.com/news/article/Softball-player-Lamar-violated-her-faith-12891263.php#photo-14117324

In short, former starting catcher Paige Holmes was forced by an assistant to eat meat during lent which violates her Catholic beliefs. Holmes tried unsuccessfully to set up a meeting with Bruder to discuss and that meeting happened only AFTER Holmes contacted then AD Norman Ballard. During the meeting Bruder twice brought up removing Holmes from the team. 2 days later Bruder said it would be a “conflict of interest” to let Holmes remain in the team. Holmes played that weekend against HBU but only appeared in one game of the remaining 24 after that. After the HBU series, Holmes said the coaching staff stopped communicating with her and attempted to make it a hostie environment.

After reading the article it seems like there are more underlying issues that are not brought out. Was the assistant coach checking how much and of what each player ate or for whatever reason did that coach have a personal issue with the player? Had the player been behaving in other instances in a manner that was negative toward building up the team? I find it a little difficult to believe that a player would be threatened with removal from the team if it were just the first time a problem came up. Definitely agree that the coaching staff should have handled the situation better. I hope both the coaching staff and player learn from this as they move forward. I have seen a number of players quit teams over the years but threatening to suit the school if the staff was not removed seems a little over the top. That law suit threat seems like the young lady is now acting more hostile than the school. Edited by geezer

To me, it looks like Bruder and staff blew Holmes off, with the old "screw you, what'cha going to do about it" type of attitude. I guess that they found out. Sometimes, that sweet looking little possum turns around and bites the crap out of you.

At this point I think the university is hoping that the suspension will shield them from any actual punitive damages if the young lady decides to suit if the university reinstates Bruder and staff. Whether she is reinstated or not I won't be surprised at all if Bruder moves on depending on what coaching jobs open up since the Softball season is over. Her record at Lamar may not have larger schools coming after her but it is definitely good enough to get a job at a similar school.

my GUESS is the assistant was Honkofsky, the assistant head coach? purely a guess, but that would explain why the "lower" assistant took over coaching duties.

where was Bruder when this was going on?

current coaching staff doesnt make it very attractive for Catholic recruits....IF its all true. Opposing recruiters will definately play up something like this...whether its true or not. I predict Bruder and Honkofsky are toast, as is this girls playing career.

: rup-roh

The article states one side of a "she said/she said" situation as it were in this situation. Several players were present during this "situation" from what I can ascertain, and none/zero agree with the side of the story in the article. Anyone who has ever coached knows there's always sour grapes in these situations unfortunately. Hopefully everyone moves on from this and learn/grow from it. Nobody deserves to lose their job or scholarship over it. Sports kids and their parents can be a handful believe me. I don't have the patience do coaching for a living and this is more proof of it. As far as moving on, this softball team is basically Bruder's baby she's raised. She seems very loyal to the team, girls, and university in my opinion.

As the old saying goes there are 3 sides to every story...each parties sides and the truth.

One question I have is was the assistant in question aware of Holmes being Catholic thus fasting from meat on fridays during lent? I can see how with a game that evening the coaches ensuring each player was properly nourished. The article says Holmes offered to just eat something at the team hotel but were they going there first or straight to the game thus she wouldn’t eat before hand? If the coach wasn’t aware of Holmes’ faith it could have been very possible she instructed Holmes to eat the chicken sandwich and never thought twice about it.

Now we get to the failure to discuss the matter promptly. If that part is true it’s not acceptable to have a head coach unwilling to openly communicate with their players on ANY subject matter. In most cases your players are far from home and whether you like it or not, you are their caretaker while they are under your watch. In Holmes, case she was halfway across the country from her home state of Florida. The article states that in the eventual meeting, Bruder brought up twice removing Holmes from the team. Did Holmes say something to bring that comment up? Later it says that Holmes was pulled aside by Bruder who told her it would be a conflict of interest to keep Holmes on the team...yet Holmes starts all three games that weekend. Again however...3 sides to every story.

My final point is this. I was told when this initially broke that Bruder isn’t just overly in love with Lamar and Beaumont. Add that to the fact that new AD Marco Born comes in and his first order of business it to suspend you. Now you have an immediate strained relationship that probably isn’t just gonna go away..especially after Bruder started the softball program from scratch while Born was just getting started in any kind of athletic department role.

From the responses to this Facebook page, there definitely seems to be two sides to this story:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155734064424163&id=123291534162&_rdr

2 key comments in there

1.) “I was in the lobby at Northwestern when this happened. She was offered an alternate option (one of the coaches offered to go and get her food) which she refused to take. She had OTHER OPTIONS besides eating the sandwich.”

2.) “This misguided young lady was invited into my home when Beaumont flooded. While here, she spoke of suing Lamar over her multiple concussions and suing her insurance company for not covering her flooded car. In this sue-happy world, I think she set things up perfectly to finally make the quick cash she was looking for. SHAME on you, Paige! If your faith was so strong, nobody should’ve been able to force feed you against your beliefs when other options were given. If you win the money you’ve been after, I hope you understand it was at the expense of your teammates and a growing softball program. We back Coach Bruder! ❤️

: rup-roh

The article states one side of a "she said/she said" situation as it were in this situation. Several players were present during this "situation" from what I can ascertain, and none/zero agree with the side of the story in the article. Anyone who has ever coached knows there's always sour grapes in these situations unfortunately. Hopefully everyone moves on from this and learn/grow from it. Nobody deserves to lose their job or scholarship over it. Sports kids and their parents can be a handful believe me. I don't have the patience do coaching for a living and this is more proof of it. As far as moving on, this softball team is basically Bruder's baby she's raised. She seems very loyal to the team, girls, and university in my opinion.

back in the day, i used to ump. i thought little league moms were the worst..until i saw the moms at a softball tourney. mercy.

and w/o the facts, i aint saying she needs to be fired, but no coach is irreplaceable. ULL (a heck of a softball program) went thru a big to do with firing their longtime softball coach. Girls left, girls stayed, season went on and i think they are ranked 21st.

if Bruder stays, she needs a pitcher!

Extremely disappointed in my alma mater and society in general basically. It's pretty sad that one unhappy, selfish child can affect so many people's lives. Not really surprising in the world we now live in but sad. Rant over for good on this subject.