Is there anything going on with Lamar football?

Dracula

Looking at the roster I noticed that the DL and OL looks bigger than last year. Hopefully that translates into more wins. I also noticed a lot of unannounced transfers, or maybe I just haven't been paying attention. I think we'll see if the coaching staff is the real deal or not this year. If there's not at least a decent improvement over last year then we'll know we're doomed to suffer a few more years.

I’ve been checking the roster frequently and have noticed several additions but was waiting until it was updated again (at least with new pictures) before I put together an addition and subtraction list. One notable addition is DB Garrison Mitchell. Mitchell is the younger brother of former Lamar QB Robert Mitchell who transferred to Blinn after his RS-Fr season following the 2014 season. It looked like Garrison was going to follow Robert to Lamar when he signed in 2014 but an 11th hour offer from New Mexico ended that hope. After a RS season at New Mexico, Garrison followed Robert to Blinn for 2015. Garrison then signed with UAB in 2016 who was resurrecting their program after a very brief hiatus. Since UAB didn’t play any games in 2016, the NCAA did not count that as a year of eligibility. Therefore, Garrison will still be a RS-Jr for this coming season. Last season at UAB, Garrison had 29 tackles and 13 PBUs in all 13 games. Could be a very good pickup.

The team reports today. Tomorrow real practice begins. The team is definitely bigger and stronger. Hopefully the QB competition is a fair and good one. I'm sure in this offense most will get playing time eventually due to injury. There were a lot of freshmen playing significant minutes last year. A year of college strength and conditioning should do wonders for them coming back. Gonna keep my hopes up for a decent season. #PeckEm

Hey everyone, hope every thing is going well! I have to admit that I haven't kept up with Lamar football as well as I should have, but what I have heard from the very early part of practice the team is showing improvement. Specifically I've heard that they are very excited about the improvement of the offensive line. My biggest concern, however, is the skill positions. You can have a great offensive line that can create holes and protect the QB but unless you have someone who preform at a high level at the QB, RB, and WR positions you still aren't going to be able to move the ball. Has anyone heard anything about the skill positions? Were they able to bring in better players? Returning players?

Hey everyone, hope every thing is going well! I have to admit that I haven't kept up with Lamar football as well as I should have, but what I have heard from the very early part of practice the team is showing improvement. Specifically I've heard that they are very excited about the improvement of the offensive line. My biggest concern, however, is the skill positions. You can have a great offensive line that can create holes and protect the QB but unless you have someone who preform at a high level at the QB, RB, and WR positions you still aren't going to be able to move the ball. Has anyone heard anything about the skill positions? Were they able to bring in better players? Returning players?

I think they'll be pretty good at the RB position. Randle, King, and Wanza are pretty good for this level. Wanza may be special. The WRs aren't too bad either. Howard and Hawthorne are two kids with size that are fast enough. Giles and Banks have some better speed. The QB situation isn't as good. Schultz has already said that Colbert will be the starter for the first game. He prefers the "dual threat" QB, which at this level usually means he can throw very well and that's the case with Colbert. Hoy is very athletic and has a little better arm. Morse has the superior arm and decent mobility. In my opinion, they're going with the third best option with Colbert. I think they will all play due to the injuries that come with running this system. Not a fan. I say if you have an average team, chunk the rock to open up the running game, but that's my stupid opinion I guess. The tight ends are pretty solid. Robinson has taken to the position, Sikes is your prototypical guy who has the size and hands, Shorts is decent too , just like his name, he's short but I believe he owns at least one lifting record for Lamar for tight ends. Schultz rarely uses the position tho. Looking forward to a better season! #PeckEm

Just for grins and I had nothing else to do, I googled the 2017 roster and compared it to the current 2018 roster. Like KA Brother mentioned, there are a lot of transfers on the 2018 roster plus you can see the weight difference. It's looking like a lot of improvements up and down the roster.

I really need a hobby.

subtractions from 2017 roster that showed to still have eligibility.

tyson williams -qb-fr

tyler robinson-db-fr

markell hawthorne-rb-fr

griffin hammond-wr-fr

nate jones-db-jr

zach roberts-ds-jr

willie williams-ol-jr

britton larkin-de-fr

payton power-ol-fr

william stanley-ol-fr

seth adams-ng-jr

jt vongor-ol-fr

terrence burns-ol-jr

ethan cothen-ol so

hayden evans-ol-fr

elijah porchia-wr-jr

trenton swinton-wr-jr

jarrod wood-te-jr

dyaln barlow-ng-jr

mattiecionez jones-de-fr

donovan jackson-de-fr

benjamin baxter-k-fr

Help an old guy with his memory. Schultz has had a short recruiting period plus a regular recruiting cycle. I wonder how many of the last Woodard roster plus his 2 recruiting cycles are still there. It has to have been a massive turnover of the roster. Can anybody ballpark a figure?

subtractions from 2017 roster that showed to still have eligibility.

tyson williams -qb-fr

tyler robinson-db-fr

markell hawthorne-rb-fr

griffin hammond-wr-fr

nate jones-db-jr

zach roberts-ds-jr

willie williams-ol-jr

britton larkin-de-fr

payton power-ol-fr

william stanley-ol-fr

seth adams-ng-jr

jt vongor-ol-fr

terrence burns-ol-jr

ethan cothen-ol so

hayden evans-ol-fr

elijah porchia-wr-jr

trenton swinton-wr-jr

jarrod wood-te-jr

dyaln barlow-ng-jr

mattiecionez jones-de-fr

donovan jackson-de-fr

benjamin baxter-k-fr

Most of the names on that list are walk-one guys. The biggest names at Nate Jones, Willie Williams and Seth Adams.

Does anyone have a current depth chart?

Wouldn’t surprise me to not see one until the week leading up to the opener. Schultz has held things very close to the vest this far in his tenure. From the sounds of interviews it looked like Colbert will get the start at QB and Wanza will be the #1 RB.

Help an old guy with his memory. Schultz has had a short recruiting period plus a regular recruiting cycle. I wonder how many of the last Woodard roster plus his 2 recruiting cycles are still there. It has to have been a massive turnover of the roster. Can anybody ballpark a figure?

By my count, 27 of the 80 players listed on the roster were signed under Woodard...an additional 2 were committed to Lamar when Schultz replaced Woodard.

Wouldn’t surprise me to not see one until the week leading up to the opener. Schultz has held things very close to the vest this far in his tenure. From the sounds of interviews it looked like Colbert will get the start at QB and Wanza will be the #1 RB.

I agree, Colbert will start. Also, Wanza will be #1 but I do like that Starnes kid and A J Walker.

I agree, Colbert will start. Also, Wanza will be #1 but I do like that Starnes kid and A J Walker.

Colbert looked like crap Saturday and got dressed down pretty good on one occasion but Schultz has stated before that he would start game one. He's too quick to give up on a play and tuck and run in my opinion. A J Walker is a STOUT dude, like buffed stout but still has good speed and shiftiness. He looked really good in the scrimmage. Wanza looked good too. Colbert got him drilled on a screen pass that a blind person could see coming. The DB had broke on the play before he even threw it. Wanza came to the sideline later laughing saying that's why he plays football...contact. Tough kid for his size. The defense didn't look very good Saturday but several starters were out. The roster is up to date now btw.

Edited by spoonbill

anybody remember who the OL,TE,and WR were when Colbert was running the scrimmage?

QBs were switching between the ones and twos so it varied. Saw the new freshman QB Johnson. He looks taller than 6'3" but he got no action and will probably redshirt if possible. There was also a Jack Dallas sighting but he only ran a couple red zone series and was the backup holder on PAT.