FCS Playoffs

coachacola

Nicholls State beat Southeast Louisiana 44-0 tonight to win the SLC automatic bid to the FCS Playoffs. Now we need to beat McNeese and UCA to beat ACU to have any chance of an at-large bid.

That’s interesting. I was kind of hoping y’all lose to a McNeese and we make enough of a statement against UCA that we get the invite over UIW.

Truth be known, I don’t think it makes much difference what either of us do. UIW will get the at large bid over either of us. I base this on the press UIW is getting and brackets picked by folks who keep up with the historic thinking of the selection committee.

All three of us would have 6 wins in the eyes of the committee. Games against sub D1 teams don’t count. UIW will have only two losses. ACU and Lamar have three losses.

Your six game winning streak could possibly, maybe be a factor. Our convincing win over conference champion Nicholls could help us. But I don’t expect either factor will be enough to sway the committee or pick us over UIW or choose Both UIW and one of us. They might just choose an with Mo Valley team over any of us since UIW doesn’t have 7 wins either.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to Nicholls. The winner of the LU/McNeese game will have seven wins if that is really important to the committee although one of Lamar's would be against a non-D1 school. In Lamar's case they have a head to head win over IW. If McNeese wins I believe they will get an at large spot as they got snubbed last year with nine wins and have a win against fellow FCS school Northern Colorado in the non-conference. As for LU, ACU and IW, none of these has a history to get any help from, so the only way in was to earn it which none did outside of the conference. Both LU and ACU will have a seventh win but that will be against a D-2 or lower division school. IW will only have six wins no matter what and all of those are in conference. IW might get a little help as both of the non-conference games they've played were against FBS schools and they're located in a large city. Edited by geezer

That’s interesting. I was kind of hoping y’all lose to a McNeese and we make enough of a statement against UCA that we get the invite over UIW.

Truth be known, I don’t think it makes much difference what either of us do. UIW will get the at large bid over either of us. I base this on the press UIW is getting and brackets picked by folks who keep up with the historic thinking of the selection committee.

All three of us would have 6 wins in the eyes of the committee. Games against sub D1 teams don’t count. UIW will have only two losses. ACU and Lamar have three losses.

Your six game winning streak could possibly, maybe be a factor. Our convincing win over conference champion Nicholls could help us. But I don’t expect either factor will be enough to sway the committee or pick us over UIW or choose Both UIW and one of us. They might just choose an with Mo Valley team over any of us since UIW doesn’t have 7 wins either.

I was watching the NCAA video on how they pick the teams. If both ACU and LU win Saturday then they could both make the tourney and play against each other in the first round since they didn't play against each other during the regular season. Of course that would mean IWU would get royally screwed by the NCAA and the NCAA really was desperate to get 3 SLC teams in the tourney. Not going to happen but fun to think about.

At this time all you can do if you’re Lamar is to cross your fingers and make some phone calls if you know someone. Obviously at this point you are basically having to petition to put you in over UIW who won a share of the SLC championship but won’t get the autobid due to playing 8 conference games vs everyone else playing 9. Here are a few points I would argue for Lamar over UIW:

• Head to Head win October 13th

• LU may be one of the hottest teams in the country having won 6 in a row.

• 4 of those 6 were against teams either in the top 25 at the time of the game or now.

• Lamar’s 3 FCS losses were by a combined 30 points (10 points per game). UIW’s 2 FCS losses were by a combined 33 points (16.5 points per game)