Oh My Lord

Dracula

In my opinion, with respect to football scheduling, two things need to happen. No more Kentucky Christian type teams ( I believe that Schultz said he would not schedule those type of games) and, for the love of God, stop scheduling Texas A&M. In 2014, I was there, when Lamar visited Kyle Field. The final score was 73-3, which was to be expected, but the game money was too good to pass on. That was then and 2019 is now. Jimbo Fisher is the new HC sheriff in town and the team , that I saw last night abusing and destroying NC State, would crush the 2014 Texas A&M team. The 2019 version of the Aggies will be legitimate SEC title contenders and, if they finish, with only 1 loss in 2019, will be in the conversation for a spot in the College Football Playoffs.

Schultz has brought Lamar football back to a good place and a legitimate shot to win the 2019 Southland Conference Championship and a return to the playoffs. After watching the Aggies crush NC State and knowing that they have the 3rd best recruiting class, in 2019, an image from the movie Spartacus flashed in front of my eyes. You know the end scene where the Romans paved the road back to Rome, with the surviving rebels. No amount of money is worth risking the 2019 possibilities.

Go find someone else and, for the love of God, lose A&M's phone number and don't return their calls or e-mails.

Edited by Dracula

First of all the game was scheduled a few years ago when Henderson was still AD at Lamar and Kevin Sumlin was still HC at A&M. Not saying fans and athletic departments don’t expect teams to improve to the levels that each are at right now, but it wasn’t trending that way for either team when it was scheduled.

Secondly, without games like this, FCS programs struggle to exist. You could go play North Texas or Rice (who we are scheduled to play in 2020) level teams every year but the truth of the matter is that you SEC and Big 12 teams are gonna pay close to twice as much.

Thirdly, I’m married into an Aggie family so I keep up with them as much as I do Lamar. On top of A&M’s regular SEC West schedule, they have road games at Clemson and Georgia. If they finish that schedule with just 1 loss I don’t see how they aren’t in the CFP...no discussion needed lol.

As far as Lamar’s actual game against A&M, it will be September 14th and sandwiched between the road game at Clemson and their SEC opener against Auburn. Could see some starters not play or pulled early depending on how much work they need to get in and how many issues need to be addressed. A&M is more than likely going to be replacing several key pieces (3 DL and possibly 2 LB, RB, TE & C to the NFL) as will Lamar but one thing about Jimbo Fisher is that he likes to run the ball...meaning you’re probably not going to see A&M score 70. If so, Lamar has more issues than the schedule. For reference, A&M beat Northwestern St. 59-7 this season.

Oh hell, bring on Alabama!! FCS schools have to figure out how to fund their programs without the guaranteed loss games. Also quit playing schools from lower than division 2 at home looking for a guarantee win. That's two games a year that are meaningless. While I believe winning is the only way long term to fill the stadium, playing Kentucky Christian at home isn't the answer.

Do you want to handle this one KABrother?

Sure...but don’t expect a typical Aggie response. Yes this isn’t Sumlin’s A&M program...was pretty clear watching them this season. They are transitioning to a more prototypical SEC team that likes to control the ball and play solid D. That being said, they are still a long ways from getting there and you could see it with their SEC West loses. I see them as being a solid competitor for 2nd-4rd in the West with LSU and Auburn until Saban finally loses the fire...although idk when that will be.

I’ll bite...not a chance in hell lol.

Everybody understands that the idea of Texas and A&M meeting in the CFP is a real, real, what the hell have you been smokin' long shot, but it could happen. Both teams have fairly young and elite coaches, who know how to build programs, and who dream to make the CFP. A&M's path is clearer but ridiculously harder. Their only route, to the CFP is the direct route, which is straight up and over the mountain, because they play, on an annual basis, every team, that you have to beat, to get to the CFP. Texas, will have to hike around the CFP mountain. Texas will need some help, from A&M's beating the perennial CFP powers, a great season record with wins over ranked teams, win the Big 12 conference championship, and schedule and beat some big time teams, in the non conference portion of their schedule. The great season record, with the exception of OU, is the easiest part of the hike since the Big 12 has become not much more than a season long scrimmage session for OU and Texas. Texas would have to beat OU in Dallas and then again, in the conference championship game. That only leaves the non conference part to navigate. In 2018, Texas played Maryland, Tulsa, and USC, that ain't going to cut it. Starting in 2019, Texas's non conference schedule starts name dropping big time schools like LSU, Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State and Georgia. Now, Texas is getting somewhere.

In just 2 seasons, Tom Herman has built the Texas program, from Charlie Strong records of 5-7 and no bowl trips to 10-4 and beating Georgia, in one of the most prestigious bowl games, of the year, and he is just a baby ,at 43 years old. Jimbo Fisher, 53, is in his first year as HC of A&M, but the results speak for themselves. They are going to have to because, who wants to waste time praising an Aggie. Sorry, KABrother, I'm still on Sugar Bowl time.

It could happen, but next next year.

Edited by Dracula

Everybody understands that the idea of Texas and A&M meeting in the CFP is a real, real, what the hell have you been smokin' long shot, but it could happen. Both teams have fairly young and elite coaches, who know how to build programs, and who dream to make the CFP. A&M's path is clearer but ridiculously harder. Their only route, to the CFP is the direct route, which is straight up and over the mountain, because they play, on an annual basis, every team, that you have to beat, to get to the CFP. Texas, will have to hike around the CFP mountain. Texas will need some help, from A&M's beating the perennial CFP powers, a great season record with wins over ranked teams, win the Big 12 conference championship, and schedule and beat some big time teams, in the non conference portion of their schedule. The great season record, with the exception of OU, is the easiest part of the hike since the Big 12 has become not much more than a season long scrimmage session for OU and Texas. Texas would have to beat OU in Dallas and then again, in the conference championship game. That only leaves the non conference part to navigate. In 2018, Texas played Maryland, Tulsa, and USC, that ain't going to cut it. Starting in 2019, Texas's non conference schedule starts name dropping big time schools like LSU, Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State and Georgia. Now, Texas is getting somewhere.

In just 2 seasons, Tom Herman has built the Texas program, from Charlie Strong records of 5-7 and no bowl trips to 10-4 and beating Georgia, in one of the most prestigious bowl games, of the year, and he is just a baby ,at 43 years old. Jimbo Fisher, 53, is in his first year as HC of A&M, but the results speak for themselves. They are going to have to because, who wants to waste time praising an Aggie. Sorry, KABrother, I'm still on Sugar Bowl time.

It could happen, but next next year.

Texas at Austin does not schedule FCS teams, but schedules weaker (?) major conference teams (Maryland - Big Ten - can't beat 'em) or non-Power 5 FBS teams in non-conference. They do have an advantage due to the largest athletic budget to play who they want. As for the mighty SEC, all the teams usually play a FCS team. For these elite teams, it is almost is a guaranteed win and they sell out their games no matter the opponent. Now Saban was upset earlier this year because some of the lowly FBS teams they scheduled were not getting capacity crowds, which cost him money since he has a contract clause the gets him more money based on actual home attendance, not tickets sold.

I am glad that A&M, Texas Tech, Houston, ULL, North Texas, & Houston have scheduled us. I believe Lamar would have beat Rice this year if the game was scheduled in the last half of the schedule. Remember App State beat mighty Michigan in Ann Arbor one year so anything is possible (btw, App State was the FCS champion at the time).

As for as rooting for UT or A&M, I could care less about their programs and only remember pulling for the Horns 3 times in my life (last night vs. Georgia, vs. USC in 2005 Nat Champ game, & one time vs. Notre Dame).

Last night, the night after the Sugar bowl, I was driving West on I-10. I passed this very expensive animal trailer being pulled by a very expensive big dual wheel pickup. I realized that I was passing Bevo's trailer because they are not shy about advertising who is inside. That big mac travels in style. Edited by Dracula

Last night, the night after the Sugar bowl, I was driving West on I-10. I passed this very expensive animal trailer being pulled by a very expensive big dual wheel pickup. I realized that I was passing Bevo's trailer because they are not shy about advertising who is inside. That big mac travels in style.

dang, i figured he had his own plane.