Tic Price

Anyone else have the sense if the Men's program doesn't at least finish top 3 in the standings and have a good showing in the conference tournament that we will move on from Tic Price...

I feel he has had talented teams and they constantly underachieve ( outside of our win streak last year to propel us up the Southland ladder )

It was nice to see but I feel that's our ceiling under Price... Yes I get it 19,19 & 20 wins but take out the non D-1 wins and look at the record very average at best.

Gut feeling says we underachieve and we have an opening for Head Coach after this season ...

Don't get me wrong Tic worked nothing short of a miracle after the little general fiasco but I feel he has brought us to his ceiling as a coach 4th-6th place team during the regular season and maybe making it to the second round of the conference tournament.

Thoughts ??

Going back to when Price first replaced Knight I among some others were pretty sure that middle of the pack was what he would deliver. Look back at his record at McNeese and even before that, while he was working his way up the coaching ladder until being forced out at Memphis a top tier regular season was a rarity. If he cuts the non D-1 games down to a max of two and then can deliver a top four finish in the SLC then maybe he is slowly exceeding my original expectations, but beyond that LU needs to be looking for its next coach. Born would need to figure out who the new coach would be before getting rid of Price though as for sure mediocre is better than his two predecessors, no point in going backwards again.

Pat knight

The General Bob Knights pride and joy

Aha.

I took fiasco, (verb) as the operative word; not Little General (Noun)

He's the type guy you buy for what he's worth and sell for what he think's he's worth

• 3 weeks later...
Correct me if I am wrong, but Coach Price is starting his 5th full year as the head basketball coach. His won-loss record is 85-80 (.555), which is 3rd best in men's basketball history. Considering the deep dark hole that he had to climb out of, I feel like that there should be more support thrown his way. This is the best we have had in a while and I firmly believe it will continue to get better. Go Cards.

If Price was an un-proven coach as if this was his first or second head coaching job I would agree with you, but this is his fifth or sixth job. Unless he produces 19 or 20 wins and gets rid of most of the non-D1 games I think LU is where it will be. If your satisfied with that then keep him if you want more he needs to take the next steps or the AD should be looking for how to get to the next level. For me the next level is consistent conference championships and regular trips to the NCAA tourney. Maybe eventually a move to a stronger conference.

Ok 85-80 is very inflated take out the sub D1 school's and see whats left of those 85 wins.

Price is an average coach who will get you a 4-6 seed in the conference tournament consistently.

If this is the bar for Lamar Basketball (mens) then count me out.

Look what the women have done for the past 7 or 8 years i would be through the roof if the mens team was on that level each year

I think Tic is on borrowed time, and agree that he will have to have a stellar year to get a contract extension. Born is beginning to hold the people in the athletic department accountable in all facets of their sports, unlike the previous AD. I think we maybe seeing some of the changes now with more to come.

I think the only thing that even comes remotely comes close to saving him is an outright conference title and tourney title. Little Marco is on a mission to put his people in place - young, inexperienced coaches who will not stand up to or question him. I think this is Tic's last year.

I wouldn't know Marco Born, if he was standing next to me. However, I think that we all, or most of us, can agree that Born is an ambitious career builder. LU is the current step , on his career ladder, and he will aggressively try to build and improve LU's athletic image. All we have to do is sit back and let him work.

For the record Born's first head coaching hire was the softball head coach I believe. Schultz was hired by the previous AD. That said I agree that the AD can screw up all sports but let's face it Basketball and Football coaches normally are the ones that make or break athletic programs at least as far as a schools national reputation goes. I think most places womens basketball is third.

I think to some degree you can make a good argument that if you have a successful sport that is getting good fan support the AD and the university should be promoting that sport to keep the coaches that are producing but that is where College Sports becomes a business and historically at most places football and men's basketball have been the revenue producers even with less than average programs. How much money does softball, baseball or volleyball bring in? How much would you have to raise ticket prices to pay for themselves much less help support some of the other programs. I'm not saying that LU football or men's basketball is producing the revenue that they could or should but poor records over twenty years gets you to where the programs are today. Assuming there is nothing hiding in the wood shed that I'm not aware of, if all Harmony wanted to stay was an extension I would have gladly tried to make it happen as although she still hasn't delivered a post season win the regular season has consistently been positive and winning any one game can always be a crap shoot. Don't remember which thread it was in but a comment was made that UNI outcoached LU in the football playoff. I would say that is most probably true and that is why UNI has won five or six FCS Championships in the last ten years and the UNI coach was hired by a Big 12 school. To me that is at least as big a jump as the HC coaches at Houston going to Texas or A&M. One other thing on Harmony leaving and the women's program, for whatever reason the fan base hasn't really responded to the success. I remember the women's game against LSU in the NCAA tourney with around 9000 in the Montagne and regular crowds of four to five thousand for men's games, even against similar opponents as the current SLC schools.