**Bethel vs Lamar Game Thread**

KABrother88

Had planned to watch on line but didn't get back to where I could get the internet until the third quarter. Listening to first half it sounded like LU was still a little sloppy but considering the opponent. Seemed like a little more passing than was the case at this point last year.

Got the video feed going and sad to say it will be another year of video announcers that don't even know the rules. They made the comment that because Givens played his red shirt opportunity was burnt but that was a rule change last year. A player can play four games and still maintain a red shirt. I know we talked about on here.

I had to work a little later than I wanted tonight and made it home around middle of the 1st quarter. I ended up watching the Lamar game on my phone on mute while watching the A&M game in TV. It’s so painful to listen to at times. I don’t know if it’s just the audio equipment or the broadcasters but it seems like half the time it just sounds like they are mumbling. And also for the love of God learn the roster...

As far as the play on the field it looked like there are a lot a things to work on. But the end result was what you would expect. Blowout win against an inferior opponent...although they gave us a much better look than we normally get out of the likes of Bacone and Texas College...

As far as the play on the field it looked like there are a lot a things to work on. But the end result was what you would expect. Blowout win against an inferior opponent...although they gave us a much better look than we normally get out of the likes of Bacone and Texas College...

unlike texas college and the baconettes, Bethel had good size and looked like they had played football before. texas college would have a tuff time in small school TAPPS.

they had a good kicker!

There are two names missing. Is there a reason why #15, Shane Johnson, QB is not listed? Nine different players caught passes but no Marcellus Johnson listed? Did they hold Johnson, as an insurance policy, knowing that there were only two QB's available. Jermaine Givens played a lot and I like that kid. I thought LU was set, at RB, with Walker and Wanza but add two more names to the rotation,Cole Starnes and Derrien Randle.

unlike texas college and the baconettes, Bethel had good size and looked like they had played football before. texas college would have a tuff time in small school TAPPS.

they had a good kicker!

Their number 14 QB was pretty stout and wasn't easy to bring down at times. The kicker absolutely had a leg. He easily hit a 55 yarder during halftime. Of course it wasn't game time and he was using that field goal holder thing. I wish they woulda had a couple more minutes at the end of halftime. He kept backing up. I bet he woulda tried 60 yards.

There are two names missing. Is there a reason why #15, Shane Johnson, QB is not listed? Nine different players caught passes but no Marcellus Johnson listed? Did they hold Johnson, as an insurance policy, knowing that there were only two QB's available. Jermaine Givens played a lot and I like that kid. I thought LU was set, at RB, with Walker and Wanza but add two more names to the rotation,Cole Starnes and Derrien Randle.

shane johnson-bum ankle

Marcellus johnson-pulled hamstring

I watched the ESPN replay and a few things stood out to me. I like the hustle of #10, it seems that LU has several DL players that just get after it, and I don't think that LU had any problem replacing all those secondary starters. I thought the secondary looked pretty good. On the offensive side, I like Hoy going inside and completing passes. I like that #81, Eric Pizzaro and did Zae Giles play? The RB's are solid and 3 or 4 deep. It looks like the OL has the starting 5 but also 3 or 4 others who will probably see a lot of action.

All in all, with the exception of the A&M game, I think that LU is going to be a handful to deal with and has a good chance of winning the conference.

That one bad pass by Hoy that was intercepted has me a little concerned. Hopefully he was just rusty and he doesn’t make that kind of mistake again in important games.
If it's the one I'm thinking of over the middle, the tight end was interfered with/knocked off his route and it wasn't called. The ball was thrown where he would've been if not redirected.

Everybody knows that I am a big Schultz fan. It just seemed to me that the team was organized and motivated to play. I was there for the last 5 Woodard years and it just feels different.

I agree. The combination of Schultz and Marco has brought some discipline and motivation to build this program. There will be mistakes but I believe they are on the right track.

I watched the ESPN replay and a few things stood out to me. I like the hustle of #10, it seems that LU has several DL players that just get after it, and I don't think that LU had any problem replacing all those secondary starters. I thought the secondary looked pretty good. On the offensive side, I like Hoy going inside and completing passes. I like that #81, Eric Pizzaro and did Zae Giles play? The RB's are solid and 3 or 4 deep. It looks like the OL has the starting 5 but also 3 or 4 others who will probably see a lot of action.

All in all, with the exception of the A&M game, I think that LU is going to be a handful to deal with and has a good chance of winning the conference.

Actually agree with you on most of this. Was pleased that we through the ball more but not all that thrilled that almost all the passes were dink & dump. Definitely not ready to break open the champagne. If we start the season 5-1 (or even 4-2 depending on how we look) then I'll start thinking maybe Dulz is on to something.