New coach thread

lu cards

I am not sure where you think Marco gets the money. So I suggest you step up and donate it. Someone as smart as you surely has made millions.

Season ticket holder for 3 sports.cardinal club member and have tailgate spot.you do the math.i also donate to help keep this site going.i put my $$$ in this program and expect more.

The contract extension was a dumb ( or rookie) move by Born. He got extended for a 7-5 season, and yes we made the playoffs. It wasn’t a 10-2 season or a conference championship, it was 7-4 and a playoff loss season. If Shultz is our Coach next season, this could hurt us for years to come. We are falling fast and I know we have had injuries, but so has everybody else. At the end of the season there has to be a change. If we don’t, recruiting will suffer. Who would want to play for this staff? Can you imagine if we had recruits on the sidelines last night. What an embarrassment! Born extended Shultz so he needs to fix it before it can’t be fixed. 4 passes in the first half for a Division 1 program that was playing from behind is unbelievable. Remember that trust the process thing Schultz used to say, I wonder if this is part of the process. By the way, once this season is over, we will still have the same position problems.

The contract extension was a dumb ( or rookie) move by Born. He got extended for a 7-5 season, and yes we made the playoffs. It wasn’t a 10-2 season or a conference championship, it was 7-4 and a playoff loss season. If Shultz is our Coach next season, this could hurt us for years to come.

I agree with LU17. The final nail could be the McNeese game. As much as I hate to say it, McNeese could come to town and slam LU. I don't see how Marco can let this go another year.

The contract extension was a dumb ( or rookie) move by Born. He got extended for a 7-5 season, and yes we made the playoffs. It wasn’t a 10-2 season or a conference championship, it was 7-4 and a playoff loss season. If Shultz is our Coach next season, this could hurt us for years to come. We are falling fast and I know we have had injuries, but so has everybody else. At the end of the season there has to be a change. If we don’t, recruiting will suffer. Who would want to play for this staff? Can you imagine if we had recruits on the sidelines last night. What an embarrassment! Born extended Shultz so he needs to fix it before it can’t be fixed. 4 passes in the first half for a Division 1 program that was playing from behind is unbelievable. Remember that trust the process thing Schultz used to say, I wonder if this is part of the process. By the way, once this season is over, we will still have the same position problems.

Agree totally. I doubt our admin has the balls to make a change. I thought last year that it was more luck than anything. Conference was down, and it appears to be down again this year. The longer we wait to make a change...we’ll, just prolongs our agony.

I agree with LU17. The final nail could be the McNeese game. As much as I hate to say it, McNeese could come to town and slam LU. I don't see how Marco can let this go another year.

I hate to say it but I may actually (quietly) pull for McNeese. We will never recruit talented qb’s and wideouts with this pop warner offense

While I agree the contract extension was a bad idea, it was business as usual for LU sports. Remember Knight got an extension after getting to the NCAA with Rocoforte's recruits, Woodard got an extension that wasn't earned, Price got an extension on what real basis. IMO an extension says you didn't get the origianl contract done right. Not sure how much of Schultz extension was really on Born.

puddin tane

Re: New coach thread

I doubt seriously that Schitz and his band of morons get canned this year. we got another season of this crap...

I think we'll lose to HBU, but if they put a total beat down on us, Schitz could be in trouble..

Lord, I hate this speculation because there are a lot of jobs, on the line, and, if Schultz goes, you know what will happen, with the current staff.

The ongoing season long lack of production, on the offensive side, is such a glaring coaching weakness, and the inability to recruit and develop QB talent is on the HC. It's just not working and it doesn't look to get any better. I just can't see Marco letting this go for another year.

UIW got lucky or got realistic, when Kingsbury left Tech, which made Eric Morris available. Arkansas just fired it's HC and, in all probability, has exposed its OC, Joe Craddick, and others, to the job market. if Schultz goes, I would think this would be some place to start.

Edited by Dracula

I wonder if Todd Dodge would come home and take over - he could bring his son with him to run the offense. Briles is a bad idea, in my opinion - too much baggage and doesn't seem to have learned his lesson about skirting the rules. I'm not sure how much more the community is going to tolerate of the endless mediocrity of the football program. Another year of this garbage and we may be very near losing the program again - you can't just keep throwing money at something that isn't successful and isn't supported by the community and alumni.

I guess it's safe to say I won't be cooking up crow anytime soon, unlike what Dracula predicted at the start of the season!!!

I believe when Pat Knight was fired someone stepped up with money to buy out his contract. Where's LU going to get the money to buy out Schultz's contract? He's not going anywhere, he'll be the coach next year.

Also, Born just extended Schultz's contract in January, so firing him so soon would make Born look bad. IMHO we'll see Schultz on the sidelines next year and they'll blame this season on injuries and say "Hey, we beat SHSU then our QBs went down with injuries!"

I wonder if Todd Dodge would come home and take over - he could bring his son with him to run the offense. Briles is a bad idea, in my opinion - too much baggage and doesn't seem to have learned his lesson about skirting the rules. I'm not sure how much more the community is going to tolerate of the endless mediocrity of the football program. Another year of this garbage and we may be very near losing the program again - you can't just keep throwing money at something that isn't successful and isn't supported by the community and alumni.

I guess it's safe to say I won't be cooking up crow anytime soon, unlike what Dracula predicted at the start of the season!!!

I agree. I'm the one eating the crow this year and I 've got to tell you I hate it. There just has to be more, to the story, than just injuries, to blame for what turned into, and endless backslide of offensive planning mediocrity. It's not on the players but on the staff.

Last year Dodd was OC and this year, Edmondson? The last two weeks will tell the tale. After weeks, of just dreadful offensive production, I don't think anything will magically change. Something has to give, someone has to go.

If you think about, Lamar has not had a starting QB that was recruited out of high school and was developed. Hoy & Colbert were FBS transfers and the rest came out of JUCOs. Looking at the other SLC starting QBs, half are transfers. I expect Lamar to have a transfer starting next year.

I agree. I'm the one eating the crow this year and I 've got to tell you I hate it. There just has to be more, to the story, than just injuries, to blame for what turned into, and endless backslide of offensive planning mediocrity. It's not on the players but on the staff.

Last year Dodd was OC and this year, Edmondson? The last two weeks will tell the tale. After weeks, of just dreadful offensive production, I don't think anything will magically change. Something has to give, someone has to go.

That’s a great idea, hire a coach that was a bust at the college (North Texas) level.

I would like to hire a very successful Div. II coach or a top assistant off a staff that just got canned ( like Arkansas).

But the first criteria is the coach wants to come to Lamar.

But I have a feeling we will be looking for a men’s basketball coach before we get a new football coach.

If you think about, Lamar has not had a starting QB that was recruited out of high school and was developed. Hoy & Colbert were FBS transfers and the rest came out of JUCOs. Looking at the other SLC starting QBs, half are transfers. I expect Lamar to have a transfer starting next year.

caleb berry is the only one I can think of since we brought football back (prewitt got some starts)

bevil, mossakowski, minden, Earp, Colbert, hoy,

makes you realize how good Caleb Berry was

That’s a great idea, hire a coach that was a bust at the college (North Texas) level.

I would like to hire a very successful Div. II coach or a top assistant off a staff that just got canned ( like Arkansas).

But the first criteria is the coach wants to come to Lamar.

But I have a feeling we will be looking for a men’s basketball coach before we get a new football coach.

confusing...youd hire an assistant off a team that lost every conference game they coached in?

0-14?

Another post mentioned the OC. I remember when Woodard had his DC from tech (a team that played no defense). Our OC came from high school, before that ? Rice?? A real offensive juggernaut, them owls....

I believe when Pat Knight was fired someone stepped up with money to buy out his contract. Where's LU going to get the money to buy out Schultz's contract? He's not going anywhere, he'll be the coach next year.

Also, Born just extended Schultz's contract in January, so firing him so soon would make Born look bad. IMHO we'll see Schultz on the sidelines next year and they'll blame this season on injuries and say "Hey, we beat SHSU then our QBs went down with injuries!"

I don’t think money would be an issue. If the right people want him gone then money would be available. To me, the biggest issue is the stupid extension we gave him. No way Born is going to want to admit his mistake.