Quick note on Schultz...

Mike

“Shultz didn’t even show his face to the team....Woodard at least wanted the boys to hear it from him and shake each players hands. ALL the players clapped and thanked the AD after the announcement. That shit should get out there just to show how terrible it has been.”

This was a text I received from a players dad after the news broke today. Pretty low class not bother showing up to speak to your players. They deserve better.

Woodard handled his firing about as good as anyone could in that situation. He even held a press conference when the then AD was too chicken s**t to publicly address it. The fact that Shultz didn’t speak with the team then their reaction upon hearing the news just goes to show you how toxic the locker room was.

Woodard was a people person. He would talk football with anybody and was very active in promoting LU football. Schultz was the exact opposite. It should not surprise anyone that Schultz treated his players like that. In his head, he probably blames them for him losing his job.

For what it’s worth, heard the same thing from probably a different source (one of the players).
Confirmed and yes, the players were very happy. In the end of year meeting he said thanks to the seniors and you can go then he met with the team. Basically pack your sh!t and hit the road and goodbye. He was not liked at all and it got worse towards the end. Hopefully Lawson and Wells reconsider. I know several kid's transfer/grad transfer decision were on the line with the coaching situation. Who is hired will be big. Edited by spoonbill

Woodard was a people person. He would talk football with anybody and was very active in promoting LU football. Schultz was the exact opposite. It should not surprise anyone that Schultz treated his players like that. In his head, he probably blames them for him losing his job.

I can attest to the first half of this comment. Woodard was a friend of this site and would gladly give out information if we asked. Some information he asked to keep out of public for a certain amount of time and I did...and much of the info I was able to get from him was simply through a Twitter DM. Schultz wanted no part of that. When he was hired I tried to get an interview with him via email where he could do on it whenever he got time (something else I had done with Woodard) and he said we needed to put in a formal request via the media relations department. Took them for like 6 weeks to finally got one approved and he only answered about half of the questions. After the season I tried to get a season wrap up interview in the same manner and it was all crickets on that side.

I can attest to the first half of this comment. Woodard was a friend of this site and would gladly give out information if we asked. Some information he asked to keep out of public for a certain amount of time and I did...and much of the info I was able to get from him was simply through a Twitter DM. Schultz wanted no part of that. When he was hired I tried to get an interview with him via email where he could do on it whenever he got time (something else I had done with Woodard) and he said we needed to put in a formal request via the media relations department. Took them for like 6 weeks to finally got one approved and he only answered about half of the questions. After the season I tried to get a season wrap up interview in the same manner and it was all crickets on that side.

Most coaches I've seen who are very secretive are that way because they are insecure--not sure they're actually good enough. Some secrets need to be kept but a confident coach knows what to keep a secret and what to share. Woodard did, Schultz didn't. I'm old enough to remember when Tommy Alphabet (that's a sports writer in Durham told me they called him) replaced Pat Foster. went from open practices to guards at the door. Guess we didn't want people to know that our base defenses were box-and-one and triangle-and-two.

Just read the Twitter Micah Mccombs posted. That just burns me up reading that. I’ll bet if that hit the airwaves, Schultz stay would have even shorter than it was. I only know what was posted, but I’m guessing the university is glad to be reading a twitter post rather than hearing it from his attorney. I am not surprised by Shultz actions. He seems like a, if you can’t benefit me then get the F outta here, kind of guy.

Just read the Twitter Micah Mccombs posted. That just burns me up reading that. I’ll bet if that hit the airwaves, Schultz stay would have even shorter than it was. I only know what was posted, but I’m guessing the university is glad to be reading a twitter post rather than hearing it from his attorney. I am not surprised by Shultz actions. He seems like a, if you can’t benefit me then get the F outta here, kind of guy.

I wish I had known about this stuff months ago. it would have been pitchforks and tar, then, and not now.

That’s insane if that is true about McCombs...and if so it’s no wonder there were rumors he’d lost the locker room that have seemed to have been confirmed with this fallout. Things like this could be viewed as something you could be terminated for cause for. That’s always a big deal in athletics due to the sometimes large buyouts in contracts.