***Lamar Football Coaching Search***

KABrother88

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you go for Dodge and he keeps most of the coaches already at LU. The DC and some of the position coaches might work. Unless he planned to be the OC as well he probably would need to find one.

I'll go for anything that brings wins.

But, the last three years, the PPG for and against have been:

2017 - 22.4 / 35.6

2018 - 30.9 / 28.3

2019 - 22.1 / 31.7

That's 26 PPG scored and >32 PPG against.

Something tells me all those coaches have those resumes updated and have their houses already on the market. They know the performance the last 3 years wasn't up to snuff.

Plus, if Dodge is taking over, I'm sure he'll have carte blanc to hire anyone he needs and a pretty significant pool to pay them with.

That's why I suggested he might keep the coaches on the defensive side. It would also potentially help with this first year of recruiting. Personally that would be my main concern in hiring a high school coach even one that has had some college experience. There is not much time to evaluate what kind of players you need to recruit immediately. A HC at a D-2 school at least probably has some recruits identified for replacing what he would be loosing this year. Might not be what you need for FCS but it is a little more of a start.

We need a proven winner at the college level. Just heard the old Montana coach is avail. He had a winning record at Montana and Colorado school of mines. Montana had the opportunity to go back to one of the winningest coaches in their history. Hell no to dodge, dim whitten, or peveto. All losers in college Edited by LUFAN

Okay, my take on the matter...

On Art Briles:

Not just "no" but "hell no" on Briles.

He's a good coach, but he'll hurt the university. If you had a teenage daughter, would you want her attending a college where Art Briles is an authority figure? If he had a great first two seasons, (we'll say he goes 18-7, makes the playoffs both years and even wins a playoff game), would the success be worth the NATIONAL bad publicity?

On Applewhite and Fedora:

While there's no stink on them like Briles, their sights are on bigger jobs than that. They'd take another year as a coordinator over a minimum of 3 years rebuilding an FCS program before they'd get another shot to have the Fox40 whistle around their neck.

Of coaches that are potential candidates (who would at least take the phone call and probably interview):

- Joey McGuire (AHC and recruiting coordinator at Baylor; former HC at Cedar Hill)

- Corby Meekins (Receivers coach at Texas; former HC at (Spring) Westfield HS)

- Craig Stump (former West Brook HC and current coach at Atascocita HS)

- Marquel Blackwell (Co-OC at Houston, resume screams that he's just a flat good coach who HCs find a spot for)

- Jesse Burleson (HC at Hardin-Simmons; has a line coach pedigree)

Other thoughts:

I'd include Chad Morris, but his success as an OC will get him 5x the salary Lamar is willing to pay and his buyout is big enough that he doesn't have to work the rest of his life, so he'd really have to be hungry to start at the bottom to take the job.

Craig Stump would be one of the best "pluck a HS head coach" options- knows Beaumont as well as anyone. The only downside to Stump- he probably doesn't have a huge Rolodex, so to speak, of guys he can call to fill out his staff.

Now, the totally out-of-the-box idea...

Todd Freakin' Dodge:

- insanely successful high school HC

- probably has a huge desire to get a second shot as a college HC

- would field the call if boosters promised to write the checks to fully guarantee his contract and pay his assistants strong salaries

- and he's a Golden Triangle native

Applewhite is an analyst at Bama, long way away from any FBS HC offer. Think I’d prefer Stump over Dodge. Dodge already proved he could lose at D1

Dracula are you serious. We haven’t been 15-11 ever lol. Applewhite was 8-5 his second full year. He improved year over year unlike any of our current coaches. He was bowl eligible both full years he coached again unlike us. Ah screw it lets get stump. He is awesome at ahs.

Dracula are you serious. We haven’t been 15-11 ever lol. Applewhite was 8-5 his second full year. He improved year over year unlike any of our current coaches. He was bowl eligible both full years he coached again unlike us. Ah screw it lets get stump. He is awesome at ahs.

UT HC ,Tom Herman, is letting go some asst's and re-assigning others, such as Tim Beck, his OC. There is an article, on the Burnt Orange Nation website, https://www.burntorangenation.com/2019/12/1/20991016/texas-longhorns-offensive-coordinator-candidates, that could add a few names to the Big Red Insider Search.

The article lists four names. Two, of these coaches, Scott Carey and Stephen Lee, really don't have a chance, in hell, of jumping, from their current classifications, to the Big 12, but they sure check a lot of boxes for LU

and the SLC. Scott Carey,https://tarletonsports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/scott-carey/508, and Stephen Lee, https://cruathletics.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/stephen-lee/476, work

in smaller classifications, they are successful OC's, both recruit in Central Texas, and both work in programs that make a habit of getting into their post season tournaments. Neither has any baggage, to worry about, and both are

relatively young. Another name to consider is BILLY RIEBOCK. https://lionathletics.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/billy-riebock/500 He is the current OC/ QB coach, at Texas A&M- Commerce and he checks a lot of LU

and SLC boxes, as well.

Edited by Dracula

Since I really know nothing about how this will really work, my question is does Born ask coaches to apply or do they simply post the job on some site and wait until somebody applies? What's the purpose of the consultant? Still seems like Born should have somebody in mind to start with and if this isn't to be a failed recruiting year LU needs to hire somebody in the next couple of weeks.

Since I really know nothing about how this will really work, my question is does Born ask coaches to apply or do they simply post the job on some site and wait until somebody applies? What's the purpose of the consultant? Still seems like Born should have somebody in mind to start with and if this isn't to be a failed recruiting year LU needs to hire somebody in the next couple of weeks.

My guess, Born has 1-3 people in mind. Also, my guess, job is somehow posted so anyone can apply. If Born’s guy doesn’t apply then he probably would call them and ask them to apply. Committee will likely be tasked with whittling Dow applicant list to a manageable number. Born and committee will decide on a few names to interview, then make an offer. I’ve hard that someone will be hired by 12/15

A lot of times a new hire won’t even officially apply for the position until an agreement is made. News outlets are always trying to get info and can get an applicant list based off of a Freedom of Information request. Many coaches don’t want their current employer knowing they are exploring other options so they will communicate with the AD before applying.

If I understand the consultant business correctly, basically what they do is reach out to coaches or representatives for coaches to gauge interest level and what it would take financially, then they bring this information back to the AD. Schools will use these consulting firms since they will have a bigger Rolodex so to speak and can make contact with more coaches quicker than just the AD.

I hope Born is able to make a great hire. We need life pumped into the program with a great coach. We need to get the program going by hiring the right person even if he leaves after 4-5 years for a bigger job. Then we need to follow that up with another great hire. If we do that, then the program will be where we all want to be after 8-10 years and hopefully we are in a position to make a move up in conferences. That should be Born's game plan. Do the right thing Marco and hire a great up and comer coach who has the fire in his gut and the tenacity to build a solid championship program.