***Lamar Football Coaching Search***

KABrother88

This is very frustrating. We fired Mike Shultz over two weeks ago and we still don't have a coach. Early signing period is almost a week away - so what is Marco Born thinking? If he has any sense he'll hire Art Briles and get this thing going. Geez..... I don't even know if Briles interviewed but I'm willing to bet he has.

Why do y'all want Art Briles- a man who, while a successful coach, not a single FBS, FCS, D-2, or D-3 school would touch? Every time his name was floated, the protests started before the figurative ink was dry on the first tweet about it.

And again, I say- given how Walter Umphrey is connected to both the Lamar and Baylor programs, if Art's hands were clean of the whole "lack of institutional control that led to a rape culture" situation, we would have heard of him coming in for an interview.

I can say with 100% certainty- if I had a teenage daughter, I wouldn't allow her to consider Lamar for college (even if it was free) and I would not attend a single game while Briles was the HFC. He might be able to win over others with contrition and scoreboard success, but not me.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have your daughter transfer to another university? Seriously? I think you're being overly dramatic. What happened at Baylor will never occur again under Briles' watch. It just wouldn't. Briles made mistakes but why did Baylor pay him $15 million?

Briles was paid $15M to not sue the school... because it's easier to pay a settlement than to string it out and ALL THE DIRTY LAUNDRY on both sides gets aired and the judge potentially saying they had to pay out his whole contract and legal fees. (This is Texas, the judge can make the losing party pay both sides' legal fees and, ummm, Baylor's lawyers aren't cheap- which could run into the millions on top of everything else)

Why do y'all want Art Briles- a man who, while a successful coach, not a single FBS, FCS, D-2, or D-3 school would touch? Every time his name was floated, the protests started before the figurative ink was dry on the first tweet about it.

And again, I say- given how Walter Umphrey is connected to both the Lamar and Baylor programs, if Art's hands were clean of the whole "lack of institutional control that led to a rape culture" situation, we would have heard of him coming in for an interview.

I can say with 100% certainty- if I had a teenage daughter, I wouldn't allow her to consider Lamar for college (even if it was free) and I would not attend a single game while Briles was the HFC. He might be able to win over others with contrition and scoreboard success, but not me.

Good for you dude! But we've moved on from that - we're talking about Walden now.

Walden sounds like a great offensive coach but does he have enough coaching contacts to put together a good staff.

His time at Sul Ross and ETBU should give him more than enough contacts.

The more I read about this guy, the more I think he'd be a great hire... just need to find him a DC who can keep the opposition under 50. Putting up big offensive numbers is nice and will get kids in to notice to program (everyone notices when a program is putting up 50 PPG)... but gotta get an energy behind slowing down the guys with their backs to the refinery.

Are you going to go out on a limb and say who you want? Walden, Beck, Briles, Morris, none of the above. (Although, I haven't heard Morris is even in the mix).

altho it doesn’t fit with Dracs’s age requirements.... I would hire ....

ME!!!

and we’re passing...hell, I might not even have a punter on the team..screw it, no place kicker either, we’re going for two!

His time at Sul Ross and ETBU should give him more than enough contacts.

The more I read about this guy, the more I think he'd be a great hire... just need to find him a DC who can keep the opposition under 50. Putting up big offensive numbers is nice and will get kids in to notice to program (everyone notices when a program is putting up 50 PPG)... but gotta get an energy behind slowing down the guys with their backs to the refinery.

Agree. offense will put butts in the seats, but defense wins championships. Lack of a great defense is what has kept the Big 12 from being "the power conference". I would also say media conference bias has an effect also. The potential problem with high tempo offenses is they leave their defense on the field too much.

Agree. offense will put butts in the seats, but defense wins championships. Lack of a great defense is what has kept the Big 12 from being "the power conference". I would also say media conference bias has an effect also. The potential problem with high tempo offenses is they leave their defense on the field too much.

Yup. Don't care if we put 30 or 50 on the scoreboard... don't care if we throw the ball 5 or 50 times per game.... just hold the other team to less AND the recruits will notice.

No one ever said being a Cornhuskers Football fan was boring in the 90s... and they ran the ball 60+ times per game.... okay, more like 50 (since they kept the clock running and shortened the game while scoring 40-50 weekly).

Oh yeah, and the argument of "I wanna throw the ball a lot!" sucks... throwing for the sake of throwing is like the Mike Newell days of Lamar Basketball- he put up points and broke records, but we never even got a sniff of the NIT. I'd rather go 25-5 winning games 66-60 (a la John Cheney at Temple) than lose them 123-122.

Edited by TexGator

altho it doesn’t fit with Dracs’s age requirements.... I would hire ....

ME!!!

and we’re passing...hell, I might not even have a punter on the team..screw it, no place kicker either, we’re going for two!

Dan Gresham has enough trouble with names, as it is, but Puddin "Chunkin Tater" Tane has a Chris Berman kind of vibe to it. That's catchy, I like it. " Chunkin Tater " goes for two. Back, back, back, back,back, "Chunkin Tater Tane tosses a go fer. I can see Sports Center Puddin "Chunkin Tater" Tane highlights.

Our low tempo offense left the defense on the field too much. And, if you score, it doesn’t matter. How long the damn defense is on the field.

Looks like we have our man...San Diego St. QB coach Blane Morgan

http:// https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-lamar-to-hire-fbs-assistant-as-head-coach/

To be honest, By what I am reading, I'm not exactly blown away nor am I heading for the cellar, but what the hell do I know. Welcome to LU Coach Morgan. Sorry, Puddin "Chunkin Tater" Tane, maybe next time.

Well, I hope I find out why Walden didn't get the job. Was it his decision or Born's. I would really like to know. I predict the young man is going to do great things. Based on reading Morgan's Bio, I am encouraged but not to the level I was about Walden.

DEAD LAST in the Mountain West in scoring offense. 11th out of 12 in passing offense. I guess Dracula is right, coming here must be slumming if all we can get is the worst OC in the Mountain West. But, sounds like he’s a good guy.

Yup. Don't care if we put 30 or 50 on the scoreboard... don't care if we throw the ball 5 or 50 times per game.... just hold the other team to less AND the recruits will notice.

No one ever said being a Cornhuskers Football fan was boring in the 90s... and they ran the ball 60+ times per game.... okay, more like 50 (since they kept the clock running and shortened the game while scoring 40-50 weekly).

Oh yeah, and the argument of "I wanna throw the ball a lot!" sucks... throwing for the sake of throwing is like the Mike Newell days of Lamar Basketball- he put up points and broke records, but we never even got a sniff of the NIT. I'd rather go 25-5 winning games 66-60 (a la John Cheney at Temple) than lose them 123-122.

Idk, doesn't seem like too bad a resume' to me: "Newell has been a head coach at the University of West Alabama, the University of Arkansas Monticello (UAM), Lamar University, and the University of Arkansas Little Rock (UALR). During his stint at these NCAA Division 1 and 2 programs, he has racked up 320 total wins, has seven 20 win seasons, has seven NCAA/NIT appearances, one Final Four Appearance (NIT), four regular season conference championships, three conference tournament championships, four coach of the year awards, one sweet 16 appearance (NCAA Division II, one regional final (NCAA-Division II) and produced seven 2,000-point scorers"