***Lamar Football Coaching Search***

KABrother88

Men’s Basketball game tonight. Marco usually attends, but was absent at Friday’s game versus Rice and not at the WBB game on Sunday against Denver. Wonder if he is laying low in public to avoid all the questions associated with the FB coaching hire. Will see if he shows tonight.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more I think about it, the more Walden intrigues me. Hopefully Born will do his due diligence and see who in the coaching community give him references. Hell, he might be a great OC choice for UT! He might be the next Joe Brady!!

Scott Walden needs to be the next Head Coach at Lamar, not someone that coached at Colorado School of Mines. Scott Walden as a 26 year old put together the most prolific offense in D3 College Football. Also as a 26 year old had a winning season in his first season. The ceiling is wide open with Walden but I think at least the floor is Eric Morris. It’s an experiment for Lamar but it’s not a bad one. If all else fails, we could bring in Brent Dearmon.

We are forgetting about stitt that coached at Montana. Guy was a good head coach for many years at Colorado school of mines. He had a bad go at Texas state but who doesn’t

The same can be said for retread coaches that LU tends to hire.

Short term Born will probably hire a good coach. My concern is can LU break the cycle of hiring multiple bad coaches for each good coach they hire? In both football and basketball they've been doing this for years, which kills support for the programs.

I would take either Beck or Walden based on what I know and have read, but my practical side tells me that Beck isn't coming to LU for $250k when he was making $800k at UT. Walden may be the next Lincoln Riley. I don't know that he will, but from what I have read, he may be just what I posted earlier, the young "fire in his gut" coach who comes to LU and the job is his launching pad to stardom!! If we get 4-5 great years with him, going his last 2-3 years deep into the FCS playoffs, then that is what I think we would all want. I think LU could put 15k+ fans in the stands in Frisco for a FCS championship game!!

Absolutely - well said. I'm really excited about this guy. Walden gets my vote!

Absolutely - well said. I'm really excited about this guy. Walden gets my vote!

Not only to me does Walden seem like the guy to get people in the stands but the guy to keep them there. Once Dodd left, there wasn’t a game where the stands weren’t 75% empty from the beginning of a game to the end durning the Schultz era.

Scott Walden needs to be the next Head Coach at Lamar, not someone that coached at Colorado School of Mines. Scott Walden as a 26 year old put together the most prolific offense in D3 College Football. Also as a 26 year old had a winning season in his first season. The ceiling is wide open with Walden but I think at least the floor is Eric Morris. It’s an experiment for Lamar but it’s not a bad one. If all else fails, we could bring in Brent Dearmon.

Cool, a couple of new names...I'd be fine with Morris. Dearmon, OC at a Big 12 school...would likely have to take a paycut, not gonna happen. Wait, I just checked he's "only" making $250,000. Would be a stretch but who knows. Kind of interesting the disparity of pay for assistant coaches at the FBS level: https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant (poor Aggies, they need a refund...lol)

Traylor may be run first, but he has not been a head coach at the college level. He had 2 powerhouse 4A state championship teams at Gilmer and he made deep runs in the playoffs pretty consistently during his time their. I think he can coach. Not saying that he was the best choice for LU, but we will see what he does at UTSA. We may have regrets.

I'm tired of run first. I want a tater chunker.

Are you going to go out on a limb and say who you want? Walden, Beck, Briles, Morris, none of the above. (Although, I haven't heard Morris is even in the mix).

I didn’t mean actual Morris, just a Morris like impact. I like Walden and I meant that his floor will be that he’s another Eric Morris.

Also, Michael Lawson's says he hasn't made a decision. Maybe the original reaction was just based on emotion and he wants to wait and see..?
They need to make a damn decision. Lawson was one of if not THE best defensive player on the team. Great news that he's reconsidering. The last two years we've wasted the skill position talent we've had on offense. Bring in someone who wants to chunk it. He needs to bring a QB with him btw. ;-)