***Lamar Football Coaching Search***

KABrother88

Why Riebock rather than Bailiff? No on Carey

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/11/27/16440130/david-bailiff-fired-rice-football

I'm too damn lazy and it's too early for typing but copy and paste is good.

Rice fired Bailiff after a disappointing 1-11 season, and will now look for a new coach in one of the unique jobs in the state of Texas.

Bailiff’s program has been on the descent since 2013. The team went 8-5 in 2014, but then 5-7 in 2015 and 3-9 in 2016.

The start to the 2017 season season was strange, with Hurricane Harvey leaving the program stranded and travel plans scuttled coming home from the season opener in Australia. What the hell were they doing in Australia?

The team’s only win of the season against a moribund UTEP squad, and a drubbing at the hands of cross-town Houston wasn’t a good look.

The two 10-win seasons in 2008 and 2013 were the first the program had had since 1949. The bowl berth in 2008, Bailiff’s second season, was only the second postseason berth since 1961.

It sounds like he coached Ladamian, too. We've been down that way past success road and, please, not again.

Born: May 26, 1958 (age 61 years), Dallas, TX I want a young one but don't we all?

Now it gets a little complicated. For the 2017 football season, Carthel is at Commerce, Bailiff is at Rice, Todd "hell no" Whidden is at Tarleton and his OC is Scott Carey. For the 2018 season, Carthel and his OC, Matt Storm, are still at Commerce, Bailiff, I don't know, and Todd"hell no" Whidden has been canned, for a 6-6, 2017 season and Scott Carey, the former OC, is now HC. In 2018, Carthel does his usual, at 10-3, but loses, in the second round to first year coach, Scott Carey, who guided Tarleton from a 6-6 record to a 12-1 record and a 3 game run into the playoffs. For the 2019 season, Cathel takes the HC job, at SLC SFA, and takes his OC, Matt Storm with him , which, as usual, decimates the then current football staff at SFA, which brings another name into LU consideration, local native and LU graduate, Kevin Barbay. More on that, later. Carthel's leaving TAM Commerce, opens the door for new HC David Bailiff and new OC Billy Riebock. Bailiff has a nice first season, 11-3, goes into the playoffs, where he upsets the #2 ranked Tarleton State and Scott Carey, who had just finished a 11-1 season.

Where does this coaching carousel leave us and what the hell does this have to do with the LU HC search?

David Bailiff is a "hell no." He started strong, at Rice but he faded and I am afraid that that is what he is.

Billy Riebock, Bailiffs current OC, is young and I just like his resume.

https://lionathletics.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/billy-riebock/500

Scott Carey, in his two seasons, at Tarleton, has gone 12-1 and 11-1, with two trips to the playoffs.

Kevin barbay https://sfajacks.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/kevin-barbay/318 Kevin is a local guy, who got caught up in the SFA coaching purge, when Carthel took over. He moved to Central Michigan football https://cmuchippewas.com/staff-directory/kevin-barbay/337 Central Michigan plays in the Mid American Conference. he sure checks a lot of boxes for LU.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/11/27/16440130/david-bailiff-fired-rice-football

Rice fired Bailiff after a disappointing 1-11 season, and will now look for a new coach in one of the unique jobs in the state of Texas.

Bailiff’s program has been on the descent since 2013. The team went 8-5 in 2014, but then 5-7 in 2015 and 3-9 in 2016.

The start to the 2017 season season was strange, with Hurricane Harvey leaving the program stranded and travel plans scuttled coming home from the season opener in Australia. What the hell were they doing in Australia?

The team’s only win of the season against a moribund UTEP squad, and a drubbing at the hands of cross-town Houston wasn’t a good look.

The two 10-win seasons in 2008 and 2013 were the first the program had had since 1949. The bowl berth in 2008, Bailiff’s second season, was only the second postseason berth since 1961.

It sounds like he coached Ladamian, too. We've been down that way past success road and, please, not again.

Born: May 26, 1958 (age 61 years), Dallas, TX I want a young one but don't we all?

Now it gets a little complicated. For the 2017 football season, Carthel is at Commerce, Bailiff is at Rice, Todd "hell no" Whidden is at Tarleton and his OC is Scott Carey. For the 2018 season, Carthel and his OC, Matt Storm, are still at Commerce, Bailiff, I don't know, and Todd"hell no" Whidden has been canned, for a 6-6, 2017 season and Scott Carey, the former OC, is now HC. In 2018, Carthel does his usual, at 10-3, but loses, in the second round to first year coach, Scott Carey, who guided Tarleton from a 6-6 record to a 12-1 record and a 3 game run into the playoffs. For the 2019 season, Cathel takes the HC job, at SLC SFA, and takes his OC, Matt Storm with him , which, as usual, decimates the then current football staff at SFA, which brings another name into LU consideration, local native and LU graduate, Kevin Barbay. More on that, later. Carthel's leaving TAM Commerce, opens the door for new HC David Bailiff and new OC Billy Riebock. Bailiff has a nice first season, 11-3, goes into the playoffs, where he upsets the #2 ranked Tarleton State and Scott Carey, who had just finished a 11-1 season.

Where does this coaching carousel leave us and what the hell does this have to do with the LU HC search?

David Bailiff is a "hell no." He started strong, at Rice but he faded and I am afraid that that is what he is.

Scott Carey, in his two seasons, at Tarleton, has gone 12-1 and 11-1, with two trips to the playoffs.

Kevin barbay https://sfajacks.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/kevin-barbay/318 Kevin is a local guy, who got caught up in the SFA coaching purge, when Carthel took over. He moved to Central Michigan football https://cmuchippewas.com/staff-directory/kevin-barbay/337 Central Michigan plays in the Mid American Conference. he sure checks a lot of boxes for LU.

I thought Barbary went to Grambling? Isn’t he the guy that as his only head coaching experience was 0-21 at Warren HS? Too big of a chance for me. We need someone with head coaching experience and has won. We don’t have time for some whipper snappers to learn on the job.

I thought Barbary went to Grambling? Isn’t he the guy that as his only head coaching experience was 0-21 at Warren HS? Too big of a chance for me. We need someone with head coaching experience and has won. We don’t have time for some whipper snappers to learn on the job.

A lot has changed since Barbays time at Warren. He attempted to run a sophisticated offense there with limited athletes and it obviously didn't work out. He since was on staff at Lamar under Woodard and responsible for many of the higher level recruits on those teams, Kade Harrington being one. He left LU and has been on staff at Colorado State, Florida and now Central Michigan under Jim McElwain. He may not be the choice for Lamar but I wouldn't use his time at a 2A high school 15 years ago as my gauge.

Mike/KABrother88, you guys and maybe Coach, as far as I know, are the best bet for inside info. Do you have other names of candidates who have or are scheduled to interview and are you at liberty to share with peons here on the board?

I guess nobody knows or is at liberty to say. i guess we will have to wait until the new coach is announced or Footballscoop puts out some info.

This is very frustrating. We fired Mike Shultz over two weeks ago and we still don't have a coach. Early signing period is almost a week away - so what is Marco Born thinking? If he has any sense he'll hire Art Briles and get this thing going. Geez..... I don't even know if Briles interviewed but I'm willing to bet he has.

This is very frustrating. We fired Mike Shultz over two weeks ago and we still don't have a coach. Early signing period is almost a week away - so what is Marco Born thinking? If he has any sense he'll hire Art Briles and get this thing going. Geez..... I don't even know if Briles interviewed but I'm willing to bet he has.

Agreed

We wanted Schultz gone and he's gone, everything else is gravy. Even with Schultz, in my opinion, a successful early signing period was a dead issue. Let them take their time and pray they get it right. Give the new coach time to assemble his staff and hit the road recruiting. Everything else is gravy. Edited by Dracula

I am all for getting a great coach, and no one is going to dispute that Briles doesn't have a winning track record. I am an a Lamar Alum and proud of my university. If Briles were to be hired as coach and my daughter was attending LU, I believe that I would have her transfer to another university. To say that he did not know that players from his team were committing sexual assault's is not believable with the number of them (whether it was 18 or 51 or somewhere in between). There were too damn many for there to not be chatter around the Baylor campus.

We wanted Schultz gone and he's gone, everything else is gravy. Even with Schultz, in my opinion, a successful early signing period was a dead issue. Let them take their time and pray they get it right. Give the new coach time to assemble his staff and hit the road recruiting. Everything else is gravy.

Drac, with words of wisdom!

I am all for getting a great coach, and no one is going to dispute that Briles doesn't have a winning track record. I am an a Lamar Alum and proud of my university. If Briles were to be hired as coach and my daughter was attending LU, I believe that I would have her transfer to another university. To say that he did not know that players from his team were committing sexual assault's is not believable with the number of them (whether it was 18 or 51 or somewhere in between). There were too damn many for there to not be chatter around the Baylor campus.

yup

Mike/KABrother88, you guys and maybe Coach, as far as I know, are the best bet for inside info. Do you have other names of candidates who have or are scheduled to interview and are you at liberty to share with peons here on the board?

At best I’m a peon with the rest of the board here. The connections I had previously are not longer associated with Lamar. I haven’t had time to be as involved as I once was anyways, as evidenced by my lack of updating with the recruiting efforts. If I were to hear something however I would share it here.

Ok, ur confusing me. Carey is not HC at Tarleton. My head is spinning, lol

At best I’m a peon with the rest of the board here. The connections I had previously are not longer associated with Lamar. I haven’t had time to be as involved as I once was anyways, as evidenced by my lack of updating with the recruiting efforts. If I were to hear something however I would share it here.

I understand busy, I have been the same for the last few years. We do (well I do for sure) miss the info that you had time to dig up and provide for us in the past.

As per some friends in the coaching realm, I’ve heard that it’s highly rumored that Tim Beck will be interviewing.

Which Tim Beck? I’m assuming it’s the one from UT that just got demoted from OC to who knows what. The other Tim Beck is the long time D2 coach at Pittsburgh State that just resigned last month.

Have your daughter transfer to another university? Seriously? I think you're being overly dramatic. What happened at Baylor will never occur again under Briles' watch. It just wouldn't. Briles made mistakes but why did Baylor pay him $15 million?

Have your daughter transfer to another university? Seriously? I think you're being overly dramatic. What happened at Baylor will never occur again under Briles' watch. It just wouldn't. Briles made mistakes but why did Baylor pay him $15 million?

That's the 15 million dollar question. Ladybird joined the forum, made one post, and then went dark. She/he said it was to make she/he go away.