***Lamar Football Coaching Search***

KABrother88

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt there will be much if any information until the HC is chosen. My personal hope is that Born has someone in mind already and the "search" is to meet the formal guidelines. I also hope LU is willing to pay enough to get a proven coach with a winning record. A successful D2 coach might be the best bet.

I doubt there will be much if any information until the HC is chosen. My personal hope is that Born has someone in mind already and the "search" is to meet the formal guidelines. I also hope LU is willing to pay enough to get a proven coach with a winning record. A successful D2 coach might be the best bet.

I seriously doubt he’s going to just hire someone. There will be some sort of search to see who all is interested. Anything less would be a mistake.

To clarify the situation, all coaches and their agents must go thru the search firm to be considered and of this evening Lamar has not got a list of specific candidates/ inquiries. Earliest that will happen will be Monday, if then. All candidates that apply will be kept confidential since some do not want their current employer to know that they maybe looking to leave and jeapordize their current job.

I was told that the search firm, which is one of the leading companies that work with schools, felt that Lamar will get a lot of interest due to the location (Texas), the school, and the projected pay.

Born has also stated they are willing to hire D2 head coaches, D1 Assistant coaches, or high school head coaches - whomever is perceived as the best for the job.

He probably makes significantly more money as an analyst at Alabama compared to what Lamar would offer to him as a HC. Do you think there are any alumni willing to pony up the difference?
he would make a good one or Lee Fedora former nc head cosch with Texas coach not in favor of d2 coach this league is won by D1 transfer an and Jc players

Enough with the re-treads!

No Fedora nor Applewhites!

D2 coach seems to be working at SFA. They've passed us in just one year. i bet they'll be at the top soon.

Get Whitten form Tarleton

This guy was the OC at LU from 2010/11 what happened?

exceptional D2 coach with an eye popping resume.

https://sfajacks.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/colby-carthel/375

This guy was the OC at LU from 2010/11 what happened?

exceptional D2 coach with an eye popping resume.

https://sfajacks.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/colby-carthel/375

Huh? Oh, yeah... forgot that Whitten had bounced around so much.

He wouldn't be a bad pick to me. Yes, he coached at Sam Houston for a couple of years, but he's been successful at Tarleton

Edited by TexGator

Okay, my take on the matter...

On Art Briles:

Not just "no" but "hell no" on Briles.

He's a good coach, but he'll hurt the university. If you had a teenage daughter, would you want her attending a college where Art Briles is an authority figure? If he had a great first two seasons, (we'll say he goes 18-7, makes the playoffs both years and even wins a playoff game), would the success be worth the NATIONAL bad publicity?

On Applewhite and Fedora:

While there's no stink on them like Briles, their sights are on bigger jobs than that. They'd take another year as a coordinator over a minimum of 3 years rebuilding an FCS program before they'd get another shot to have the Fox40 whistle around their neck.

Of coaches that are potential candidates (who would at least take the phone call and probably interview):

- Joey McGuire (AHC and recruiting coordinator at Baylor; former HC at Cedar Hill)

- Corby Meekins (Receivers coach at Texas; former HC at (Spring) Westfield HS)

- Craig Stump (former West Brook HC and current coach at Atascocita HS)

- Marquel Blackwell (Co-OC at Houston, resume screams that he's just a flat good coach who HCs find a spot for)

- Jesse Burleson (HC at Hardin-Simmons; has a line coach pedigree)

Other thoughts:

I'd include Chad Morris, but his success as an OC will get him 5x the salary Lamar is willing to pay and his buyout is big enough that he doesn't have to work the rest of his life, so he'd really have to be hungry to start at the bottom to take the job.

Craig Stump would be one of the best "pluck a HS head coach" options- knows Beaumont as well as anyone. The only downside to Stump- he probably doesn't have a huge Rolodex, so to speak, of guys he can call to fill out his staff.

Now, the totally out-of-the-box idea...

Todd Freakin' Dodge:

- insanely successful high school HC

- probably has a huge desire to get a second shot as a college HC

- would field the call if boosters promised to write the checks to fully guarantee his contract and pay his assistants strong salaries

- and he's a Golden Triangle native

Okay, my take on the matter...

On Art Briles:

Not just "no" but "hell no" on Briles.

He's a good coach, but he'll hurt the university. If you had a teenage daughter, would you want her attending a college where Art Briles is an authority figure? If he had a great first two seasons, (we'll say he goes 18-7, makes the playoffs both years and even wins a playoff game), would the success be worth the NATIONAL bad publicity?

On Applewhite and Fedora:

While there's no stink on them like Briles, their sights are on bigger jobs than that. They'd take another year as a coordinator over a minimum of 3 years rebuilding an FCS program before they'd get another shot to have the Fox40 whistle around their neck.

Of coaches that are potential candidates (who would at least take the phone call and probably interview):

- Joey McGuire (AHC and recruiting coordinator at Baylor; former HC at Cedar Hill)

- Corby Meekins (Receivers coach at Texas; former HC at (Spring) Westfield HS)

- Craig Stump (former West Brook HC and current coach at Atascocita HS)

- Marquel Blackwell (Co-OC at Houston, resume screams that he's just a flat good coach who HCs find a spot for)

- Jesse Burleson (HC at Hardin-Simmons; has a line coach pedigree)

Other thoughts:

I'd include Chad Morris, but his success as an OC will get him 5x the salary Lamar is willing to pay and his buyout is big enough that he doesn't have to work the rest of his life, so he'd really have to be hungry to start at the bottom to take the job.

Craig Stump would be one of the best "pluck a HS head coach" options- knows Beaumont as well as anyone. The only downside to Stump- he probably doesn't have a huge Rolodex, so to speak, of guys he can call to fill out his staff.

Now, the totally out-of-the-box idea...

Todd Freakin' Dodge:

- insanely successful high school HC

- probably has a huge desire to get a second shot as a college HC

- would field the call if boosters promised to write the checks to fully guarantee his contract and pay his assistants strong salaries

- and he's a Golden Triangle native

I could see Todd Dodge if he brought in a strong DC.