***Lamar Football Coaching Search***

KABrother88

You haven’t been in our facilities yet you say they aren’t better than top high school’s? Have you even been in our stsdium?? We aren’t FBS but we probably have the best facilities in the SLC? Our stadium holds more than all those you list except Allen, unless I’m mistaken. I believe we built a brand new workout/locker room facility when Woodard was here. Perhapps you need to check out our facilities and then update your post. I have no clue about those high schools but I’d doubt we aren’t at least on par. Either way, it doesn’t matter all that much. What matters is how we compare to others in our conference and how much we are willing to pay a head coach

No, that's what someone else was asserting in saying that Dodge would stay at Westlake because of facilities there.

I was saying that, if Westlake's facilities were a reason he'd stay there versus going to LU, we need to upgrade ours. I'd heard nothing but good things- but hadn't seen them myself (other than the stadium... though the Monday-to-Friday facilities are equally, if not more, important).

Edited by TexGator

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless Dodge is itching to be a college coach I seriously doubt he’d leave one of the best HS gigs in Texas, in the richest, nicest part of Austin to come to Beaumont to a program with a history of losing. I doubt the pay and facilities are that much better at LU.

It continues to amaze me how lowly our own fans view our situation. People honestly think a high school job is better than ours??? Just unreal. The only sane reason a high school coach wouldn’t be interested is they are totally content in where they are (ie, age, don’t want pressure of college, just love high school, etc). This apparently will be a shocker to most if y’all but, yes, an LU head coaching job is a promotion/advancement over high school. Good lord. All that said, Dodge already proved he can’t win in college, so, pass. (Ps, Austin is full of liberal freaks, you can have it)

What's your definition of a "successful" lower level college coach?

There should be tons of successful and ambitious lower level coaches or young assistants. Just like there is an infinite pool of successful and ambitious AD's, like Marco Born, ready to make the jump. Personally, I would like to see an HC , who is late 30's or early 40's, who has some fire to him and is ambitious, who was a successful QB in college and has log time and stats suggesting the ability to coach up QB's and run a passing offense.

I ran across these two names; Scott Carey and Billy Riebock, without too much research. I'm feeling an announcement is coming this week.

Football Scoop is reporting that Jeff Traylor is the leading candidate to be hired as the next HC....of UTSA...

Traylor is the new Head Coach at UTSA. A deal is in place, so expect a formal announcement soon.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28260871/sources-utsa-hiring-arkansas-assistant-jeff-traylor-head-coach

Hopefully, Born has someone else in mind. This recruiting period will be shot if he doesn't name someone soon.

Edited by lamarfan360

Traylor is the new Head Coach at UTSA. A deal is in place, so expect a formal announcement soon.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28260871/sources-utsa-hiring-arkansas-assistant-jeff-traylor-head-coach

Hopefully, Born has someone else in mind. This recruiting period will be shot if he doesn't name someone soon.

That should make my old buddy Puddin happy! God knows that he would have taken the job and run the ball on every down had UTSA not offered him 3+ times what we could offer....LOL!!

Edited by NorthoftheBorder
Saw that his base at UTSA is $800k

In all seriousness, I think Traylor was a quality candidate. I don't know if he would have been successful here or will be at UTSA. I am concerned with our administrations track record over the last 40 years (not counting Jimmy Simmons) making athletic leadership decisions, that we will not really attract great candidates. Hopefully we will find a diamond in the rough and give him his launching pad to stardom!!!

And the official announcement has been made.

So, time to look elsewhere.

Didn't see anyone on the NAIA level... but Brian Mayper at ETBU was on Woodard's first staff (before being named HC at Navarro, where he had a run-first offense).

There should be tons of successful and ambitious lower level coaches or young assistants. Just like there is an infinite pool of successful and ambitious AD's, like Marco Born, ready to make the jump. Personally, I would like to see an HC , who is late 30's or early 40's, who has some fire to him and is ambitious, who was a successful QB in college and has log time and stats suggesting the ability to coach up QB's and run a passing offense.

I ran across these two names; Scott Carey and Billy Riebock, without too much research. I'm feeling an announcement is coming this week.

Why Riebock rather than Bailiff? No on Carey