Blane Morgan named Head Football Coach

KABrother88

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can already tell you from this vlog that it’s going to be night and day. This guys coming in with a welcoming attitude, which is different than what Schultz had. I mean come on, who doesn’t like Adam Sandler movies.

This guy is a180 from Cardinal coaches of the past. A genuine good guy with a great attitude that will pay dividends while recruiting. Someone Lamar can be proud of with no negative baggage. My skepticism has turned to optimism the more I learn about Coach Morgan!

This guy is a180 from Cardinal coaches of the past. A genuine good guy with a great attitude that will pay dividends while recruiting. Someone Lamar can be proud of with no negative baggage. My skepticism has turned to optimism the more I learn about Coach Morgan!

I agree. I believe what you see is what you get. I think his staff will reflect the same values. Good times a comin.

He was a co offensive coordinator at AF....before being demoted

Demoted? He went from Co-OC under Calhoun to OC at a better program. Would you consider it a "demotion" to go from co-OC at Kansas to QB Coach at Texas?

And to those who are saying he's not accomplished,

- 4 of 5 seasons at SDSU, 9+ wins (if they win their bowl, that becomes 4 of 5 seasons with 10 wins

- one of the most successful QBs in service academy history (probably 2nd best in my lifetime behind Keenan Reynolds at Navy... so, when he left, many said he was the best at a service academy since Staubach)

- a plethora of big-time accomplishments related to passing efficiency at both the AFA and SDSU- rating, TD/INT ratio, consecutive passes/games without a pick, completion percentage, etc.

- by my count, 12 bowl games in 13 seasons as an assistant (and that's out of the MWC- not exactly a conference with 9 bowl tie-ins)

Here’s an older article on Blane Morgan.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sdut-aztecs-blane-morgan-qb-coach-like-rocky-long-2015feb09-story.html

From this article and another I read, I think he’ll be throwing the ball more than what we expect.

Considering that SDSU ran a pro-style system, I'd say so.

Wouldn't mind a touch of a triple-option thrown in to confuse- the same way I'd want any OC to show a dozen options out of a base formation to make the defense have to guess. Wasn't Tebow's most effective play at Florida when he'd fake the dive and throw the alley-oop to a TE or receiver 5 yards deep in the end zone... thus making his next drive more effective because it pulled a LB or safety away from the middle of the line.

Demoted? He went from Co-OC under Calhoun to OC at a better program. Would you consider it a "demotion" to go from co-OC at Kansas to QB Coach at Texas?

And to those who are saying he's not accomplished,

- 4 of 5 seasons at SDSU, 9+ wins (if they win their bowl, that becomes 4 of 5 seasons with 10 wins

- one of the most successful QBs in service academy history (probably 2nd best in my lifetime behind Keenan Reynolds at Navy... so, when he left, many said he was the best at a service academy since Staubach)

- a plethora of big-time accomplishments related to passing efficiency at both the AFA and SDSU- rating, TD/INT ratio, consecutive passes/games without a pick, completion percentage, etc.

- by my count, 12 bowl games in 13 seasons as an assistant (and that's out of the MWC- not exactly a conference with 9 bowl tie-ins)

He was demoted while at Air Force...

heres a good article on him

https://gazette.com/sports/former-qb-longtime-coach-blane-morgan-explains-departure-from-air/article_9a76928e-0895-5b3f-8a6c-1af91dc94caf.html

I think one of Schultz’ big deals was the ole passing efficiency...what that really means is you dont throw many passes over 5 yards

That said, I hope he does great

Edited by puddin tane

Considering that SDSU ran a pro-style system, I'd say so.

Wouldn't mind a touch of a triple-option thrown in to confuse- the same way I'd want any OC to show a dozen options out of a base formation to make the defense have to guess. Wasn't Tebow's most effective play at Florida when he'd fake the dive and throw the alley-oop to a TE or receiver 5 yards deep in the end zone... thus making his next drive more effective because it pulled a LB or safety away from the middle of the line.

well, he been playing /coaching for 30 years or so...all but the last five have been triple option. I dont think you have to worth about that too much.

It will be at least nine months before Lamar fans really see what kind of schemes his team will run and even longer until you can judge whether Morgan was a good hire or not. But everything that has been presented by the posted articles and quotes from his former coaches and peers, indicates Morgan is a young man of integrity that wants to do it right.

well, he been playing /coaching for 30 years or so...all but the last five have been triple option. I dont think you have to worth about that too much.

Well San Diego State put up 510 yards total offense. Most of the rushing yards were in the 2nd half after the outcome was assured. Looks like Morgan knows how to throw the ball.

Well San Diego State put up 510 yards total offense. Most of the rushing yards were in the 2nd half after the outcome was assured. Looks like Morgan knows how to throw the ball.

San Diego State finished last in their conference in points per game and near the bottom in passing yards per game. They were successful because of their defense. He seems to be a very likable guy but I would love to know who the other candidates were. Seems to me he has a pretty weak resume. The hire makes no sense to me other than he’s likable. Will be interesting to see who he hires as offensive coordinator.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Still looking forward to Morgan's first season. Everyone should take note right now that he has lost three to six months of preparation for his team. Offseason strength and conditioning is mostly lost. The opportunity to begin implementing what ever offensive and defensive schemes he plans to run during spring practice. Fortunately at least the rest of the conference is missing out on some of the same things, but I think for a first season missing spring practice is huge. Still wishing Morgan and staff the best.

Still looking forward to Morgan's first season. Everyone should take note right now that he has lost three to six months of preparation for his team. Offseason strength and conditioning is mostly lost. The opportunity to begin implementing what ever offensive and defensive schemes he plans to run during spring practice. Fortunately at least the rest of the conference is missing out on some of the same things, but I think for a first season missing spring practice is huge. Still wishing Morgan and staff the best.

Assuming we have football this fall, it won't surprise me if we go like 2-9. Maybe 1-10.... We don't have a lot returning - five starters on both sides of the ball. I like Blane Morgan but this thing will not turn around overnight. I look for it to get rolling in year 3.