Blane Morgan named Head Football Coach

KABrother88

That sounds like a terrible head coach to be under. Every year assistants take new head coaching positions at other schools and typically they leave the prior team then. Usually the only times they remain on staff for the bowl game is when the old team is in the playoffs and chasing a national championship...happened multiple times with Alabama in the last few years. With the introduction of the December signing period you are killing any chance for the coach to establish relationships with recruits for his new school and setting him up to fail. 99.9% of coaches in the nation want the chance to ultimately be a head coach...now the SDSU HC wants to handcuff and openly threaten an assistant who is potentially achieving that goal...and doing it at a school that should not even be a blip on his radar. That is messed up.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds like a terrible head coach to be under. Every year assistants take new head coaching positions at other schools and typically they leave the prior team then. Usually the only times they remain on staff for the bowl game is when the old team is in the playoffs and chasing a national championship...happened multiple times with Alabama in the last few years. With the introduction of the December signing period you are killing any chance for the coach to establish relationships with recruits for his new school and setting him up to fail. 99.9% of coaches in the nation want the chance to ultimately be a head coach...now the SDSU HC wants to handcuff and openly threaten an assistant who is potentially achieving that goal...and doing it at a school that should not even be a blip on his radar. That is messed up.

Agreed, he sounds like an real jerk.

Agreed. What a jackass

Agreed. Rocky Long must be a real jerk. We can pretty much forget about a top recruiting class this year but that was expected with the search taking so long. I'm pulling for Coach Morgan and I believe he'll succeed.

I don’t understand the hire. No head coaching experience. OC/QB coach at Air Force. What does the OC/QB coach do at AF. They rarely throw and the basically run the same play to both sides of the field. He did get removed as the OC at Air Force which worries me, and a mediocre at best offense at SDSU. I am disappointed this is the best Born could come up with. I wish we new why he got the job.

I don’t understand the hire. No head coaching experience. OC/QB coach at Air Force. What does the OC/QB coach do at AF. They rarely throw and the basically run the same play to both sides of the field. He did get removed as the OC at Air Force which worries me, and a mediocre at best offense at SDSU. I am disappointed this is the best Born could come up with. I wish we new why he got the job.

Born probably had as much say so in the hire as me or you

That's one LU football tradition that has withstood the test of time!

Does anyone know if Morgan has a connection with someone at LU? Generally through the years, it has been the "Good Ole Boy" syndrome at Pecker Tech where the best person wasn't hired, but someone who had connections with the powers at be that gets the job. Just wondering. Then again, Morgan may be way better than Walden will ever be and we will all love him and be severely depressed when he leaves.

I know Puddin wouldn't mind seeing the ball thrown on every offensive play, but I enjoyed Kade Harrington's running. If you're going to pass you need to complete them. Only thing worse than three and out on three straight running plays is three straight incompletions. The first takes about three minutes of game time the second takes maybe forty five seconds. I hope Coach Morgan can develop a QB with a good completion percentage and an O-line that can protect the QB and open some holes for the running backs. I also hope he has a QB recruit in mind as neither of the potential returning QBs had a decent completion percentage. Won't say that Schultz left the cupboards empty but the QB cupboard sure doesn't have much in it.

I know Puddin wouldn't mind seeing the ball thrown on every offensive play, but I enjoyed Kade Harrington's running. If you're going to pass you need to complete them. Only thing worse than three and out on three straight running plays is three straight incompletions. The first takes about three minutes of game time the second takes maybe forty five seconds. I hope Coach Morgan can develop a QB with a good completion percentage and an O-line that can protect the QB and open some holes for the running backs. I also hope he has a QB recruit in mind as neither of the potential returning QBs had a decent completion percentage. Won't say that Schultz left the cupboards empty but the QB cupboard sure doesn't have much in it.

Forever the optimist. Realistically, this is the worst hire since Tony Branch (men’s basketball). I was hoping it was all just a bad dream. I’d love to see the list of names we were considering, I bet I would have had him at the bottom.

We're going to be alright. Watch the arrival video and what a lovely family. He's a good guy and probably a pretty good Texas area recruiter. Get your playoff ticket money ready.

Sounds great but I doubt we'll be in the playoffs next year. Anytime a new regime takes over I like to cut the new guy some slack in Year 1 - because you're hitting the reset button and establishing a new culture - players, coaching staff, etc.... So let's brace ourselves for 3-9, 4-8 at the worst but who knows - we could pull an Incarnate Word with Eric Morris in his first season and make the playoffs!!