2020 Football Recruiting

coachacola

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ja’kevian Wilson, DT, Lamar University

Ja’kevian Wilson was the district 21-6A Defensive Player of the year and a first team Beaumont Enterprise Super Gold selection. Wilson signed his letter of intent to the Lamar University Wednesday morning at the Beaumont United high school field house.

Despite a recent Lamar football coaching change, Wilson still signed with Lamar.

“Coach Morgan is a good guy. He always has a smile on his face,” Wilson said of new Lamar head coach Blane Morgan. “I love his energy and he brings a lot to the table.”

Wilson added he was excited to be a part of Morgan’s first recruiting class.

In his senior season at Beaumont United, Wilson finished with 71 tackles, four sacks, 13 tackles for a loss, one interception, one forced fumble and a fumble recovery..

https://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/hs/article/SETX-football-early-signing-period-begins-today-14915649.php

Sam, being sam, pick up a fine, stellar, student athlete—— previously at Maine, then juco

https://www.wabi.tv/content/news/UMaine-football-player-charged-with-domestic-violence-assault-505505031.html

Looks like the Jacks recruited Houston really hard while Born was fumbling and bumbling around. I am thinking that we all need to have lower expectations for next year, maybe we will be the same 4-8 as this year. And maybe with a full year of recruiting we will see a uptick for the 2021 class. That puts us at a minimum of 2022 seeing marked improvement if Morgan is the real deal! JMHO with at this early stage of the new regime. But I will gladly eat crow if Morgan pulls some rabbits out of the hat at the February signing period and the timeline is accelerated.

Ja’kevian Wilson, DT, Lamar University

Ja’kevian Wilson was the district 21-6A Defensive Player of the year and a first team Beaumont Enterprise Super Gold selection. Wilson signed his letter of intent to the Lamar University Wednesday morning at the Beaumont United high school field house.

Despite a recent Lamar football coaching change, Wilson still signed with Lamar.

“Coach Morgan is a good guy. He always has a smile on his face,” Wilson said of new Lamar head coach Blane Morgan. “I love his energy and he brings a lot to the table.”

Wilson added he was excited to be a part of Morgan’s first recruiting class.

In his senior season at Beaumont United, Wilson finished with 71 tackles, four sacks, 13 tackles for a loss, one interception, one forced fumble and a fumble recovery..

https://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/hs/article/SETX-football-early-signing-period-begins-today-14915649.php

I am hoping Jakevian is a diamond in the rough!!

Not to take away the quality of the players who finished their eligibility, but if one believes Lamar's problems last year was the head coach and the schemes used, then why can't Morgan get a decent class to fill the needed gaps and produce an improved performance next year. Hopefully Wilson was one of the top recruits that Lamar wanted before the change was made.

Not to take away the quality of the players who finished their eligibility, but if one believes Lamar's problems last year was the head coach and the schemes used, then why can't Morgan get a decent class to fill the needed gaps and produce an improved performance next year. Hopefully Wilson was one of the top recruits that Lamar wanted before the change was made.
Who says that he will not? How long has Morgan been in charge? Maybe cut him a little slack?

Looks like the Jacks recruited Houston really hard while Born was fumbling and bumbling around. I am thinking that we all need to have lower expectations for next year, maybe we will be the same 4-8 as this year. And maybe with a full year of recruiting we will see a uptick for the 2021 class. That puts us at a minimum of 2022 seeing marked improvement if Morgan is the real deal! JMHO with at this early stage of the new regime. But I will gladly eat crow if Morgan pulls some rabbits out of the hat at the February signing period and the timeline is accelerated.

Going 4-7... maybe even 3-8 will not make me less excited about the positive direction of this program. With a late start on recruiting a losing record next year should be expected. Anytime a new coach takes over I think it's fair to give the staff a free pass the first year - after all you're pretty much hitting the reset button. So say 4-7 next year... With a full recruiting class we get to .500 in year 2, and by the third year I think we'll be on the brink of being contenders.

Edited by robertobutler

I won't hold next years record against Morgan, but again I say the cupboard is not bare of quality players except maybe at QB. Since Morgan was a QB and a QB coach, I will assume he can find one that can play at the FCS level. No it probably won't be a great recruiting class, but realistically he needs to fill some holes not start over. Depth may be an issue with less than a full recruiting effort. My opinion from what I have read is that Morgan will take the players he inherited and adjust his first year schemes to work with their skills as opposed to trying to force a scheme. Also if he goes 4-7 next year and there is no NAIA school on the schedule I might consider that an improvement. I say 4-7 because I don't think LU can schedule twelve games next year. It may have changed but there used to be restrictions on how often a FCS school can have a twelve game schedule. I would also be ok with only five home games if it meant another FCS game as opposed to playing a patsy.