I was on the fence about whether to write about the Cowboys or the Texans but I just can’t get over the deal Bill O’Brien made with the Arizona Cardinals yesterday. The Texans offense just got significantly worse after he pulled the trigger on one the stupidest deals I have ever seen. To me, trading the best wide receiver in the game in the prime of his career was a move that is on a par with the colossally stupid deal the Vikings made to get Herschel Walker from the Dallas Cowboys. The Vikings gave up 14 draft picks to get Walker who thought he was the missing piece of the puzzle to get the Vikes back to the Super Bowl. That giant thud you heard back in the day was the Vikings plans falling flat on the ground while the Cowboys used all those draft picks to build the team of the 1990s winning 3 Super Bowls in 4 years. The Vikings haven’t been to a Super Bowl since the 1970s.

Last fall you sort of felt good about Bill O’Brien for pulling the trigger on a deal with Miami to get LT Laremy Tunsil and an oh-by-the-way addition to the trade was WR Kenny Stills. Not bad, Bill. He got his franchise left tackle and a compliment to DeAndre Hopkins who did have Will Fuller but that guy has missed as many games as he’s played in the four years since he was drafted in the first round by the Texans. Fuller really seems like he could be considered a bust simply because he can’t stay healthy.

This deal makes the Texans offense a lame duck offense and takes away the one guy Desean Watson could count on. Let’s take a look at this deal, shall we? Arizona gets Hopkins, arguably the best WR in the NFL and a 2021 fourth round pick plus they will have Hopkins under contract for 3 more years plus his salary. Hopkins wanted to renegotiate his deal with Houston and speculation has that Hopkins was not a Bill O fan. He may feel a lot better going to a franchise with a good young QB in Kyler Murray, a really good young RB in Kenyon Drake and there is always Larry Fitzgerald, the ageless wonder who will now see a lot of single coverage. Win-win for the Cardinals and Hopkins. The Texans get a broken down shadow of what he once was in RB David Johnson who brings with him a huge salary the Cardinals were dying to unload. Johnson will now be paid around $13 MM dollars over the next 12 months which is wildly too much money for guy who has hardly played the last 3 seasons. The Texans get the Cards 2nd round pick in this year’s draft and a 4th round pick in 2021.

I don’t always agree with Fred Faour and AJ Hoffman on ESPN radio’s afternoon radio show called, “The Blitz”, but I listened to the show on the way home from work yesterday and they were ripping O’Brien a new one over this deal and I only wish they had ripped harder. After Houston leapt out to a 24 point lead against Kansas City in the playoffs this past January only to lose to the eventual Super Bowl champs Fred and AJ were done with Bill O’Brien. At the time I wasn’t as anti-Bill as they were but, now I am all on board with the fire Bill train. The Texans were my favorite AFC team and my ultimate dream was, and is, to see a Texas Super Bowl but, I can’t root for the Texans as long as BOB is running the show in Houston. O’Brien pooped in his own punch bowl and I, for one, refuse to drink any of that Kool-Aid. Only a new coach and a new GM who bring their own new punch bowl will work for me now.