Coach Tic Price

lamarfan360

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not believe so. Having watched some of the WAC games since the announcement, I would rate almost all of the current WAC coaches that I have seen better than Price from a coaching standpoint and probably recruiting wise unless there is enough difference in league reputations that recruits would pick a WAC school over a Southland.

Price has only won 2 games that could be deemed upsets. SFA at home in 2OT & Sam on a last second shot. Both those games could have easily gone the other way. From a body of work standpoint, I say no way we renew his contract.

If you are satisfied with mediocrity or worse, Tic is your man!

I can only see one reason to keep him another year. That would be to get the transition made to the WAC, see how you really stack up on talent and give Price a chance to get to three hundred career wins. Granted I don't think that is a very good reason. For me Price is an average coach and while he got the Cards out of the bottom of the basement he will never get them to the penthouse.

I can only see one reason to keep him another year. That would be to get the transition made to the WAC, see how you really stack up on talent and give Price a chance to get to three hundred career wins. Granted I don't think that is a very good reason. For me Price is an average coach and while he got the Cards out of the bottom of the basement he will never get them to the penthouse.

I just don't want to lose Harrison or Muoka to transfer if Coach Price isn't retained. There is some talent on the roster and if he can sign another big we could be pretty good next year. I don't want another Pat Knight here!

Yea, I could see Harrison transferring to a higher reputation conference if Price is canned. I think Muoka would stay. He has improved a bunch late in this season but I don't see him ready to go somewhere with a lot better competition. He wouldn't stack up to the six ten to seven footers in the stronger conferences. Take the WAC for example, Asborn Mitgard at GCU is a star, but could only get about five minutes a game at Wichita State the previous year. He was one of the top candidates for WAC Players of the Year. Yes I think he improved this year, but I don't know if he would have had a similar experience at WSU this year.

I just don't want to lose Harrison or Muoka to transfer if Coach Price isn't retained. There is some talent on the roster and if he can sign another big we could be pretty good next year. I don't want another Pat Knight here!

If Harrison is going to leave, he is thinking of it now. Why would he stay for Price? Muoka is still a project big man with limited offensive skills. I would think none of the top SLC teams would start him. We have to make the transition to get better or we will not win more than 4 games per season for the next 2 years.

Anyone here think ACU was going to destroy Nichols 79-45,much worse than they beat lamar tonight.Nichols was more rested too.ACU plays well on both ends of the floor and has depth.With the area talent at Beaumont United,Silsbee etc. that has to be considered in evaluating Tic.With the signing of the Lumberton star and Harrison he has managed to keep some really good local talent here and got us off the academic probation and scholarship loss mess Knight left us in when Knight finished 5-50.With all players eligible to return due to pandemic exception this team could really be interesting next year given their 6 game winning streak at the end that included conference leaders Sam and SFA.Also the development of Harrison and Muoka has to be credited some to the current coaches.Tough coaching retention call to be made and the pandemic has to be considered too and how it limited coach and player participation for weeks in practices.I support whatever Marco decides and wish Coach Price and his family well.He has served Lamar and its students well in multiple roles.I remember being surprised one Sunday afternoon talking to him covering softball games for Jason Henderson when needed as Jason was involved covering baseball.

Anyone here think ACU was going to destroy Nichols 79-45,much worse than they beat lamar tonight.Nichols was more rested too.ACU plays well on both ends of the floor and has depth.With the area talent at Beaumont United,Silsbee etc. that has to be considered in evaluating Tic.With the signing of the Lumberton star and Harrison he has managed to keep some really good local talent here and got us off the academic probation and scholarship loss mess Knight left us in when Knight finished 5-50.With all players eligible to return due to pandemic exception this team could really be interesting next year given their 6 game winning streak at the end that included conference leaders Sam and SFA.Also the development of Harrison and Muoka has to be credited some to the current coaches.Tough coaching retention call to be made and the pandemic has to be considered too and how it limited coach and player participation for weeks in practices.I support whatever Marco decides and wish Coach Price and his family well.He has served Lamar and its students well in multiple roles.I remember being surprised one Sunday afternoon talking to him covering softball games for Jason Henderson when needed as Jason was involved covering baseball.

The coach at ACU has been there for 10 years and they were terrible as a DII school. What would they be if he wasn't given time? Coach Price has scheduled sub DI's and honestly I don't care for that but this year was his first losing season. I think you have to see what kind of team he can put together with Harrison and Muoka the cornerstones.

No matter what happens with coach Price I am thankful we did not have the widespread academic deficiencies for many years that reportedly caused SFA to be academically ineligible for the basketball tourniment.They often had the highest athletic budget in the conference and reportedly did not properly calculate APR progress rules under a previous administration.This seemingly provided an unfair advantage in recruiting and retention.It will be interesting how their recruiting goes in many sports as they will probably need to take less chances on academics and maybe recruit a few more marginal players with very strong academic records to get their APR up to qualifying levels.This also can make them ineligible for up to $500,000 in NCAA academic performance money.Thus ,remember what Coach Price had to deal with in recruiting as it relates to academics for a few years in improving a 4 year APR average.On the flip side,he has a much better budget than the Louisiana Universities and barring major hardship should beat them more often than not.I leave the call on Coach Price to those who make this their profession daily and work with him in all capacities from personal attributes and challenges to how much money in guarantee games he is required to schedule to academic,attendance and winning requirements.Congrats also to the Ladies for a solid year and I look forward to next year.

On a side note, McNeese has let go their Cowgirls basketball coach, Kacie Cryer, after 5 year stint in Lake Chuck. McNeese WBB was 7-17 this past year (sound familiar) and qualified for the SLC Tournament.

Maybe Lamar will continue the tradition and Aqua Franklin will hire her as an assistant.

McNeese men's coach is also stepping down. He was both BB HC and Athletic Director. He will just focus on the AD job now. You have to respect someone that puts the school ahead of their ego. Edited by geezer

I think Larry Tidwel also found out how tough it is to do his best having the dual responsibilities of head coach and AD.Interestingly Heath Schroyers wife played for Tidwell long ago at TCU.Also Kacie Kryer was Brooks Donald Williams top assistant at McNeese when they were pretty salty with the 3 Baggett sisters.Brooks used her success to eventually end up heaf coach at Louisiana Monroe .As a head coach her recruiting successes dwindled and they finished this year losing 6 straight games unlike our girls and boys teams.Coaches I talked to said her ladies performed academically and respected her especially when she was Brooks assistant and head of recruiting.That

Archie Miller let go by Indiana. Would this be a possibility for Lamar? Is it someone they should look at? Granted the last coach that had Indiana ties at LU sucked so maybe not and it appears per the reports about his firing it was at least in part to his inability to recruit the big time player needed for success in a power conference. On the other hand Bryce Drew has done alright at GCU after getting canned at Vanderbilt.

Archie Miller let go by Indiana. Would this be a possibility for Lamar? Is it someone they should look at? Granted the last coach that had Indiana ties at LU sucked so maybe not and it appears per the reports about his firing it was at least in part to his inability to recruit the big time player needed for success in a power conference. On the other hand Bryce Drew has done alright at GCU after getting canned at Vanderbilt.

Archie Miller, who got the door at Indiana was very successful previously at Dayton for 6 years. Here he got a $10 million dollar buyout from Indiana and he is only 39 years old. I believe his record this year was 12-13, or something like that. I say give him a shot at an interview if he is interested.

Good coaches are being fired from the power programs. It is time for Born to say one way or the other on Price. New Mexico fired their coach last week and picked up a new coach today from one that was fired yesterday. It will remain to be seen if they made the correct hire or did not take enough time looking, but coaching changes are beginning to move quickly and Lamar should not want to miss out on a chance at a proven winner let go by a power conference school.