New Lamar Men's Coach

TexGator

Next Head Hoops Coach - Who Ya Got?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Next Head Hoops Coach - Who Ya Got?

• Shaka Smart - He can make us the new VCU (and comes on the cheap)
    • Alvin Brooks III - Alvin's boy can do it!
    • Kellen Sampson - He'll return to UH in a few years, he'll be the new Pat Foster
    • Other - elaborate please

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Giovanie is an example of a coach Lamar either was a little impatient with as the university and boosters were still too tied to the glory days or he could not or would not recruit the level and size of talent needed to get back to the glory days. It is a combination of size and talent. In the 1990s six foot guards were the norm, today six foot three is probably the average height of a Power Conference point guard. Edited by geezer

Will have to wait and see, but as far as Kopp is concerned, I see him leaving as a positive. Lamar will need more than two or three new players to compete in the WAC. Kopp got more than his earned playing time based on his stats. I doubt he would get a look by a better program. Nutall from Sam Houston has also entered the transfer portal. He is looking for a higher reputation program I would expect.

On a related note, here's an update on the coaching search of future conference foe UTRGV (from hoopdirt.com):

Obviously a tough situation at UTRGV as they look to hire a new head coach after the passing of Lew Hill. The three names that I have heard so far are Texas associate head coach K.T. Turner, Oklahoma assistant Pooh Williamson, and Texas Tech assistant Ulric Maligi.

(I guess apostrophes are not working...ugh!)

If you want to take a chance on damaged goods, my top choice is Greg Marshall former coach at Wichita State. He has something like a .750 winning percentage as a head coach.

Not a fan of basketball juco coaches. Another coach I would consider is Tommy Conner, asst. at Utah.

That are plenty of top notch assistants out there, issue is are the willing to come to Lamar?

Greg Marshall would be great!

On a related note, here's an update on the coaching search of future conference foe UTRGV (from hoopdirt.com):

Obviously a tough situation at UTRGV as they look to hire a new head coach after the passing of Lew Hill. The three names that I have heard so far are Texas associate head coach K.T. Turner, Oklahoma assistant Pooh Williamson, and Texas Tech assistant Ulric Maligi.

(I guess apostrophes are not working...ugh!)

Ulric Maligi is on my short list. Was an asst at SFA prior to Tx Tech.

Marvin Menzies is another possibility. Former HC and New Mexico State, left there to take over UNLV. Did not have the same success at UNLV. Two years ago was an assistant at Grand Canyon and with their coaching change last year did not coach this past year. Definitely knows how to win in the WAC. Question is was his previous success at NMSU based on his ability or on their reputation?

What I was afraid of; Kasen Harrison is entering the transfer portal. Geez, he was on his way to being the best point guard in the history of Lamar University. Now, he is just history.

These kids better watch out getting into the transfer portal. In FBS football 987 players entered the portal with approximately 600 maximum scholarships available. So at least 300 just gave up their opportunity to play under scholarship in the FBS and FCS. They do have options going to D2 and NAIA. D3 is non-scholarship. Western Kentucky led the NCAA in football transfers at 21 players, Univ. of Tennessee was 2nd at 19 players. This does not include graduate transfers.

Marvin Menzies is another possibility. Former HC and New Mexico State, left there to take over UNLV. Did not have the same success at UNLV. Two years ago was an assistant at Grand Canyon and with their coaching change last year did not coach this past year. Definitely knows how to win in the WAC. Question is was his previous success at NMSU based on his ability or on their reputation?

Why do you want a washed up former coach? We

The number of scholarships will be limited as all players get an extra year due to Pandemic.Thus fewer seniors leaving.Coach Price had a very good relationship with his players and many schools are seeing players of all skillsets and classes enter the portal.Up until Tic being fired Lamar was in good shape with a couple really good portal players. A new coach should bring similar contacts and assistants with player contacts too. Branden was key with local players and local coach relationships according to a few prominent local coaches I know.

The number of scholarships will be limited as all players get an extra year due to Pandemic.Thus fewer seniors leaving.Coach Price had a very good relationship with his players and many schools are seeing players of all skillsets and classes enter the portal.Up until Tic being fired Lamar was in good shape with a couple really good portal players. A new coach should bring similar contacts and assistants with player contacts too. Branden was key with local players and local coach relationships according to a few prominent local coaches I know.

This transfer portal stuff is total garbage. Only players that should be allowed to transfer are those where the head coach changes. Either that or they lose 2 years eligibility.

These kids better watch out getting into the transfer portal. In FBS football 987 players entered the portal with approximately 600 maximum scholarships available. So at least 300 just gave up their opportunity to play under scholarship in the FBS and FCS. They do have options going to D2 and NAIA. D3 is non-scholarship. Western Kentucky led the NCAA in football transfers at 21 players, Univ. of Tennessee was 2nd at 19 players. This does not include graduate transfers.

This does not make sense. If 987 entered then shouldnt that open up 987?

Ulric Maligi is on my short list. Was an asst at SFA prior to Tx Tech.

I would prefer a successful head coach at collegiate level. If we cannot find that person then Maligi appears to be a very good option. We just have not had any luck with assistants in the past. (Of course, I guess we have not had much luck with those with previous head coaching experience either. Lol. Uggh.)

Edited by PeckEm

I am confused. What good local players have we had? I can only think of Atwood and Harrison. And Harrison is leaving before he even knows what is going to happen with Chappel.

Why do you want a washed up former coach? We

Because he was not successful enough at UNLV does not necessarily mean he is washed up. Also we are just throwing out names. I am like a couple of others in that if we could convince Greg Marshall to come to Lamar I would be thrilled. Even with his baggage. I feel similar about Archie Miller. I doubt Lamar could land either of them but here is hoping. I will let the AD do his job and then evaluate in a couple of years. Like I stated early on in this thread "this is the biggest decision Marco Born will make to date", he needs to get it right and the proof will take a few years. The best thing that can happen is Lamar gets a coach that a bigger school wants to poach in a few years.

I would prefer a successful head coach at collegiate level. If we cannot find that person then Maligi appears to be a very good option. We just have not had any luck with assistants in the past. (Of course, I guess we have not had much luck with those with previous head coaching experience either. Lol. Uggh.)

Pat Foster was an assistant at Arkansas before being hire as Billy Tubbs replacement. I know that is a long time ago but we have had success with assistants.

If we go with an assistant instead of a head coach Alvin Brooks III is looking pretty good to me.

https://baylorbears.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/alvin-brooks-iii/1626

Edited by lamarfan360

This does not make sense. If 987 entered then shouldnt that open up 987?

Most schools used the vacancies to sign juco or freshman since there are scholarship limitations on total scholarships. Those limitations apply to active players and redshirts. Limit for FBS football is 85 scholarships. Even if the kid is on academic scholarship, his scholarship counts against the limit.

Pat Foster was an assistant at Arkansas before being hire as Billy Tubbs replacement. I know that is a long time ago but we have had success with assistants.

If we go with an assistant instead of a head coach Alvin Brooks III is looking pretty good to me.

https://baylorbears.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/alvin-brooks-iii/1626

My opinion is you can not draw any conclusions of a head coach or an assistant, except a former head coach gives you a bit more info on how he would run the program & what offense/defense he may implement.

Examples:

Tubbs: D2 HC - left for better job

Foster: D1 Asst - left for better job

Newell: Mid-major HC - fired

Branch: D1 asst - fired

Abatamarco: D1 asst - fired

Giovani: D2 HC - fired

Dean: D1 HC - fired

Tubbs: D1 HC - retired from coaching

Rocaforte: D1 asst - fired

Knight: D1 HC - fired

Price: Mid major HC - fired

I may have left off a coach or got the order messed up a bit.

One thing that is certain, whoever selected most of these coaches should not be on the selection committee.

Edited by Skinny1