New Lamar Men's Coach

TexGator

Next Head Hoops Coach - Who Ya Got?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Next Head Hoops Coach - Who Ya Got?

• Shaka Smart - He can make us the new VCU (and comes on the cheap)
    • Alvin Brooks III - Alvin's boy can do it!
    • Kellen Sampson - He'll return to UH in a few years, he'll be the new Pat Foster
    • Other - elaborate please

Potential hires that I'm immediately thinking of:

- Shaka Smart (we all know he's probably toast in Austin- really good coach, but never could do it in that pressure cooker)

- Alvin Brooks III (yes, Alvin's kid; on Scott Drew's staff at Baylor and was born while his dad was playing at Lamar)

- Kellen Sampson (Kelvin's kid- also an assistant at UH with Brooks; probably hungry to prove himself before he takes over for his dad and might being Brooks Jr. to be an assistant at his dad's alma mater)

Other than Tubbs and Roccaforte (who were obvious calls), the last time we didn't go with a retread of someone who was mediocre at his last stop was Grey Giovanine.

These guys wouldn't be that sort of coach. They have won and could get into every living room they want... and coach those kids up.

Though, in checking out Shaka's record, he's actually only win 2 NCAA Tournament games since that Final Four run (and none in the last 8 years).

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alvin Brooks III is intriguing but I'd prefer an individual with head coaching experience. I'd also like the coach going up the coaching ladder instead of going down. If you know what I mean?

I hope Marco Born is willing to pay for a good coach.

Edited by lamarfan360

Alvin Brooks III is intriguing but I'd prefer an individual with head coaching experience. I'd also like the coach going up the coaching ladder instead of going down. If you know what I mean?

Kind of a narrow window of "head coaching experience" and "moving up"... Brooks and Sampson are both assistants at elite programs and would probably see Lamar as a stepping stone.

Hadn't thought about it, but going the way of David Green might not be bad either.

My first choice would be someone like Bryce Drew who GCU hired in last year. Reasonably young, formerly successful at the mid major level, that didn't make it a power school. They know what it takes. Archie Miller would be one that was let go this year. Next choice is successful head coach from a top D2 or juco program. Question there is do they know the quality of player they need to be successful at this level? Next possibly someone that was successful at a better D1 program but has some baggage. Kelvin Sampson at Houston is an example of that kind of coach and so far he has proven to be worth the chance Houston took on him.

My first choice would be someone like Bryce Drew who GCU hired in last year. Reasonably young, formerly successful at the mid major level, that didn't make it a power school. They know what it takes. Archie Miller would be one that was let go this year. Next choice is successful head coach from a top D2 or juco program. Question there is do they know the quality of player they need to be successful at this level? Next possibly someone that was successful at a better D1 program but has some baggage. Kelvin Sampson at Houston is an example of that kind of coach and so far he has proven to be worth the chance Houston took on him.

I

If you want to take a chance on damaged goods, my top choice is Greg Marshall former coach at Wichita State. He has something like a .750 winning percentage as a head coach.

Not a fan of basketball juco coaches. Another coach I would consider is Tommy Conner, asst. at Utah.

That are plenty of top notch assistants out there, issue is are the willing to come to Lamar?

Edited by Skinny1

If you want to take a chance on damaged goods, my top choice is Greg Marshall former coach at Wichita State. He has something like a .750 winning percentage as a head coach.

Not a fan of basketball juco coaches. Another coach I would consider is Tommy Conner, asst. at Utah.

That are plenty of top notch assistants out there, issue is are the willing to come to Lamar?

We need Jerome Tang from Baylor

Shaka Smart just lost to ACU. Might as well try to hire ACU's coach instead!!

Apostrophes actually work again, Price is gone, and UT lost to ACU. What a time to be alive!

We're not stealing away ACU's coach. Golding has no reason to start again "from scratch" since it's not like he's got a bunch of seniors leaving. The cupboard isn't bare.

We need Jerome Tang from Baylor

Tang wouldn't be a bad pick. When I look at a college assistant, I try to check out what they've also done before getting to a school and his time at Heritage Christian in Cleveland both makes me wonder and gives me hope. He basically turned it into the Texas version of the Oak Hill Academy- small school.

He's worth a look. We'll see what Born come up with.

Sampson's baggage was that he got caught doing something most coaches also did, but the NCAA made an example of him... oh yeah, and let's not forget that it's now allowed (and was even allowed by the NCAA before his "show cause" was over).

If we're looking Division II, Tom Brown at West Texas A&M is the first call to make. He inherited a team that went 10-17 and has gone 179-42 since he arrived (and has been the #1 powerhouse in D-II the last four years). He's bound to be happy there, but, even with Lamar being down right now, it's a step up in facilities, a step up in competition, and definitely a step up in salary (from what I saw, he's making about $150K at WTAMU- Lamar boosters should be able to at least double that).

Edited by TexGator

Sampson's baggage was that he got caught doing something most coaches also did, but the NCAA made an example of him... oh yeah, and let's not forget that it's now allowed (and was even allowed by the NCAA before his "show cause" was over).

If we're looking Division II, Tom Brown at West Texas A&M is the first call to make. He inherited a team that went 10-17 and has gone 179-42 since he arrived (and has been the #1 powerhouse in D-II the last four years). He's bound to be happy there, but, even with Lamar being down right now, it's a step up in facilities, a step up in competition, and definitely a step up in salary (from what I saw, he's making about $150K at WTAMU- Lamar boosters should be able to at least double that).

$150K is a very high price for a D2 coach to be making.

By looking at WTAMU record, they run a high powered offense. Their attendance in the past 3 years (not this year), was ~1400 at Canyon versus Lamar at ~2100. This was the 3rd highest average in D2.

Edited by Skinny1

How much of a coaches total compensation package can be tied to incentives? Examples a sizeable incentive tied to APR will ensure Lamar is still going after student athletes. Obviously one tied to attendance. One tied to winning percentage. etc.

My guess is there were communications with University Administration and maybe major funding sources that needed to be satisfied. Doesn't do any good to let a coach go if your not going to be able to get the financial and other support needed to get a quality coach.

My guess is there were communications with University Administration and maybe major funding sources that needed to be satisfied. Doesn't do any good to let a coach go if your not going to be able to get the financial and other support needed to get a quality coach.

My understanding the hold up was within the Lamar administration.

Agreed, but that could have been done weeks ago. My concern is it could cost us time in finding a quality coach and in recruiting.

Maybe BigRedInsider members should start a Go Fund Me site to pay a signing bonus for a new coach?

Last I knew, the funding for the new football field turf has not been secured either.

Edited by Skinny1

Maybe BigRedInsider members should start a Go Fund Me site to pay a signing bonus for a new coach?

Last I knew, the funding for the new football field turf has not been secured either.

I heard Saturday that the field turf has finally been funded and they would start replacing the turf this summer.

Apostrophes actually work again, Price is gone, and UT lost to ACU. What a time to be alive!

Naw, apostrophes still do not work. Thats too much to hope for

hmmmm. Maybe the apostrophe gremlin is only lurkin in replies?

Edited by puddin tane

Tex Gator is doing something different. Maybe a desktop? Tried iPad with auto correct and manually. Did not work. WHATS HIS SECRET?

I will donate after we get rid of 2018 pics on home page and can use punctuation. I know this is easy for young kids , by its killing my old Forest Park self!

Potential hires that I'm immediately thinking of:

- Shaka Smart (we all know he's probably toast in Austin- really good coach, but never could do it in that pressure cooker)

- Alvin Brooks III (yes, Alvin's kid; on Scott Drew's staff at Baylor and was born while his dad was playing at Lamar)

- Kellen Sampson (Kelvin's kid- also an assistant at UH with Brooks; probably hungry to prove himself before he takes over for his dad and might being Brooks Jr. to be an assistant at his dad's alma mater)

Other than Tubbs and Roccaforte (who were obvious calls), the last time we didn't go with a retread of someone who was mediocre at his last stop was Grey Giovanine.

These guys wouldn't be that sort of coach. They have won and could get into every living room they want... and coach those kids up.

Though, in checking out Shaka's record, he's actually only win 2 NCAA Tournament games since that Final Four run (and none in the last 8 years).

yall ever check giovanies record after he left? He went super coach at that little school. Just retired .

https://athletics.augustana.edu/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/grey-giovanine/777