Answer from the AD- Boilerplate

thegovteach57

If that is his answer, then why is our football program getting worse. We fielded a better team the first year football came back to LU. While we all want Lamar Athletics to be a great program, we also want the football team to be a great program as well. What we are doing now is not that!

I would not expect our AD to lay all his cards on the table in a email, but if he is not scanning the country for a possible replacement for Coach Morgan we could have bigger problem. Apathy!

In a earlier post, I mentioned donations. There are corporate sponsors and etc.

For example my brother is a Lamar graduate and football coach at Tomball. His wife is a school teacher in Klein also a LU grad. Their son graduated from LU with an engineering degree. My sister and her husband own several stores with the next one being built in North Vidor. Their daughter is an attorney and yes she is a Lamar grad.

None of my family supports LU athletics financially as in donations . Why? Apathy. There is nothing athletically with the major sports to get excited about. Reason? Losing

Lamar can be special with the right administration and putting winners on the field/court.

If that happens I am sure my family will support their alma mater.

Sorry for the rant, but I am certain there are many families like mine.

Edited by lamarfan360

I would not expect our AD to lay all his cards on the table in a email, but if he is not scanning the country for a possible replacement for Coach Morgan we could have bigger problem. Apathy!

For example my brother is Lamar graduate Football Coach at Tomball. His wife is a school teacher in Klein also a LU grad. Their son graduated from LU with an Engineering degree. My sister and her husband own several stores with the next one being built in North Vidor. Their daughter is an attorney and yes she is a Lamar grad.

None of my family supports LU financially. Why? Apathy. There is nothing athletically with the major sports to get excited about. Reason? Losing

Lamar can be special with the right administration and putting winners on the field/court.

Ok. Well, college is about getting an education and not about athletics. However, in the world we live in, it seems that athletics are extremely influential in determining what a premier university is.

One big issue on the academic side, imho, is our lack of entrance requirements. It is a bit of reverse psychology but we need some fairly stringent entrance requirements. People want what they cannot have or at least what they have to earn. If our requirements are

For example my brother is Lamar graduate Football Coach at Tomball. His wife is a school teacher in Klein also a LU grad. Their son graduated from LU with an Engineering degree. My sister and her husband own several stores with the next one being built in North Vidor. Their daughter is an attorney and yes she is a Lamar grad.

None of my family supports LU financially. Why? Apathy. There is nothing athletically with the major sports to get excited about. Reason? Losing

Ok. Well, college is about getting an education and not about athletics. However, in the world we live in, it seems that athletics are extremely influential in determining what a premier university is.

One big issue on the academic side, imho, is our lack of entrance requirements. It is a bit of reverse psychology but we need some fairly stringent entrance requirements. People want what they cannot have or at least what they have to earn. If our requirements are: can you breathe, That is not going to cut it!

Back to athletics. Fire Morgan, expect better, demand better. If the next hire is a flop, fire him too!

One big issue on the academic side, imho, is our lack of entrance requirements. It is a bit of reverse psychology but we need some fairly stringent entrance requirements. People want what they cannot have or at least what they have to earn. If our requirements are: can you breathe, That is not going to cut it!

Back to athletics. Fire Morgan, expect better, demand better. If the next hire is a flop, fire him too!

Agreed, both my nephews got full-ride academic scholarships. One to Texas A&M the other to Lamar. Guess who makes more? Yep the LU alum.

Main thing is their both happy.

Edited by lamarfan360

• 3 weeks later...

College is about growing as a person- intellectually, emotionally, and socially.

Creating a campus culture is a big piece of what puts college students in a position to grow. Updates to the Montagne so it's a place to enjoy a fun game with friends and build relationships can be a big piece of the pie. I remember going to the Montagne as a kid and there would be 4000+ people at the game (organizations would compete for the biggest turnout, the L-Raisers would make it hard for the opposition to hear themselves- even taking pride in forcing the visitors to move their huddle onto the court so they could hear each other, and the TV stations would talk about the Cardinals daily.

But the biggest component of creating that culture is having a team that's worth giving up your evening to go see. I drove over from Houston to see the opener- thinking back to the crowd to see us play Louisiana Tech, Arkansas State, and the other American South schools... there was an energy to the games and the team would respond. Winning is like a drug- intoxicating and makes you want nothing more than another hit of the adrenaline that comes from winning.

Football is not growing. It's time to rebuild with a new coach, in my opinion. Never know- Jimbo might be available in a couple of weeks. Coaches want a chance to coach. Don't be afraid to go after guys you think are out of your league- the worst thing a guy like Tom Herman could say is "no".

Don't be afraid to go after successful coaches from the D2 and D3 level like: Todd Knight at Ouachita Baptist (52-7 the last 5 years, I believe) or one of the many successful D-III coaches in Texas. There's someone looking to step up and can be the right choice- we'd all love for our coach to use us as a stepping stone because that means they were really successful.

Agreed, both my nephews got full-ride academic scholarships. One to Texas A&M the other to Lamar. Guess who makes more? Yep the LU alum.

Main thing is their both happy.

Daughter - A&M graduate. Son, LIT graduate (well, technically, welding certificate) - son making 2.5 times daughter. Both happy.

College is about growing as a person- intellectually, emotionally, and socially.

Creating a campus culture is a big piece of what puts college students in a position to grow. Updates to the Montagne so it's a place to enjoy a fun game with friends and build relationships can be a big piece of the pie. I remember going to the Montagne as a kid and there would be 4000+ people at the game (organizations would compete for the biggest turnout, the L-Raisers would make it hard for the opposition to hear themselves- even taking pride in forcing the visitors to move their huddle onto the court so they could hear each other, and the TV stations would talk about the Cardinals daily.

But the biggest component of creating that culture is having a team that's worth giving up your evening to go see. I drove over from Houston to see the opener- thinking back to the crowd to see us play Louisiana Tech, Arkansas State, and the other American South schools... there was an energy to the games and the team would respond. Winning is like a drug- intoxicating and makes you want nothing more than another hit of the adrenaline that comes from winning.

Football is not growing. It's time to rebuild with a new coach, in my opinion. Never know- Jimbo might be available in a couple of weeks. Coaches want a chance to coach. Don't be afraid to go after guys you think are out of your league- the worst thing a guy like Tom Herman could say is "no".

Don't be afraid to go after successful coaches from the D2 and D3 level like: Todd Knight at Ouachita Baptist (52-7 the last 5 years, I believe) or one of the many successful D-III coaches in Texas. There's someone looking to step up and can be the right choice- we'd all love for our coach to use us as a stepping stone because that means they were really successful.

Agree with all of this.