McNeese Football Game- Spoke With Alumni Friends

thegovteach57

Was at a gathering last evening( Thursday) with 4 friends. All 4 have degrees from LU( 5 including myself), and all four are convinced nothing will happen to Coach Morgan after the McNeese game, win or lose.

They all believe that the " power brokers" either in Beaumont or with the TSUS could care less about Lamar athletics.

Two of the four are convinced football is doomed and will be gone within 5 years.

One of the four thinks LU should play Division III ball, if we even keep football.

Two of the four had season tickets, but gave them up before COVID.

One is convinced that Morgan is a salesman, thus he being hired.

It make you wonder how prevalent this feeling is about LU Football? Is it doomed?

Was at a gathering last evening( Thursday) with 4 friends. All 4 have degrees from LU( 5 including myself), and all four are convinced nothing will happen to Coach Morgan after the McNeese game, win or lose.

They all believe that the " power brokers" either in Beaumont or with the TSUS could care less about Lamar athletics.

Two of the four are convinced football is doomed and will be gone within 5 years.

One of the four thinks LU should play Division III ball, if we even keep football.

Two of the four had season tickets, but gave them up before COVID.

One is convinced that Morgan is a salesman, thus he being hired.

It make you wonder how prevalent this feeling is about LU Football? Is it doomed?

That's the stupidest shit I've heard today. They'll NEVER kill the program again - no chance. And they aren't dropping down to Division II or III either. Idiots.

Well, I do not think anything presented was the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Why would this not be a consideration. I do not have anything to base my opinion on but what I see. I am not in the loop. I just cannot see how football is doing anything but losing money. I am also worried about losing the program due to lack of interest and attendance. I was told by a player in the 80s that Lamar promised to keep the football program if they sold a number of season tickets. I do not remember the number. That number was met and we still dropped the program. This was from a player, who had graduated, but was trying to help sell season tickets. Our money games were not against big high money programs this year so I do not know how much we made. Our attendance is terrible! I truly hope we do not drop the program or drop down in classification. But to say it is not a possibility is just speculation. I have been involved in LU football since 1982.

Given that they're still spending money on the program, I doubt they're looking to drop the program.

When Alborn was coaching them, he and his staff were barely making more than they would have down the road at a HS.

Morgan and his staff are running a high-dollar program.

The regents aren't looking to meddle. This is an "O'Malley and the donors" situation as the salaries being bought out aren't coming from general funds- they're coming from private donations that are earmarked for the Athletic Department, but even if they were, they'd be meddling in Spivital's buyout first.

Well, I do not think anything presented was the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Why would this not be a consideration. I do not have anything to base my opinion on but what I see. I am not in the loop. I just cannot see how football is doing anything but losing money. I am also worried about losing the program due to lack of interest and attendance. I was told by a player in the 80s that Lamar promised to keep the football program if they sold a number of season tickets. I do not remember the number. That number was met and we still dropped the program. This was from a player, who had graduated, but was trying to help sell season tickets. Our money games were not against big high money programs this year so I do not know how much we made. Our attendance is terrible! I truly hope we do not drop the program or drop down in classification. But to say it is not a possibility is just speculation. I have been involved in LU football since 1982.

You have been involved since 1982 yet you did not know the story about the season ticket drive?

I do 100% believe that Morgan is a great salesman. There is zero other explanation as to how he got the job. I seriously doubt anyone is wanting to kill the program again and I seriously doubt anyone wants us to move down. That sounds absurd

Well ya dont support a program by canceling your tix.

i think everyone gives the AD more power than he actually has. I dont think the AD made the decision to hire morgan and i dont think it will be the AD that makes the decision to fire him. I think when it comes to football and basketball, hes just a booster mouthpiece to do what they want.

If Morgan is gone by the end of next week then we will know O'Malley is serious about his job. If not then it is business as usual.

The new administration has gotten rid of a number of Ken Evans bad choices outside of athletics. That gives me hope that the same will happen in sports.

Side note, for what it's worth, UIW and Northwestern State play for a piece of the conference championship today. Southeastern La will be co-champs with the winner and gets the tie breaker having defeated both of them. Now for tonight's McNeese game, the Cards have a chance and maybe the rivalry will bring out the best of the players. No matter the outcome, Morgan should be let go. Edited by geezer